Swing And A Miss: Oculus’s Attempt To Block Revive App Backfires Badly

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mavikt

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
Why Oculus decided to play "Whack a Mole" is beyond me.

Really?
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/jul/22/facebook-oculus-rift-acquisition-virtual-reality

I'm sure we all know that the Oculus kickstarter enterprise went all Dilbert after FB poured the money over them!
There you go; Idealism vs. Big corporation!

none12345

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2013
As soon as oculus sold out to facebook, you could see the writing on the wall. Before they even had a product to sell, it was destined to be this crap.

Man i really want VR to be a thing, but some forces are trying so hard to kill it before it even has a chance.

Sep 30, 2013
Why Oculus decided to play "Whack a Mole" is beyond me. I was a big supporter of these guys but they have certainly set the record over the last 12 months on bad decisions. Many of the bad decisions just pure stupidity.
Facebook had already done poor decisions so I would never want to support them anyway.

BrutalAttis

Reputable
Feb 3, 2015

Probably because of this crappy forum website (for me, it stutters and double posts), someones comment I had accidentally clicked down vote and could not up vote afterwards. Maybe it was yours? I reread most of you comments ... can't argue with many of them.

As someone that owned both units, I can say as far as the hardware goes both are very very close. Both have trade offs, as exciting as the VR technology is, on both units the low resolution and godrays makes arguing over their quality moot.

However I do take issue with the way Oculus is approaching its business - as a hard core gamer/enthusiast I don't appreciate how they are going about it. Its been a comedy of errors really.

The only way I can vote is with my wallet, which is why I went Vive.

Jeff Fx

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015
Wait, when did they ever say it was okay?

If you have to use a hack to play a game, and the hack gets broken, then why so indignant? Nobody promised it would work. You took that gamble and lost.

They're rightly indignant because Palmer Luckey said they wouldn't do anything to intentionally lock out other headsets. Anyone who bought games from the Oculus store are now locked in, and will lose access to those games when they move on to a better HMD in a year or two.

Oculus wants to move units. It's not about meager game revenue, at this point - they want your eyeballs in their device.

And in their desperation, they've alienated their existing customers, and their potential future customers.

I'm not apologizing for them. Be mad, if you want. I'm just pointing out that, while this stuff might not be popular, they're really within their right. And I have yet to see how it's contradictory or hypocritical.

No one said they don't have the right to self-destruct, just that it's very foolish, and very sad. Oculus could have been something, but they sold out to Facebook. and then they sold out their users with a lock-in they were told would never happen.

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
Citation, please? If he really said that, then I apologize for suggesting otherwise.

I was sad that they sold out to Facebook, but I'm not ready to write them off. It's still early days and FB has deep pockets. They can still learn from their missteps and self-correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.