[SOLVED] Switcging drives

Pcbuilder55

Honorable
Nov 27, 2015
Hi so I am getting a gen 4 m.2 drive and have a couple questions. So currently I have 3 drives, gen 3 m.2 (smaller one) for a boot drive and software's and a game. And then a regular ssd and a hdd for other stuff. I want to do a fresh install of windows onto the new m.2. I don't want to deal with the cloning as I want to make sure I get optimal performance. I will move the game and other stuff from the m.2 to my ssd. And so my questions are

1. Do I need to somehow move the drivers and software (ryzen master, AMD radeon software) to the ssd before changing drives or just do a fresh install of all that with new drive installed.

2. Once installed the new drive how do I format the old one do I have both of them connected and then when booting from flash drive just format the old and install windows on new ?

3. I have the MSI X570 board and recently did a bio update is any information of this store on any storage?

Sorry for all these questions, some might be straightforward but I want to make sure I domt mess anything up. Thanks

Solution
1 fresh install.
2 when installing windows to the new drive make sure it is the only drive connected. disconnect all other drives. after install reconnect them and verify boot order. once booted to the new windows on the new drive the other drive is visible and can be accessed as a storage drive. you may need to import the foreign drive in disk manager before you can access it ( the old drive will be the foreign drive under the new windows) after you can delete the data/format at your pleasure.
3 technically yes. the storage is not one of your drives. the storage is the BIOS chip itself. it is electrically written to a physical CHIP. hence firmware, software on hardware. firm.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
1 fresh install.
2 when installing windows to the new drive make sure it is the only drive connected. disconnect all other drives. after install reconnect them and verify boot order. once booted to the new windows on the new drive the other drive is visible and can be accessed as a storage drive. you may need to import the foreign drive in disk manager before you can access it ( the old drive will be the foreign drive under the new windows) after you can delete the data/format at your pleasure.
3 technically yes. the storage is not one of your drives. the storage is the BIOS chip itself. it is electrically written to a physical CHIP. hence firmware, software on hardware. firm.

Solution

Pcbuilder55

Honorable
Nov 27, 2015
1 fresh install.
Thanks for the detailed response. After installing windows on new drive and then reconnecting all drives. As long as I have the proper boot order there wont be a problem that theres 2 windows on separate drives ? I'll set the new one as main drive. As for bios I'll just double check of ver. After all is installed

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
no problem.
the windows that gets booted to will be the dominant one, change boot order and the old could boot and access the new in the same manner. essentially you are dual booting windows

the important bit is to install with one drive. windows likes to spread the boot files and if you remove/format/damage a drive with the boot files on it windows is toast. installing to a single makes sure the installer only has access to one drive.

Pcbuilder55

Honorable
Nov 27, 2015
no problem.
the windows that gets booted to will be the dominant one, change boot order and the old could boot and access the new in the same manner. essentially you are dual booting windows

the important bit is to install with one drive. windows likes to spread the boot files and if you remove/format/damage a drive with the boot files on it windows is toast. installing to a single makes sure the installer only has access to one drive.
Ok, I'll just disconnect both sata cables and take the old m.2 out, do a fresh install of windows, change boot order to that drive as first and reconnect all drives. Also before installing windows is there any settings I need to check. Like the UFEI OR UFEI+LEGACY always been confuse on that and also what to keep sata in AHCI or RAID

Pcbuilder55

Honorable
Nov 27, 2015
different boards different terms and procedures, check your manual.
not unless you changed the settings from what they are now, there should be no reason to change them from what is working.
I think it's set to just ahci now and ufei and the drive work so I'll have the new one just like this so it work. Thank for all the help