Switch from AHCI to IDE (Windows 10)

tinynja98

Reputable
Jan 17, 2015
I had an old IDE drive laying in my home because the old PC it was in stopped working and i wanted to retrieve the data from it.

I installed windows 10 on my ssd on ahci mode. If i switch the sata mode to ide to be able to read from my old drive, i get a bsod saying "UNACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE" or something along those lines. I do not get this bsod when i switch the sata mode back to ahci (and remove the old ide disk drive).

So is there a way to switch from AHCI to IDE on windows 10 without having BSOD's?

Solution

Ill just quote from another forum a method that's guaranteed to work.
1. Run Command Prompt as Admin
2. Invoke a Safe Mode boot with the command: bcdedit /set {current} safeboot minimal
3. Restart the PC and enter your BIOS...

theyeti87

Honorable
From my understanding, the sata mode you have selected in the BIOS at the time of Windows installation will be locked to that mode only. Other modes won't boot.

Does your PC not recognize the IDE drive when you boot normally in AHCI?

McHenryB

Admirable
The mode that the SATA controller is set to should have no effect on devices connected to an IDE controller. Your problem is more likely to be that you haven't jumpered the IDE drive correctly - what that should be depends upon whether you have other IDE devices in the system.

Of course the problem could simply be that the disk is dead; not beyond the bounds of possibility as it is presumably fairly old.

McHenryB

Admirable

Check the boot order in the BIOS with the new drive installed. And, as I said in my other post, check the jumpers on the IDE drive.

tinynja98

Reputable
Jan 17, 2015
Sorry i forgot to mention that i connected the ide drive with an IDE to SATA adapter and i tried booting on ubuntu from a USB Flash Drive with the SATA controller set to IDE and i was able to read from the old IDE drive though not from the SSD, but i had problems copying the files from the old IDE drive to an external drive so thats why i wanted to try with windows as i am a lot more used to this OS.

tinynja98

Reputable
Jan 17, 2015

I have checked ways to switch from IDE to AHCI after installing Windows 7 and i found solutions where people would modify the registery.

So i thought maybe there was something similar that could be done in Windows 10 to change that setting...

shayan223

Reputable
Dec 27, 2014
I had the same problem just this morning when i stumbled upon this thread. Not sure it will work for you, but you should try switching it back and forth between ide and achi a couple times. After changing to ide, then switching back again, my windows was able to boot successfully

tinynja98

Reputable
Jan 17, 2015

Was it able to boot from a sata drive with an ide drive both connected to the motherboard?

bobalazs

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010

Ill just quote from another forum a method that's guaranteed to work.
1. Run Command Prompt as Admin
2. Invoke a Safe Mode boot with the command: bcdedit /set {current} safeboot minimal
3. Restart the PC and enter your BIOS during bootup.
4. Change from IDE to AHCI mode then Save & Exit.
5. Windows 10 will launch in Safe Mode.
6. Right click the Window icon and select to run the Command Prompt in Admin mode from among the various options.
7. Cancel Safe Mode booting with the command: bcdedit /deletevalue {current} safeboot
8. Restart your PC once more and this time it will boot up normally but with AHCI mode activated.
9. Bask in the reflected glory of being a total Windows 10 God
NOTE: THIS MOSTLY WORKS ONLY ON INTEL CPU'S. With AMd you also have to edit some regedit.

Solution

scottfree1_01

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2012
Create ahci.reg in notepad, paste in VV, save file, click ahci.reg, answer yes, reboot, set ahci in bios, done

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\storahci]
"Start"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\storahci\StartOverride]
"0"=dword:00000000