[SOLVED] Switching from HDD to SSD

May 6, 2020
Firstly, I'm pretty novice so bare with me. I have been using a msi z97 gaming 5 mother board with an HDD for a minute but I am trying to add the MP600 as an SSD to hold my OS and some games (since SSDs run faster). I installed the SSD and the driver. The corsair toolkit detects the SSD but its like my computer isn't. Not sure if that makes sense. I don't know if its a compatibility problem or if I skipped a step that I'm not aware of (since I've never done something like this before). Any help is appreciated.

Solution
I'm going to upgrade my whole PC soon, once this whole corana stuff is over, so its like an investment. I'm currently using easeUS to migrate my OS to the SSD. Disk management says my disk 0 is my hard drive and it says disk 1 is 931.51 GB unallocated. Also I got 1 terabyte.
An investment whereby you lose money.
6 months from now when you need it for the new system, that drive will be cheaper...;)

But, cloning from SATA to NVMe can be problematic at the best of times.
Try it, but if it fails, don't put too much effort into it.

Do you know that your z97 board can boot from it? Most of them could not, and only with a subsequent BIOS update did that become possible. And not all z97's got that BIOOS update.

USAFRet

Titan
Firstly, I'm pretty novice so bare with me. I have been using a msi z97 gaming 5 mother board with an HDD for a minute but I am trying to add the MP600 as an SSD to hold my OS and some games (since SSDs run faster). I installed the SSD and the driver. The corsair toolkit detects the SSD but its like my computer isn't. Not sure if that makes sense. I don't know if its a compatibility problem or if I skipped a step that I'm not aware of (since I've never done something like this before). Any help is appreciated.
Z97 motherboard and MP600 (Gen 4 x4)....Serious waste of money on that SSD.
Your z97 board M.2 port is only capable of about 1/4 the speed of that drive.

Additionally, booting from that drive is a "maybe". z97 boards were released a bit before NVMe drives became popular. Not all z97 boards got a BIOS update to be able to boot from that drive.
But even if it does....not a whole lot faster than a SATA III SSD.

What size drive did you get?
Are you planning on doing a fresh install?
Does this drive appear in Disk Management?

May 6, 2020
Z97 motherboard and MP600 (Gen 4 x4)....Serious waste of money on that SSD.
Your z97 board M.2 port is only capable of about 1/4 the speed of that drive.

Additionally, booting from that drive is a "maybe". z97 boards were released a bit before NVMe drives became popular. Not all z97 boards got a BIOS update to be able to boot from that drive.
But even if it does....not a whole lot faster than a SATA III SSD.

What size drive did you get?
Are you planning on doing a fresh install?
Does this drive appear in Disk Management?
I'm going to upgrade my whole PC soon, once this whole corana stuff is over, so its like an investment. I'm currently using easeUS to migrate my OS to the SSD. Disk management says my disk 0 is my hard drive and it says disk 1 is 931.51 GB unallocated. Also I got 1 terabyte.

USAFRet

Titan
6 months from now when you need it for the new system, that drive will be cheaper...;)

Do you know that your z97 board can boot from it? Most of them could not, and only with a subsequent BIOS update did that become possible. And not all z97's got that BIOOS update.

Solution
May 6, 2020

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by boot from it.