[SOLVED] switching from i3-3240 to i5-3470

May 30, 2021
I want to upgrade from my i3-3240, to a i5-3470. I have two questions though. My motherboard is ECS H61H2-M6 v1.0 and according to this website: https://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-ECS/H61H2-M6(V1.0).html my motherboard supports the cpu but I just want to be sure of it. And the 2nd question is, can I use the stock cooler that came with my i3, or would the i5 get too hot?

Solution
Does the fan go to 100% by itself if the cpu gets too hot or do I have to change it manually?
If it's working correctly, it will ramp up properly. But I've seen this not work properly and cook stuff before so I manually set it. You sometimes have an option in the bios, but if you don't, you simply pull the blue pin out from the fan header and seal it in tape so it doesn't contact anything. You can pull the pin out easily by using a paperclip to press the small pin release on the fan header.

rgd1101

Don't
go to the manufacturer website

May 30, 2021
go to the manufacturer website
Im assuming that means that it would work, thanks!

May 30, 2021
Since the tdp for the i3 is less than the i5, the i3 cooler would be in sufficient if you care about noise. Otherwise it will work, but the fan will be much higher or at 100% all the time.
The fan noise doesn't bother me too much, as long as temps don't get dangerously high, I'll be okay with it

May 30, 2021
Well, which one do you have? Finding that out and making sure is a better strategy than relying on divine intervention.
uh im not sure how to check that, it was back in september so i cant remember where i got it from, if you can tell me if i should be looking at some specific number or something then that could get me on the right track

May 30, 2021
If you go into BIOS, you should be able to see the version.

If this was recent, you probably already have the most up-to-date one considering how old the motherboard is, but they say "measure twice, cut once" for a reason.
im not sure if this is the right thing but ME FW version is 8.0.2.1410. If that's not the right number then please let me know, im not an expert when it comes to this stuff 😕

May 30, 2021
Go into the BIOS and look somewhere for something called BIOS Revision or BIOS Version or something like that. I can't say exactly where as I don't use any ECS motherboards; you mostly see those with OEM prebuilts.
At the bios splash screen and at the bottom of the settings it says version 2.14.1219.

May 30, 2021
If fan noise doesn't bother you and you don't want to worry about cooling, just set the fan to 100% as I know that does work as I've done it on mine when I upgraded to an i5. Set all your fans to 100% if you never want to worry about cooling.
Does the fan go to 100% by itself if the cpu gets too hot or do I have to change it manually?