Switching from Intel to AMD and I need some help

Aug 19, 2018
I will be building my first system soon and I will be going from Intel (pre-built Dell System) to AMD. Now I know best practice is to do a fresh install of Windows but I am running Windows 7 and like the current set up I have. So I am curious if it will work to just use what I have or do I have to re-install Windows?

Solution
AMD's current CPU lineup aren't supported by Windows 7. It is possible to get Windows 7 to work, but it requires a lot of tweaking, as Windows 7 does not have XHCI driver support built into the OS, so the USB ports won't work without a driver being slipstreamed into the image, and there are no official drivers for AM4 motherboards on Windows 7.

You're best off just installing Windows 10, you'll have to do an OS reinstall either way (Windows 7 tends to freak out when presented with major hardware changes) and going through the hassle to try to get Windows 7 working with the AM4 platform isn't really worth the trouble.
AMD's current CPU lineup aren't supported by Windows 7. It is possible to get Windows 7 to work, but it requires a lot of tweaking, as Windows 7 does not have XHCI driver support built into the OS, so the USB ports won't work without a driver being slipstreamed into the image, and there are no official drivers for AM4 motherboards on Windows 7.

You're best off just installing Windows 10, you'll have to do an OS reinstall either way (Windows 7 tends to freak out when presented with major hardware changes) and going through the hassle to try to get Windows 7 working with the AM4 platform isn't really worth the trouble.

Solution