[SOLVED] Swopsies - changing ssd drives, but making sure windows is ok to move?

Mar 18, 2020
My desktop pc has small SSD drive, with windows loaded on it. I want to get a new larger SSD drive ( thoughts? Samsung,Crucial? ) and swop over. How can i ensure Windows is ok to reload? i dont mind starting afresh with windows installation ( but i have no code etc..as it cames preinstalled on my small ssd ). I have a harddrive - used for photos/videos only. Do i need to check what ssd i need? In my desktop only room for 1 sdd and leads etc..so happy to simply disguard smaller ssd drive in favour of the new one.

Solution
Is this Windows 10? If yes you want to link the Windows license to your Microsoft account. This way you can activate Windows without needing key/code. Agree cloning your current SSD is what you want to do you should prepare for it not working and needing to install a fresh copy of Windows. It’s been a while since buying a Samsung or Crucial drive but they used to give you the ability to download software from their respective websites to do cloning.

N3wb13g

Honorable
Mar 2, 2017
You can use cloning software like AOMEI backupper. Either Clone OS or clone Disk menu is good to go, next just follow the steps.

PS, both old and new SSD must be connected to your system, be ready for one more SATA connector.

Mar 18, 2020
N3 - i appreciate the reply, but I am a novice so to speak and any PC lingo/jargon is beyond me. I did stress in my post that there is not the connectors for both SSD drives. I simply want to remove my current puny SSD ( which windows in installed upon..and 4 yrs back i purchased ) with a larger SSD ( now that they are much cheaper ).

SURELY i can backup windows without the need for AOMEI or whatever? OR..surely i can ask the nice people at Windows for a new upload? ( but as mentioned windows already on my SSD so i have not proof so to speak should I throw that one away and replace with a 'blank' new SSD '

Hopefully the above makes sense in the most straightforward terms.

USAFRet

Titan
My desktop pc has small SSD drive, with windows loaded on it. I want to get a new larger SSD drive ( thoughts? Samsung,Crucial? ) and swop over. How can i ensure Windows is ok to reload? i dont mind starting afresh with windows installation ( but i have no code etc..as it cames preinstalled on my small ssd ). I have a harddrive - used for photos/videos only. Do i need to check what ssd i need? In my desktop only room for 1 sdd and leads etc..so happy to simply disguard smaller ssd drive in favour of the new one.
You can do either:

- A clean OS install on the new drive. This is Windows and everything else.
or
- Possibly migrate/clone from the old drive tot he new. This depends on space requirements.

We can guide you through either way.

Is this Windows 10? If yes you want to link the Windows license to your Microsoft account. This way you can activate Windows without needing key/code. Agree cloning your current SSD is what you want to do you should prepare for it not working and needing to install a fresh copy of Windows. It’s been a while since buying a Samsung or Crucial drive but they used to give you the ability to download software from their respective websites to do cloning.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
Some details about your system.

What is the current drive? How much space is consumed?
You mention "there is not the connectors for both SSD drives. " What desktop system is this? That would be quite unusual to have only one drive connection and mounting point.

Mar 18, 2020
Thanks for the vote of confidence re guidance USA - but i am still to purchase the new SSD. I want to know what type i need...i assume the usual Sata type, looking at crucial/samsung 1tb ( my current one is only 178gb ( from what i recall ) - Hence, quickly fills up particualar when i edit videos ( my editing software annoyingly is on that ssd c:drive ( don't go there! have tried alsorts to move that! )

That aside, i want a larger SSD anyway. So, when you say guidance, if i purchase a SSD...how can I ensure I get a new installation of windows 10. I basically want a fresh start ( but will keep my current 2tb hardrive which has vids and photos on ). Just dont want to order SSD and then find a right hassle to get new installation of windows 10 on it thats all.

Mar 18, 2020
SIZZLING - thanks for that. Ok...i will check out how to link licence then re windows..and then simply purchase a Crucial SSD, about £90 on Amazon right now..simple as that then.

Great, thanks for your time with this.

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks for the vote of confidence re guidance USA - but i am still to purchase the new SSD. I want to know what type i need...i assume the usual Sata type, looking at crucial/samsung 1tb ( my current one is only 178gb ( from what i recall ) - Hence, quickly fills up particualar when i edit videos ( my editing software annoyingly is on that ssd c:drive ( don't go there! have tried alsorts to move that! )

That aside, i want a larger SSD anyway. So, when you say guidance, if i purchase a SSD...how can I ensure I get a new installation of windows 10. I basically want a fresh start ( but will keep my current 2tb hardrive which has vids and photos on ). Just dont want to order SSD and then find a right hassle to get new installation of windows 10 on it thats all.
Installing Windows on a new drive in this same system is NO problem. That incurs no licensing/activationissues.
No different than replacing a dead drive.

Read this:

Mar 18, 2020
SO, before i purchase a new SSD drive, what type do i need? inside my desktop i can only see the one - with connectors ( and my harddrive as well ).
SSD DRIVE 178GB
Fixed; No / File System: NTFS /

Mar 18, 2020
I dont know. That is what im asking - how can I find out? Surely their is a simple PC checked - done it before for getting more RAM etc...any thoughts on a site which will tell me what SSD i have as my c:drive. I checked ..tell me ram, graphics card etc..but doesnt say what type of SSD i have.

Mar 18, 2020
Why is it taking me endless posts and days! To get a proper reply what forum is this?do u know ur onions? What is special. Surely to goodness There's a simple answer to this.