Symptoms you got a bad CPU [Fixed]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 14, 2018
Hey everyone!

I hope this is in the right format, I recently did a PC build for my wife and we got a bad CPU. It took a lot of digging and I couldn't find a a good thread that talked about the symptoms that you got a bad CPU from the manufacturer.

To set the circumstances, these were all new parts except a formatted 500GB samsung SSD from her old build.

CPU: Intel - Core i7-6700K 4GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock - Z270 Extreme4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB FTW Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card
Case: Corsair - Air 540 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: Asus - DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit

The PC ran well for a day, then the CPU died. We removed the video card and tested it with one stick of RAM and then the other with no results. Every time we powered it on before windows could load we would get a different blue screen, a list of them will be below. We formatted the SSD to reinstall windows, and couldn't get more than 10 seconds into the install without a blue screen, here's the different ones we got.

whea_uncorrectable_error windows
dpcwatchdog violation
driver irql not less or equal
crypto library internal error
kmode exception not handled
machine check exception
A blue screen with no info, a frowning face and random black boxes

Just by process of elimination we found out the CPU was bad, got it replaced and everything is working great.

Again, just hope this helps someone as this gave me a lot of headaches.

With all the tech advances, I wonder we don't have system that will tell you exactly what's is causing a error.
Like "CPU is acting up...you should check that out" or "Your RAM voltage is out of whack...fix it"

I got 5 of those errors on a build and I was going crazy. Until I disabled 'Fast startup' and updated the driver show on the BSOD.
whea_uncorrectable_error windows
dpcwatchdog violation
driver irql not less or equal
kmode exception not handled
machine check exception

On another build I had the 'crypto library internal error' and could not find any info about it.
It was the CPU socket in the motherboard.

Usually if you have a bad CPU, there will be problems with the PC booting up. If the power supply and memory can be eliminated, that leaves the processor and motherboard. Then usually the motherboard is switched out. That process then leaves the processor as the problem.

There is no way to test the CPU for the consumer (that I'm aware of anyway). It is a process of elimination. The manufacturer may have the means to test it, but for everyone else it is tested on a motherboard.

There is some feedback in the form of beep codes and LED diagnostics.

won't intel's IDPT utility work?

I'm not sure. I've never tried it. But you would need a functioning system to use it.

sorry, that should have been intel's IPDT (intel processor diagnostic tool)

"I'm not sure. I've never tried it. But you would need a functioning system to use it."

insert sound of me smacking self on back of head

:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.