[SOLVED] Synology SVN Server wrong FS format

Feb 22, 2020
Hey guys,

I am currently struggling with the file system format of one of my SVN repositories.

I have a Windows Server at home, running with a SVN server software. I created a FSFS SVN repository on that server a while ago. The server software automatically created that repository with the SVN file system format 8 (which is the most recent one, afaik). Running so far!

Now I tried to move my SVN repositories onto my Synology NAS with a current DSM version installed. I installed the SVN server package on the NAS, created a new repository and then moved the /db directory from my existing FS format 8 repository into the /db folder in the repo's folder on the NAS.

But now, if I want to check out a working copy, I get this error message:
"Expected FS format between '1' and '7'; found format '8'" I have SVN 1.14.x installed, which should be fine. I also tried this with another (older) repo with FS format 4, that worked fine this way!

So my question is now: Is this an issue of the SVN server on the Synology NAS? Is it too old?
Because when I check the SVN directory via SSH, I get this:
Code:
USERNAME@HOSTNAME:/volume1/@appstore/SVN/bin$ ll
total 2520
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root    4096 Aug 16  2017 .
drwxr-xr-x 7 root root    4096 Jul  6 11:56 ..
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1092120 Aug 16  2017 svn
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  166220 Aug 16  2017 svnadmin
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  212268 Aug 16  2017 svnbench
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   87852 Aug 16  2017 svndumpfilter
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  107488 Aug 16  2017 svnfsfs
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  149692 Aug 16  2017 svnlook
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   82332 Aug 16  2017 svnmucc
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  177132 Aug 16  2017 svnrdump
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  297248 Aug 16  2017 svnserve
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  138712 Aug 16  2017 svnsync
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   38792 Aug 16  2017 svnversion
The files are from 2017. That's the reason I came to the conclusion, the version may be too old.

Are there newer versions of the SVN server running on Synology NAS available and, if yes, could I replace the files in the folder above with newer files?

Looking forward to your comments.

Thanks,
teha

Solution
Hey guys,

after thinking about it and searching even more on the web, I finally found a working manual for me and I want to share it with you.

http://www.darioniedermann.it/docs/downgrade_svn.html

I created a dump file with a current SVN client (TortoiseSVN 1.14) and then created a new Repository with a old version of Slik SVN 1.8. Then I used the svnadmin-Tool from the old Slik SVN version to do a "svnadmin load"... (see step 4 in the manual above).

This way, I was really able to downgrade from FSFS format 8 to 6 and thus to be able to use the repository. I will now check if everything works but it looks good at the first glance.

Last step: Delete all files in the folder "db" on the server. Then, copy all files from the...
Feb 22, 2020
Hey guys,

after thinking about it and searching even more on the web, I finally found a working manual for me and I want to share it with you.

http://www.darioniedermann.it/docs/downgrade_svn.html

I created a dump file with a current SVN client (TortoiseSVN 1.14) and then created a new Repository with a old version of Slik SVN 1.8. Then I used the svnadmin-Tool from the old Slik SVN version to do a "svnadmin load"... (see step 4 in the manual above).

This way, I was really able to downgrade from FSFS format 8 to 6 and thus to be able to use the repository. I will now check if everything works but it looks good at the first glance.

Last step: Delete all files in the folder "db" on the server. Then, copy all files from the folder "db" from the newly created format 6 repository to the folder "db" on the server. Keep the files in all other folders (next to "db") to keep settings and user credentials.

I hope this helps someone else with this problem.

Best regards,
teha

Solution