Question System build questions from an old timer!

Dec 2, 2022
Hi Everyone,

In short, I used to build tons of gaming systems in my late teens, then life took its course and I'm slowly getting back into it.

I apologize in advance as I'm sure there are similar threads. Basically, looking to put together a futureproof system without paying top notch; primary game will be MS flight sim.

From low to high budget, I'm aiming for around 75%. I've seen some decent prebuilds, but I always dislike them becuase of the cheap parts (mobo, PSU etc) that are extremely important but get netglected.

Main question, is now a good time to peice together a system depending on new tech releases (lowering old tech prices), or waiting to see if the market cools; don't want to wait more than mid summer 2023. If the tech/price is marginal between now and then, any tips would be greatly appreciated.

I know this is very vague, but hoping someone can help out with some of the more overlooked parts; mobo, PSU, RAM, case, etc, and timing to buy.

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: Lafong
Dec 2, 2022
I'd wait until January 3rd when Intel releases the locked cpu's along with the B760 boards. That way you pay less without sacrificing performance.

https://videocardz.com/newz/intel-t...pus-and-b760-motherboards-on-january-3rd-2023

Are you suggesting to buy the locked processors, or the prior gen unlocked.

To show my system build age experience, early 2000's, AMD T-birds, unlocking with the conducting graphite pencil trick on the core to overlock. Pushing the limits of the intel core 2 duo was fun as well!

I'd not like to have a mobo/cpu setup that limits manual control of power etc.

Thanks for your quick reply!

Dec 2, 2022
btw what country are you located, what is your budget and what is your monitor resolution or is a monitor to be included in the budget?

US. Monitor is outside of the budget. I can't give a hard cap on the budget as I'm working on price/performance per individual part, and it could be flexible. Absolutely not going for something at the top end of the market now; perhaps 75-80% of that, and I can wait a few months if that will allow that budget to get something much better.

Thanks!

Are you suggesting to buy the locked processors, or the prior gen unlocked.

To show my system build age experience, early 2000's, AMD T-birds, unlocking with the conducting graphite pencil trick on the core to overlock. Pushing the limits of the intel core 2 duo was fun as well!

I'd not like to have a mobo/cpu setup that limits manual control of power etc.

Thanks for your quick reply!
The locked cpu's don't allow for overclocking which isn't a big deal seeing how these new Intel 13 gen processors are already pushed to their limits hence the reason a lot of peeps are downclocking them.

Dec 2, 2022
The locked cpu's don't allow for overclocking which isn't a big deal seeing how these new Intel 13 gen processors are already pushed to their limits hence the reason a lot of peeps are downclocking them.
Very interesting! Early 2k's same cpu core was locked and used for different models, hence being able to unlock and double performance with no thermal issues.

Reactions: Why_Me

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Basically, looking to put together a futureproof system without paying top notch; primary game will be MS flight sim.
That's kind of an oxymoron. The better you build, the longer it lasts. 3rd/4th gen intel is a perfect example, Everyone said the 4/4 i5 was the best gaming cpu, and a few short years later the ppl who had spent the (waste of money!) i7 with its 4/8 were laughing all the way to the bank as the quads became basically obsolete in a hurry.

MsFS will 'play' on a potato. Min specs are the old 4thgen i5's. However, don't even bother with going anywhere near London, LAX or Hong Kong with that potato, it's no joy.

So to have at least a decent experience or better is going to involve the higher tier stuff.
"Ideal” Specifications for Microsoft Flight Simulator
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X or Intel Core i7-9800X
Graphics: AMD Radeon VII or Nvidia RTX 2080
RAM: 32GB
Storage Space: 150GB of SSD space
Bandwidth: 50 Mbps

And that's older, so make adjustments. 13600k with a 3060ti or better. And that's at 1080p. The gpu will climb significantly with 1440p and you'd be looking at the 3080Ti or better for 4K, so monitor choice will play a big role in the budget.

I'd spend the time between now and early/mid January studying case, power supply, cooling, and hard drive choices.

Delay motherboard, CPU, and Intel vs AMD choices until January.

If you go Intel, I don't see any reason not to go with newest 13th generation.

Mid to upper level CPUs would suggest 13400 on up through 13600K to 13700 or maybe even 13700K at the top. Price differential top to bottom might be 250?

A micro ATX board might do you just fine and save you 50 or 75? B760 rather than Z790.

DDR 4 versus DDR 5 is a required decision, with scale tilting toward DDR 5 as the price differential narrows. 32 GB rather than 16 GB for flight sim? Maybe 5600 speed DDR 5?

When the new boards and CPUs come out, pound on new reviews. I'd pay special attention to any hints about flight simulation software. I have no idea exactly what that would benefit from.

You'll be faced with air versus liquid cooling choice. Study up on that in the meantime.

Can't help on AMD.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
frankly the ryzen 5000 series is all you need. they are rather cheap and so are the mobo's. right now the best bang for the buck out there.

that would free up a lot more cash for the gpu to last as long as possible. don't think the cpu is going to be an issue with FS since it's very gpu heavy.

sounds like folks are thinking you're in for top of the line expensive stuff. while in reality it's not needed.

Dec 2, 2022
frankly the ryzen 5000 series is all you need. they are rather cheap and so are the mobo's. right now the best bang for the buck out there.

that would free up a lot more cash for the gpu to last as long as possible. don't think the cpu is going to be an issue with FS since it's very gpu heavy.

sounds like folks are thinking you're in for top of the line expensive stuff. while in reality it's not needed.

Thanks to everyone for contributing and I hope you help me further.

2K resolution at a minimum. This is not meant to be a workstation processing mass-spectrometry data.

Looking for GPU/CPU/mobo socket information.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
personally i'd start here and see where the gpu takes you

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor ($340.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $519.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-12-02 20:25 EST-0500

i can't find a review of the game with various new cpu's to see what works the best. but multiple cpu reviews with top end gpu's seems to show that more cores is better overall. to stay at 1440p you're gonna need a strong gpu. again all about budget. a 6800xt and 6900xt start around $700-800.

again i can't find a current gpu benchmark review either. but what i am seeing is the 3080 ($1000 or more) or higher and 6800xt or higher seems to be needed for 1440p to run smoothly.

the new AMD 7000 series gpu's comes out in a couple weeks and it's probably worth waiting to see what they offer. if nothing else when they review the cards you should see some FS benchmarks comparing it to other higher end cards. it should be paired with a new cpu so again should give some more up to date numbers for what is needed for the game to run where you want it to.

hopefully this gives you some info to start with. wish there were more definitive numbers but this is what i can piece together from a bunch of reviews of both the game and various cpu's/gpu's. :)

Last edited: