System Builder Marathon: $2,500 Enthusiast PC

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ekidhardt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
Sorry--but I think Tom's deviates from core user base by posting such articles. As consummate IT guys, best performance/dollar guys, and frugal guys, we will never spend this much on a PC. And if we had the money for it, we'd probably let someone else build it!

Ekidhardt describes me too, but definitely does not describe many other readers here. While perhaps fewer than the $500-$1000 range threads, there are still plenty of $2000+ build threads in the Forumz, and some $4000+; they usually (but not always) are gamer boxes. I often don't read them, and almost never contribute, as I consider most such machines a wasteful excess. Two to four grand just to play a game? And for how long? I will say I am more interested if the person is spending his or her own money, but that doesn't always seem to be the case.
OTOH, limiting a $2500 system to only those parts available from one retailer (even a great one) is not at all likely to be typical of someone spending that kind of money. Still, the SBM articles provide valid and valuable points of reference. I look forward to all of them, every month.

CptTripps

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
[citation][nom]SirSuperSouthern[/nom]You don’t seem to fully grasp the meaning of the word “enthusiast”, so I have my doubts.[/citation]

Actually, you are the one who does not grasp the meaning, try using a dictionary.

Main Entry: en·thu·si·ast
Pronunciation: \-ˌast, -əst\
Function: noun
Date: 1570
: a person filled with enthusiasm: as a: one who is ardently attached to a cause, object, or pursuit b: one who tends to become ardently absorbed in an interest

G

nice rig ive followed thw for awhile now....and although i dont really consider this a 'enthusiast' build. Its definately a build that works, works very well in the allotted money slot.

And i think there could have been 'better' builds, but its certainly not a throw away build and a build that as shown can hold its own against other $2500 pc's which is exactly the point of this build...

maybe we can get a 2500 limit amd/ati vs intel/nvidia build? mmmmm

aspangler

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
Did you guys test this running Prime 95 and maxing out all the overclocked cores? Just wondering what temps you were hitting.

Big Bruce

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
I really enjoyed this article and am looking to build a new system very soon. It would be great to know if you have a similiar setup with overclocking setting using the ASUS P6T Deluxe MB and the Core i7 920 CPU with 6 GB ram for 64 bit OS installation.

Also, would the CM Stacker 830 case work well with the ASUS MB?

Big Bruce

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS