System Builder Marathon, Dec. 2011: $1200 Enthusiast PC

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It is cheaper, has the same amount of storage, better graphics capability since it is paired with the i5 2500k, a faster SSD, a quality motherboard and CPU cooler, 8gb of fast RAM, and a more powerful power supply.

This is far superior. End of Story.
If it is not, please tell me why.
Only as so far as not testing in performance are extreme levels for games. Look at the 3Dmarks 2011 and understand 90% of the games tests here only scratch at the performance level. To really test the GPUs they needed 3 X monitors.

DrinkTray

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
Why would I use $1200 to build a system using an inferior chip like an AMD FX-6100???

For shame Tom's Software. Yes, you are going soft.

[citation][nom]ilikemacandpc[/nom]This is a build I created on Newegg. It will far exceed the build on this page...
This is far superior. End of Story. If it is not, please tell me why.[/citation]
It isn't, because it teaches nothing. IMHO, the SBM articles have never been about the best performance; they've been about learning more about how well certain parts work in a build. Sometimes they've gone back and done a "hand-picked" build to get better performance, but the regular builds are most informative and most useful where they test something. This build did; yours wouldn't.

ilikemacandpc

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011
[citation][nom]jtt283[/nom]It isn't, because it teaches nothing. IMHO, the SBM articles have never been about the best performance; they've been about learning more about how well certain parts work in a build. Sometimes they've gone back and done a "hand-picked" build to get better performance, but the regular builds are most informative and most useful where they test something. This build did; yours wouldn't.[/citation]

I am just saying that we have already seen the 6100 in a few benchmarks. The 8150 was disappointing, so subtracting 1 pseudo core would make it even more useless. I believe that SBM should also give the readers the best bang for the buck.

Though my build does not teach much, it is still stronger like crazy.

One picky unrelated note: they should stop using Caviar Black. It is overpriced and the SSD compensates. Use a different brand like the Hi tachi in mine and use Z68 SSD caching.

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]Zeh[/nom]I forgot to ask, Cleeve, how was the gaming experience? Not talking about numbers, though. Was it smooth, as smooth as with September's rig? No microstuttering, sudden slowdowns or such on any of the builds?[/citation]

It wasn't a terrible gamer, just not as smooth as the i5-2500K system.

Microstuttering doesn't bother me, I've never experienced a debilitating microstuttering problem.

ilikemacandpc

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011
We should try the fx 4100 in the next build. It is cheaper on Amazon, only $110. Also, it overclocks better on the stock cooler than the phenom ii x4 955.

Also, how about sacrificing the GPU and adding an SSD to the budget builds. See how they keep up.
fx 4100 or i3 2100 + Radeon 6790 + SSD vs Phenom ii x4 955 +Radeon 6870

blacksci

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
I appreciated reading about the build, but the numbers- wow amd sure has been struggling. On a side note, seems that the idea of seeing a eyefinity vs 2d surround is catching on fast. Id send the monitors I am buying for my system in 2 months, except for the fact that I have been waiting to do this for 4 months, and I know it takes time to run tests!! lol

cleeve

Illustrious
[citation][nom]ilikemacandpc[/nom] Though my build does not teach much, it is still stronger like crazy. [/citation]

Sure it is, but that's not really an accomplishment. It's like winning a wrestling match with a 6 year old.

We never suggested that this is the strongest build for the price.
The reasons for selecting these components were shared from step one.

Having said that, if you swap out the BD/AM3+ for a Core i5/1155 mobo, it'd be a sweet system.

blacksci

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
On a side note, why havent we seen Toms use any hybrid drives yet? Im looking to buy one and really like the idea of 8 gigs ssd paired with 500 gigs mechanical for 130 bucks, the price point isnt even horrible with todays hard drive prices.

dgingeri

Distinguished
Well, at least the FX-6100 could potentially make a good virtual machine host for VMWare or Windows Hyper-V. I know the FX-8150 keeps up with Xeons almost twice the price in that arena.

I'm putting my hat in to win this machine, and if I win it, I'll make it into a server with multiple virtual machines: (Windows) storage server, (Windows) print server, (Linux) web server, (Linux) ftp server, (Linux) proxy server, and (WSUS) update server all for my home network. :)

I'll put the video cards into my main system to replace the GTX470s I have. It won't boost it much, but it will help a little.

Krnt

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
In my Phenom II 965 I have that exact memory kit:
2x2Gb Mushkin Redline -12800 @1600 MHz 7-8-7-24
In an ASUS M5A97evo, and I can squish up to 15.8 GB/s in Sandra Memory Benchmark at its stock settings (XMS) and some OC in NB (2600)

Is pretty strange the Bandwith in this BD system, seems like it was using a single channel, since the numbers match with a previous single channel system I had, with some memories just as fast.

G

They should rename this article "Why you shouldn't put a Bulldozer processor in your gaming rig".

It certainly isn't something they should be recommending in a system build guide!

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
There is a resounding theme here in this mid range build of WTH.

I am confused why you would use a 3Ghz FX-6100, and not the 3.6 ghz FX-8150 or 3.9 ghz FX-8170. Why are you are comparing a $220 CPU with a $150 CPU.

The SSD selected for this build is two years old and the only improvement over traditional drives with is its latency with its read and write performance being on par or below that of current rotational drives.

1TB drives are around $130. If this was purchased in the big HD crunch two or three weeks ago then why not use a 5400RPM drive?

Please do a follow up mid range system build as this one is a joke. All the parts that make a difference were skimped on, and all the extra money went into frivolous upgrades.

mcd023

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
this may be a weird quesion, but isn't it a bad idea to put the pci-e x1 btwn the two x16s? B/c you won't actually be able to use it, right?

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]There is a resounding theme here in this mid range build of WTH. I am confused why you would use a 3Ghz FX-6100, and not the 3.6 ghz FX-8150 or 3.9 ghz FX-8170. Why are you are comparing a $220 CPU with a $150 CPU.The SSD selected for this build is two years old and the only improvement over traditional drives with is its latency with its read and write performance being on par or below that of current rotational drives.1TB drives are around $130. If this was purchased in the big HD crunch two or three weeks ago then why not use a 5400RPM drive?Please do a follow up mid range system build as this one is a joke. All the parts that make a difference were skimped on, and all the extra money went into frivolous upgrades.[/citation]

He clearly stated the 8120 wasnt available at the time he ordered the parts. I would assume that meant the 8150 wasnt either. He also wanted to try and mix things up a little, which I cant blame him, considering things have been cookie cutter for builds for a while. At any rate, this is rather sad. I guess I really will be building an Intel system at tax time, although I will still use AMD for my GPU's. At least they still have something decent for sale.

blacksci

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
They also stated that they went with that ssd cuz it was cheep! and why would you use a 5400 rpm drive? i mean yeah ill put games on my mechanical, but at least a 7200, i want to see my load times improve with a build, not stay the same.

verbalizer

Distinguished

where have you been.?
it's already been tested and ONLY if the board has a (black socket only) then it's not happening.
a true AM3+ board.
there are 890 and other 8-series and 7-series as well but they ALL are (black socket).

verbalizer

Distinguished
^
that could be from drivers, variation of 6950's, related hardware like HDD's.
who knows.
we would need to see an accumulation of several tests to see.

bottom line is that it's crap performance (gaming specifically).

Status
Not open for further replies.