System Builder Marathon, June 2011: $500 Gaming PC

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
Yep, I'd agree with that, which is why, when a friend asks me to build them a system
with a budget that low, I source 2nd-hand items where it's sensible (with their
agreement that is). Remarkable what one can obtain with a bit of luck. 8)

Ian.

I often just watch for deals, and buy parts I know I'll need, or think I might, if a great price turns up. Sometimes I'll test them (e.g. I'll at least format and hard drives) when they arrive, but they may otherwise sit for weeks or months. Of course, I can't do this with GPUs or anything else likely to become obsolete or otherwise turn into a regrettable purchase.

robots kill

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
I bought everything to build this computer, but i got the "SAPPHIRE 100314-2SR Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity" will it still work or do i need to send it back for the 6850?

G

I bought this kit and installed everything perfectly but it diesn't start. The fans start 2 seconde and then 3 seconde off in loop. There is notthing on the screen so the computer do not start. Anyone got I idea about what to do or how to know that a part is defective? Thank you

G

You will need something bigger to cool down that i3. I blew out my Asus-pro MB because of excessive overclocking and thermal buildup. I'mTrying now the Asus tower cooler CPU fan and heat-sink combo. I'm not yet desperate enough to go to water cooled. de.doughboy

idontcareahhhhhh

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
The ASRock H61M/U3S3 motherboard doesn't support AMD 995 x4 phenom II CPU. Why would you suggest the both to me if they aren't compatible. I just wasted good money on a now-useless CPU.

te i5-2400 is *just* out of reach now, going for least expensive parts I get $52 at newegg for i5-2400, Biostar H61 Mobo, Hitachi 500GB HDD, Sapphire HD6870, Xigmatek case, Antec 380W PSU, . once prices settle on the new 2320 3.0 GHz quad where I think it should be ($160ish), It'll be likely to put a sandy bridge quad in the december $500 build.

hunter387

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2011
K this is all fine and dandy except for one thing, the EXACT SAME hard drive is 89.99$ at newegg.... I went to the hard drive page and it said customer reviews on it from newegg. Why is 40$ here???

Status
Not open for further replies.