System Builder Marathon, Q3 2013: $1300 Enthusiast PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

chaospower

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2013
I think this just shows that you don't really need more than a GTX 760 if you play on the most popular resolution of 1080p. Look how small the benefits of an Haswell are, compared to the 650$ build (HALF THE PRICE!) in games that mainly rely on GPU power.
Overclocking haswell is a waste of money considering the amount of money you need to invest in a good MB and a good cooling, only to reach a rather tame 4.3ghz OC...
Just buy the cheapest I5 you can buy and pair it with a GTX 760, if you play on 1080p, I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Larry Bob

Honorable
May 26, 2013
This is a complete waste of money. You spend way more on the 4670K than you would on a 3570K, and a really expensive motherboard, then you pair it with a crappy CLC where even a 212 Evo or Respire T40 would do better. You then WAY overpay on the graphics card when a 7970 offers exactly the same performance (according to Tom's research) for $60+ less.

drul

Honorable
Sep 24, 2013
Would love to see what a XEON 1230 V2 (or even V3) with a sli of GTX760 (saved money on cheaper motherboard and cooling system should allow it) would do in your test

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
I consider this build a wash compared to last quarters and think your skewed gaming value chart is very misleading. You chose a resolution no one plays at because it just so happens to hide this build memory bandwidth issues and makes it look better than it really is at more common playable resolutions.

Not a terrible build, but no better. Should have saved some cash by skipping haswell for the cpu and getting a 7970ge for the gfx card.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
The superiority of this build over the last one is more deeply marred by the cheap memory than the author admits, once that memory is OCed. Given the supposed IPC arch improvements of Haswell and the higher clock of the 770, this system should be consistently faster.. but it's not. F1, Adobe, synthetics... all testing areas exhibited at least some cases in which last Q's specialized ITX build was faster while using older products and less power. To me, that paints this Q's generalized ATX build in a bad light. It's not that it wasn't good; it's that it wasn't as much better as it should have been.

Im assuming TH had various spare parts from vendors and decided wth lets toss um into the system builder. Seems like a rather random choice of parts to pair together. I cant help but think if you downgraded the motherboard and used a cheaper CPU cooler you could have went SLI with two gtx 760's for only $100 more than the gtx 770 they chose. They certainly had enough power supply to do it as most systems with 2x gtx 760's are only pulling 450 watts at load.

You had me until I saw the H50. Noooooooo! Why did you ruin this build?

A $200 mobo is meant for great overclocking. A H50 is nowhere near adequate for this. If you put a $50 Dark Knight on this build I'm sure you would have gotten to 4.5GHz. It's a shame seeing a $200 mobo and only overclocking to 4.3GHz.

fat_panda

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
With Haswell, I would not invest in a $200+ MB since the overclocking is completely dependent on whether you win the silicone lottery. Not to mention UD3H and UD4H overclocks the same for less.

KelvinTy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
I thought Toms released an article not long ago explaining how "high performance" ram yields negligible performance gain... and now a 1866MHz ram? Given that it's "only" $70, still...
And do people still buy DVD-burner thingy? I haven't put any optical media in my PCs for well over 3 years... and the last one I use, was to reinstall Win7.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
Yet more proof if any were needed that a used 2700K is still far better value
when it comes to an oc'd setup. 5GHz no problem, no need for water
cooling, leaves the 4670K way behind. Ditto 2500K (I notice there are
loads on eBay US); why anyone would buy a 3570K or HW is beyond me.

I'll consider a newer quad-core when Intel finally releases something that's
worth bothering with. Heh, 4.3 with a newer chip... what a farce.

Ian.

Status
Not open for further replies.