System Builder Marathon Q3 2014: High-End Performance PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuckRaven

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
I love the SBM articles that Tom's publishes, and read them regularly. However with respect to the self-limiting / self imposed (or perhaps not self) budget constraints, I feel that often the various builds end up feeling somewhat dated. I understand this is a result of the criteria that are set, and well explained, but I also think Tom's should do a somewhat more price-no-object oriented build as well. Of course, I am aware of the difficulties here. But a build with current motherboards with X99 chipsets, the newest Haswell-E processors, the latest in NVIDIA / AMD multi-GPUs, DDR4 RAM, the fastest/most durable SSDs, and liquid and air cooling might be of interest to a lot of readers as well (including myself). Efficiency and performance value/dollar aside, I would love to see a machine like this go head to head with the current high-end build, just for the sake of curiosity, if not necessarily practicality.

I thoroughly enjoyed the writeup of this PC. I've often found selections in the high-priced build way more than I need myself, but this is the first time I can recall not also thinking "what a waste" about one part or another. This one was good.

mavikt

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
I won't get excited for a new build until both CPU and GPU have gotten their die shrink.
These quarterly builds usually only show miniscule improvements unless something disruptive happens to the market like a tick or tock. These articles could as well be bi-annual. Good though that the price point that you're at shifts from time to time.

bmyton

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
4790k -> 4690k = -$100
290x -> SLI 770 = +$100
Same budget, theoretically a 10-15% performance boost, and new topic of discussion as part of the article.

These SBM builds have taken very few risks in the last few quarters...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I was actually thinking of using two of the cards Don used in his build, before I found out that Don had one. That would only be +$20 without downgrading the CPU.

Mac266

Honorable
Mar 12, 2014
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 EXTREME4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($143.79 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team Vulcan 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($76.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($115.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 780 3GB DirectCU II Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($329.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 780 3GB DirectCU II Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($329.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 850W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1461.70
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-09-25 18:14 EDT-0400

What about this? Might be cheating, given the price drops from the GTX 900 series release. Also add $10 from a promo on the PSU.

DynamoNED

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
This is one of my favorite High-End Builds in recent memory, because it is very balanced, without some of the excesses from previous builds. It's very nearly what I would build myself on that budget. Bravo, Thomas!

This is like the third SBM article I've seen that just missed the latest GPU release, and hence, it wasn't included. Surely it was known the GTX 980 release was around the corner when this build was thought up. Is there a reason why these SMBs can't be held off if it is known a new GPU series is coming out (and will actually be available in stock) within a matter of a couple of weeks or even a month?

With that said, I do find these SBM articles most interesting of all.

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
That's hilarious. I just built a very similar machine yesterday and ended up picking the Ostro over an R4 windowed. Was concered I might run into quality issues and then I see this. I guess somebody agrees with me?

For the record, I'm not building it for myself, but somebody who wants a flashy case. I would pick the muted design of a fractal personally, but potato potah-toe

mgriffen

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2012
Hey Thomas, obviously you didn't mention it but did you happen to have any problem with the CPU 6pin at the top of the mobo. I used this case once and loved it but I seem to remember having to put some extra sweat and muscle into connecting that cable... Great build btw.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I like yours, it comes out to about $1640 after adding a case, OS and cheap optical drive to read the OS disk (these are giveaway machines :) ). That's fine by me.

I went with the big cooler this time so I wouldn't have to hear about it if the CPU sucked, like it did last time. I could have met my goals on the cooler you chose, since the CPU I got this time was a great sample.

Oh yeh, I think I mentioned that in the case review. It's a 4+4 pin cable end, so I split it before I shoved it through.

anthony8989

Distinguished
Thank you for the article - it was a good read.

On a personal note :

I wouldn't buy an R9 290x if it was $200 BNIB.

I've seen first hand the problems that are seemingly inherent with that item.

Between the defect ratio and the variable performance , I would rather own a GTX 780, or heck even a pair of R9-280's for the same price than that lemon of a GpU.

wtfxxxgp

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012
Why do people always complain about the latest and greatest new release not being part of the build for these machines? There are rules for a reason. The next round of machines will no doubt be taking advantage of the new NVidia goodies that they COULDN'T take advantage of in this round. I really like this machine, so great build Crashman!

Draven35

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2008

Well, logically, those cards weren't available in large enough numbers to use on these machines.

Durandul

Honorable
Apr 23, 2013
Pretty bulletproof setup. That being said, if it were me, I'd drop the SSD and HDD, go for a 2TB hybrid, then take two GTX 970's over the 290X.

SessouXFX

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
Proud of your build? Dude, you should be streaking through the offices right now.

And forget about not having the 900 series cards, they came late, the sane knows why they weren't included.

mgriffen

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2012
Just out of curiosity. Would you choose a AIO water cooler over an air cooler if the price was the same for this build. (Like the Corsair H80i) Personally I find working with the water coolers is much easier than installing bulky air cooler setups.

Status
Not open for further replies.