BMilli21

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2013
I am trying to build a new computer for a coworker for the office. I figured I would just use the old build which is linked here: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/DDYk6R

The only concern I have is the coworker will be using ProContractor which is an accounting program and I wanted to verify that the PC specs of what I had previously chosen will work with this program. The PC specs are listed here:

ItemMinimum Requirement
Required Hardware
Processor3rd Gen Intel Core i5-3470 (Quad Core 6 MB 3.20 GHz w/HD2500 Graphics)
Memory…8 GB (with a 64-bit operating system)
4 GB (with a 32-bit operating system)
Disk Space10 GB free
OtherDVD-ROM Drive (if installing from DVD)
High-Speed Internet Access
Video Card that supports 1280x768, 32-bit color, and OpenGL 1.5
Printer (recommended)
Uninterruptible Power Supply (recommended)
Required Software
Operating SystemOne of the following:
  • Microsoft Windows Vista Business/Ultimate/Enterprise (32-bit or 64-bit)
  • Microsoft Windows 7 Professional/Ultimate/Enterprise SP 1 (32-bit or 64-bit)
  • Microsoft Windows 8 Pro/Enterprise (32-bit or 64-bit)
  • Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro/Enterprise (32-bit or 64-bit)
  • Microsoft Windows 10 Pro/Enterprise (32-bit or 64-bit)
Optional Software
PDF ViewerA PDF viewer—such as Adobe Reader—is required to view attachments, project documents, and lien documents. You can download Adobe Reader from the Adobe website.
E-mail ProgramA MAPI-compliant e-mail program—such as Microsoft Outlook—must be installed to e-mail attachments, project documents, and lien documents.
To take full advantage of ProContractor's Outlook Integration features, including the ability to drag-and-drop an Outlook item into ProContractor, one of the following is recommended:
  • Microsoft Outlook 2007
  • Microsoft Outlook 2010
  • Microsoft Outlook 2013

The main issue I see is that they list an intel processor and I have an AMD one selected but I assume the AMD one would work since it's a quad core and is 3.7 GHz. I tried to look up HD2500 graphics and it looks like it's an intel related spec so I am not confident this AMD processor will work. It also specifies "Video Card that supports 1280x768, 32-bit color, and OpenGL 1.5". Do I really need a video card? If so, are there any suggestions?

Solution
I am trying to build a new computer for a coworker for the office. I figured I would just use the old build which is linked here: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/DDYk6R

The only concern I have is the coworker will be using ProContractor which is an accounting program and I wanted to verify that the PC specs of what I had previously chosen will work with this program. The PC specs are listed here:

ItemMinimum Requirement
Required Hardware
Disk...

ItemMinimum Requirement
Required Hardware
Disk Space10 GB free
OtherDVD-ROM Drive (if installing from DVD)
High-Speed Internet Access
Video Card that supports 1280x768, 32-bit color, and OpenGL 1.5
Printer (recommended)
Uninterruptible Power Supply (recommended)
Required Software
Operating SystemOne of the following:
  • Microsoft Windows Vista Business/Ultimate/Enterprise (32-bit or 64-bit)
  • Microsoft Windows 7 Professional/Ultimate/Enterprise SP 1 (32-bit or 64-bit)
  • Microsoft Windows 8 Pro/Enterprise (32-bit or 64-bit)
  • Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro/Enterprise (32-bit or 64-bit)
  • Microsoft Windows 10 Pro/Enterprise (32-bit or 64-bit)
Optional Software
PDF ViewerA PDF viewer—such as Adobe Reader—is required to view attachments, project documents, and lien documents. You can download Adobe Reader from the Adobe website.
E-mail ProgramA MAPI-compliant e-mail program—such as Microsoft Outlook—must be installed to e-mail attachments, project documents, and lien documents.
To take full advantage of ProContractor's Outlook Integration features, including the ability to drag-and-drop an Outlook item into ProContractor, one of the following is recommended:
  • Microsoft Outlook 2007
  • Microsoft Outlook 2010
  • Microsoft Outlook 2013

The main issue I see is that they list an intel processor and I have an AMD one selected but I assume the AMD one would work since it's a quad core and is 3.7 GHz. I tried to look up HD2500 graphics and it looks like it's an intel related spec so I am not confident this AMD processor will work. It also specifies "Video Card that supports 1280x768, 32-bit color, and OpenGL 1.5". Do I really need a video card? If so, are there any suggestions?
What you have listed for your parts is more than enough for that software. The AMD CPU is far faster than the 3rd Gen Intel and it has an integrated graphics card that is a lot faster as well. There are a couple tweeks that you can do to save some money that can be used on a superior Power Supply:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3400G 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($149.99 @ Best Buy)
Motherboard: ASRock B450M/AC Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($98.49 @ Amazon)
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($64.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8100 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Thermaltake Versa H17 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($44.99 @ Best Buy)
Power Supply: be quiet! Straight Power 11 450 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($88.26 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $686.69
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-15 15:34 EDT-0400

Solution

BMilli21

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2013
What you have listed for your parts is more than enough for that software. The AMD CPU is far faster than the 3rd Gen Intel and it has an integrated graphics card that is a lot faster as well. There are a couple tweeks that you can do to save some money that can be used on a superior Power Supply:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3400G 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($149.99 @ Best Buy)
Motherboard: ASRock B450M/AC Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($98.49 @ Amazon)
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($64.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8100 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Thermaltake Versa H17 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($44.99 @ Best Buy)
Power Supply: be quiet! Straight Power 11 450 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($88.26 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $686.69
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-15 15:34 EDT-0400

Jeremy,

On your parts list you gave, this warning was displayed:

Warning!Some AMD B450 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Picasso CPUs. Upgrading the BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by older BIOS revisions.

Is that going to be a problem?

Jeremy,

On your parts list you gave, this warning was displayed:

Warning!Some AMD B450 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Picasso CPUs. Upgrading the BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by older BIOS revisions.

Is that going to be a problem?
In this case no. As you can see from this list https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B450Mac/#CPU the 3400G is able to be used on all BIOS versions. The motherboard you selected is good, it just went out of stock when I was making those few changes. That's why I went to this board that is equal quality to the MSI just has AC WiFi as well.

BMilli21

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2013
Do you have another suggestion for a power supply? I need to get these parts asap and both the one you suggest and the one I had previously tagged are not in stock or available.