System crashing randomly

nichwan_is

Prominent
Jan 28, 2018
Hello all,

I just built a system the other day and it has started to crash. I am monitoring temps of my gpu and cpu and nothing goes above 40°c.

The crashes occur at idle. The last one occurred after running a memory test through windows. No memory issues were found. But on idle once windows reset... it crashed.

It occurred a lot when i clicked on monitor in Zotacs firestorm program too. I have uninstalled this program and done a fresh reinstall of vga drivers. I have also flashed my mb to the latest bios.

The crashes cause the screen to turn off and all buttons - power, reset etc stop working. I try plugging the monitor into all available video card and mother board ports with no avail.

I have to physically unplug the power to get the system to turn off in order to reset.

There is no error log when i turn it back on

My system:

Ryzen 7 1700x - no oc
Mb: asus rog strix b350f
4x 8gb kingston hyperx 2400mhz ram running at 2400mhz

Zotac nvidia gtx 1060 6gb mini

Asus wifi adapter ac1900

Cooling: 4x case fans 3 in 1 out - all cooler master

Thermaltake aio cooler water 3.0 extreme s 240mm. 2x fans plugged into the cpu fan header and the pump into the aio pump header on the mb.

I have 3 storage devices.. the boot is on an adata m.2 drive, i also have a wd blue 256gb ssd and a 1tb wd black hdd.

Can anyone please let me know what this could possibly be?

Thank you

Solution
2 days later, I think I've fixed the issue. I reinstalled the BIOS (reset from 7A32V19 to 7A32V18) and it hasn't crashed overnight or at all today. The problem now is that I can't get my Trident Z RGB RAM to run at the rated 3200MHz/cl16. It's working at 2933 MHzcl16, but I haven't tried 3066 and I couldn't get it to work at all with 3200MHz regardless of whether it was cl16 or cl18 and despite my overvolting it to 1.4V.

nichwan_is

Prominent
Jan 28, 2018
Forgot to also mention.. this only happens in the os (windows) and doesnt happen in bios or during memory testing in a non windows screen.

The monitor - tv - that it is plugged into via hdmi goes black and then a few seconds later says no input connection. This doesnt change whether im using the computer or letting it idle

czar1249

Prominent
Feb 1, 2018
I have a similar issue: When I'm playing games or when I leave my pc on to mine Nicehash at night, sometimes my VGA is lost, my USB devices (keyboard, mouse, webcam) lose power and the computer, although on, has effectively crashed.

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.7GHz stock voltage
MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon
2x8GB Trident Z RGB @ 3200MHz
ASUS Strix 980Ti @ stock
2x2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm
128GB ADATA SSD
2x MasterFan Pro 140mm RGB fans (intake, front)
2x 120mm NZXT case fans (rear, top - both exhaust) which came with my s340 Elite
EVGA 650 GQ psu

When I leave my PC on at night to mine, I set Afterburner to keep it at or below 75C at all times, but I have a bad feeling that the power delivery components may be getting screwed up. I also read elsewhere that sometimes there can be short circuits in PCI-E x16 slots, causing the VGA loss. However, my system never has any real issue rebooting when this happens.

The card is also very heavy and sags a lot, so I tried propping it up so that it wouldn't sag and hopefully would stay very flush in the x16 slot and there wouldn't be any shorts - this didn't work.

The day before this started happening, I flashed my BIOS to the latest version to improve my RAM speed compatibility.

Anyone know what these issues may be caused by? Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

nichwan_is

Prominent
Jan 28, 2018

Just a question, did you have any other temp monitoring programs on at the same time?

czar1249

Prominent
Feb 1, 2018

Sometimes I do, sometimes not. RivaTuner is always on, but it just crashes when I'm doing something GPU intensive - except once, when I was switching tabs or something on YouTube. I have a feeling it has something to do with my new RAM overclock or BIOS update (or not having updated Windows since the Wannacry fix came out and that not being compatible with the new BIOS) because it wasn't until I flashed it that I had issues.

Back to the topic, the most recent times I had a 90% power, 75C(prioritized) and 60% fan speed profile on in Afterburner. This isn't a constant, though. I've tried looking at GPU VRM temps in HWMonitor, but either my sensors aren't working or they aren't present at all in the card.

What I'm going to try is:
1. Update Windows
2. Try manual overclocking of memory (add small amount of voltage to see if stability increases) instead of XMP
3. Try 3000mhz on mem instead of 3200
4. Try reverting BIOS to 2nd-latest version instead of latest

I have tried updating NVidia drivers as well last night, and haven't had a crash yet (but didn't leave the PC on to mine overnight (I don't think) or game on it since). Will update as this goes.

**UPDATE (2/3/18): new NVidia drivers didn't solve anything - had a crash the other night. Just had a crash about 30 min ago, while switching between a game and YouTube. RAM running on manual OC of 3200MHz cl16 @ 1.4v.

Windows JUST updated after the crash, so we'll see. Also, since I'm at college, this is kind of the best time for me to finally reinstall Windows onto the SSD as boot anyway, so that may happen soon.**

czar1249

Prominent
Feb 1, 2018

I installed the SSD in the summertime 6 months before this issue started. Windows is still on the 2TB in my system which came with a prebuilt.

czar1249

Prominent
Feb 1, 2018
2 days later, I think I've fixed the issue. I reinstalled the BIOS (reset from 7A32V19 to 7A32V18) and it hasn't crashed overnight or at all today. The problem now is that I can't get my Trident Z RGB RAM to run at the rated 3200MHz/cl16. It's working at 2933 MHzcl16, but I haven't tried 3066 and I couldn't get it to work at all with 3200MHz regardless of whether it was cl16 or cl18 and despite my overvolting it to 1.4V.

Solution

czar1249

Prominent
Feb 1, 2018
Hey again!

Tried updating BIOS to 7A32v19 again and not OCing CPU. Turns out my CPU was oc'd to 3.7 w/o overvolting so it was unstable.

Everything works again!

TRENDING THREADS