System doesn't find new OEM Serial ATA drive

dsinglet

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
Does one have to low-level format a new OEM SATA drive?

A POST message from the K8V motherboard states: "Scanning for IDE drives" then "No drives attached to Fast Track controller". There are no vanilla IDE hard drives in the system, just a Western Digital 160 GB SATA drive. The system ignores a known-good bootable diskette. It system doesn't see the Serial ATA, then boots correctly from the Sony DRU-530A drive that has the WinXP CD in it (and of course WinXP can't see a SATA drive).

As far as I know the power and data lines for the SATA drive are correctly attached.

How does one crank up a brand new OEM SATA drive? Or should I be looking for wrong connections?

Dave

lemming911

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2003
HI

I think from your post you are trying to install an OEM copy of XP??

If so, with a sata drive you need to hit F(something) when asked if you need to install 3rd party raid drivers. The motherboard manual will explain this and the driver disk will have the necessary driver.

Good luck.

mais

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2003
If you can't find the utility from you MB support CD you can download "Floppy Configuration Utility - Intel® Application Accelerator RAID Edition [IAAR2_FLOPPY.EXE]" from intel to create a floopy disk containing the SATA (RAID) driver. Follow this link:

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/Detail_Desc.asp?agr=Y&ProductID=961&DwnldID=6364

When prompt for third party driver hit F6 and insert floppy - you may have to reformat and reinstall Windows