[SOLVED] System fan 4 is not supporting PWM when it should it should do ?

allardtimmermans

Reputable
Dec 3, 2017
Hey guys,
So I have a Gigabyte Designare x399 motherboard, which has 4 system fan connectors for casefans. All of these support PWM fans.
I have 4 casefans that are PWM (https://www.newegg.com/corsair-co-9050044-ww-case-fan/p/N82E16835181111). They are all the same ones

Now, when I connect the fans to the SYS_FAN connectors.. the first 3 work perfectly and I can set a wide range of speeds in my fan control software. So PWN works here.
However, number 4 is only giving me 1 constant speed, and no option to change the speed.

I have tried switching fans...but I get the same result... Also.. I also set all the connectors to PWM in the BIOS

Can anybody tell me what might be causing this? Or is this just a faulty connector?

Solution
Actually, that mobo manual says there are six headers that MIGHT be used for case fans. BUT of those, headers 5 and 6 also MAY be used for a PUMP. The details are NOT covered in the manual. However, IF you are trying to use either of those (one near top front edge, one at bottom edge ¼ way back from front edge), in BIOS Setup look carefully for an option to set that header to either PUMP or FAN. In Pump mode it will always run the item full speed, so ensure it is set to FAN if you can. ALSO, see p. 49. For ALL your case fans ensure that each is set to use the MOTHERBOARD temperature sensor, and not the one inside the CPU chip.
Check your motherboard BIOS fan controls: is the 4th fan header set up for PWM control?

Check your fan's connector to make sure it has all 4 contacts fully inserted. If the PWM contact is pushed back it will operate in full-speed DC mode if the motherboard is set up for PWM control.

And lastly: is that last connector meant for a liquid cooling pump? It would be close to the CPU then. They're frequently simple +12V constantly, not even DC controllable. Their advantage is to read RPM and alarm if it falls below a set point. That's the case on my motherboard, it calls that header the 'CPU Fan' header though.

Last edited:
And lastly: is that last connector meant for a liquid cooling pump? It would be close to the CPU then. They're frequently simple +12V constantly, not even DC controllable. Their advantage is to read RPM and alarm if it falls below a set point.
For Gigabyte board it does not matter. All the headers are so called hybrid fan headers - you can plug any fan or pump to any header and it should work.
my fan control software
What software? You should first check if it's working properly in BIOS - if you can change the 4th fan speeds in BIOS this could mean the problem lies in the software you use. Otherwise it can be faulty header - which shouldn't be much of a problem considering the board has 8 of them (unless you run like 16+ fans).

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Actually, that mobo manual says there are six headers that MIGHT be used for case fans. BUT of those, headers 5 and 6 also MAY be used for a PUMP. The details are NOT covered in the manual. However, IF you are trying to use either of those (one near top front edge, one at bottom edge ¼ way back from front edge), in BIOS Setup look carefully for an option to set that header to either PUMP or FAN. In Pump mode it will always run the item full speed, so ensure it is set to FAN if you can. ALSO, see p. 49. For ALL your case fans ensure that each is set to use the MOTHERBOARD temperature sensor, and not the one inside the CPU chip.

Reactions: allardtimmermans
Solution

allardtimmermans

Reputable
Dec 3, 2017
Thank you for your reply, I have checked and all fans are set to PWM in the BIOS. But im still puzzled why SYS FAN 4 wouldt work the same as SYS FAN 1/2/3, since they are in the same 'naming group':
20210729-140132.jpg

I understand that FAN 5 and 6 are 'different' and might not support PWM.. which is fine. But I dont know why FAN 4 is only giving me 1 speed setting, whilst 1/2/3 are giving me PWM (and their settings are the same).

Additionally, you said that I should check that it gets its temperature reading from the motherboard, not the CPU.. Now, I can choose from these 'locations'... which one should I pick for FAN4? (sorry im pretty nooby at this)

20210729-135909.jpg

And can you please explain where the 'locations' are of
  • Chipset
  • VRM MOS
  • System 1 and 2
On my motherboard?
2001712223.png

Im nooby at this and im not sure where to find them (chipset is the plate with the logo on it?)
And furthermore..what are the 'rules' that tell me what sensor locations I need to use for my fans? For example...my bottom case fans.. should I let them use the 'PCIEX16_2 temp reading...because that is closest to the fans? Or should you just 'connect' everything to the chipset reading?

Thank you in advance!

smart-fan5.png

Temp sensors are marked green. VRM is rightmost. Chipset is the big radiator next to SATA ports. System 1 and 2 are those in the bottom corners of the board.
And furthermore..what are the 'rules' that tell me what sensor locations I need to use for my fans?
Depends a lot on whole cooling setup - is it water or air cooled, fan positions etc. Also depends on how noisy the fans are and how much the noise annoys you. And few other things.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
First, I agree that SYS_FAN4 should giver you exactly the same options as the first three. If it does no, there may be something wrong with that header. OR a problem with the fan connection. I note your small photo shows a 4th System Fan Fail Warning which MAY be saying that ti can detect NO speed from that fan on that header. So check carefully the connector on the end of that fan's cable. Fan speed is carried on Pin #3 of the header. See if there is a loose or broken wire into the hole for that on the fan cable. Also, just disconnect that fan from that header and re-connect a few times in case there is a bad connection. If that does not solve it, try the fan connected to another header - particularly, connect to header 1, 2 or 3temporarily because we know those are working properly. If the fan works well on one of those, then header 4 is faulty. If the fan still does not work right on a known-good header, then the fan is faulty.

If the fan tests good, try connecting it ti SYS_FAN 5 or 6. On THAT header, look for an option to specify that this is a FAN, and not a pump. On either of those headers, IF you leave it set to be a PUMP header, it may NOT give you any options for other choices because it intends only to give full constant power to its pump. Oddly, that MIGHT be what is causing problems on SYS_FAN4, although the manual does NOT tell us that that header can be set for pump operation.

Details of fan header options can be confusing, and I see some of that here. So for info:

Fan Speed Control is the choice of the strategy for how to determine the correct speed, depending on a temperature measured at a sensor. For starters, use the "Normal" option for automatic control.

Fan Control Mode is the method by which the header sends out signals to its fan to make it do what the strategy item (above) has decided. This may be PWM (for 4-pin fans), Voltage (aka DC) (for 3-pin fans) or Auto. Auto attempts to determine which fan type is connected and set itself, but that may not work if the fan speed signal is not being received. You should set it to PWM specifically if you are using 4-pin fans.

Selecting the right Temperature Input for a header normally is between only tow choices: CPU for the CPU cooler system, or Mobo for the case cooling fans. Your mobo has several more, including two for "System". I'd opt for SYSTEM1 for your case fans - we don't know what the difference is between these two. All of the others are sensors at particular mobo locations for special functions. Mostly those are for interest and info. They MAY be used to guide a fan header IF you have already arranged a fan dedicated to blowing on that particular component and want to concentrate its cations on that temp. But do not use them for general case vent fans.

allardtimmermans

Reputable
Dec 3, 2017
Thanks everybody for the detailed answers! I have added information, which might helpt solve this
When I use 'Argus monitor' software.. im able to control the speed on SYS 4, as if it was a PWM fan...

Hope this helps!

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
So you CAN get it to work with a third-party software tool, Argus Monitor. That VERY likely means that there is NO hardware problem, because that tool is VERY likely getting its info, and exerting its control efforts, using the mobo hardware.

Your original post said you could not accomplish this in "my fan control software". What software? Do you mean the BIOS Setup screens, or some other tool? If it was BIOS Setup, it is odd that you could not configure the SYS_FAN2 header exactly as all the others and make it work. But if that is the case, maybe look in BIOS Setup now at the SYS_FAN2 header configuration details, since it IS working because of Argus Monitor, and see if you can spot anything that might have been adjusted to achieve success. I suppose it is possible that the BIOS Setup screens simply had a "bug", OR that they failed to show you an important option, or that you missed a detail at first.

On the other hand, IF your original work was using some OTHER third-party software and not BIOS Setup, that software may not have been suitable for your mobo.

To some extent, this post is more about investigating an oddity. But currently you HAVE solved your problem.

Reactions: allardtimmermans

allardtimmermans

Reputable
Dec 3, 2017
So you CAN get it to work with a third-party software tool, Argus Monitor. That VERY likely means that there is NO hardware problem, because that tool is VERY likely getting its info, and exerting its control efforts, using the mobo hardware.

Your original post said you could not accomplish this in "my fan control software". What software? Do you mean the BIOS Setup screens, or some other tool? If it was BIOS Setup, it is odd that you could not configure the SYS_FAN2 header exactly as all the others and make it work. But if that is the case, maybe look in BIOS Setup now at the SYS_FAN2 header configuration details, since it IS working because of Argus Monitor, and see if you can spot anything that might have been adjusted to achieve success. I suppose it is possible that the BIOS Setup screens simply had a "bug", OR that they failed to show you an important option, or that you missed a detail at first.

On the other hand, IF your original work was using some OTHER third-party software and not BIOS Setup, that software may not have been suitable for your mobo.

To some extent, this post is more about investigating an oddity. But currently you HAVE solved your problem.

Thank you for your answer.. the 'fan control software' I initially used... is called Smart Fan Advance and it's part of the motherboards software that comes with my Gigabyte motherboard. (https://www.gigabyte.com/microsite/369/images/system-tweaking.html)
So if any software should work with my motherboard, it should be that. But apparently not. I have checked my BIOS setup again, and everything is the same for all the headers, so Im still unsure what the problem is. But.. it's solved for know so I guess its better then nothing. Im going to sell this PC this year anyways so the new owner can puzzle this out :)

So if any software should work with my motherboard, it should be that
Actually, reality is quite opposite :) If any software is not supposed to work, it's the mobo's manufacturer software. Seriously, Gigabyte software is trash. It couldn't even read temps of the board for me reliably. My advice is uninstall ASAP. That's why I was asking what software didn't work for you as I expected that answer.

allardtimmermans

Reputable
Dec 3, 2017
Actually, reality is quite opposite :) If any software is not supposed to work, it's the mobo's manufacturer software. Seriously, Gigabyte software is trash. It couldn't even read temps of the board for me reliably. My advice is uninstall ASAP. That's why I was asking what software didn't work for you as I expected that answer.
Ah really? You'd think the own manifacturer would make software that works with their product... but thanks for informing me about this haha.. ill uninstall it right away :)