Question System fan won't connect ?

beauknowsdiddly

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
Hello,
My system fan won't connect because there just doesn't seem to be a spot for it. The fan is old and it has a 4 pin female Molex connection. The problem is the only available connections on my psu are also female molex, Is there some kind of adapter? I did a search for male to male 4 pin molex but no joy. Do they not make those? There has to be some kind of adapter, no?

Thanks everyone!

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Unfortunately the simple answer is no, nobody seems to sell a 4-pin Molex male-to-male adapter. But you can make your own if you can splice wires. Get TWO of this adapter type

https://www.amazon.com/Power-Cable-...ix=4-pin+molex+to+sata+adapter,aps,102&sr=8-3

That's a 3-pack (you can use 2 of them) of adapters from 4-pin male Molex to SATA. On two of them cut off the SATA connectors. Then simply spice wires from the two units matching wire colours. If possible, solder each connection and tape over to insulate.

What you describe is odd. The closest to that I have seen is a fan that came with TWO connectors on its wires, one female and one male, so that you could plug in a fan and have a female connector left over to "replace" the one "used" by the fan.