Question System Freezes Up Randomly When Playing Video Games

Aug 12, 2021
So as stated in the title my computer freezes up when playing games. This happened suddenly and has been happening more frequently as time has gone on, with no hardware changes before or during when the crashes started to happen. It happens on games like Final Fantasy XIV, Company of Heroes 2, and Hell Let Loose (the game that freezes the most consistently). I don't have to be doing anything graphically intensive in the games, I could just be standing there and the system freeze could happen. It seems entirely random other than the fact that it only happens while playing games. To go ahead and provide some examples of the tests I've ran:

- I've ran hardware monitors in the background and my temperatures are running at optimal levels.
- My PSU is less than a year old and I used another PSU to see if it was the problem and my system still froze.
- I've uninstalled and reinstalled my graphics drivers.
- I've reinstalled windows and cleaned my system.
- I tried my graphics card out on another system entirely and after an hour on the game that crashes the most on my original system (Hell Let Loose) the computer did not freeze once.
- The only critical error that comes up in my system logs in Kernel-Power 41, but I'm fairly certain that it has to do with me having to manually shut off my computer.

My system specs are as follows:

Motherboard - MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC
CPU - Intel Core i9-9900K
GPU - Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX (2x8 GB) 3000 MHz
SSD - WD_Black SN750
PSU - EVGA 850 GR

If there is anyone who could help me in any way I would be greatly appreciative. Thank you.

Aug 12, 2021
I would like to ask if the other system you tried the GPU on has the same driver version as your crashing system.
Yes, I made sure to uninstall and then reinstall the graphics drivers on that system as a "just in case." Although the GPU on that system was also a GTX 1060 but it was a 3GB instead of 6GB.

Chacko586

Honorable
May 19, 2016
Yes, I made sure to uninstall and then reinstall the graphics drivers on that system as a "just in case." Although the GPU on that system was also a GTX 1060 but it was a 3GB instead of 6GB.
Did you check the temperature of your SSD or use CrystalDiskInfo to check your SSD health? Sorry if it seems as though I'm playing a guessing game here but I am trying my best to figure this out as a non-expert!

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2021
Did you check the temperature of your SSD or use CrystalDiskMark to check your SSD health? Sorry if it seems as though I'm playing a guessing game here but I am trying my best to figure this out as a non-expert!
I have not tried that so I definitely will. And no worries It's been a guessing game for me too but any help is appreciated!

Chacko586

Honorable
May 19, 2016
I have not tried that so I definitely will. And no worries It's been a guessing game for me too but any help is appreciated!
Oh I forgot to mention, check the SSD temp when you game and its CrystalDiskInfo instead of CrystalDiskMark, but you could stress test it and see what temps you get too!

Aug 12, 2021
Oh I forgot to mention, check the SSD temp when you game and its CrystalDiskInfo instead of CrystalDiskMark, but you could stress test it and see what temps you get too!
Ran CrystalDiskMark and my SSD health seems fine. Also played Hell Let Loose for about 15 minutes and my SSD temp never went above 40*C.

Chacko586

Honorable
May 19, 2016
Ran CrystalDiskMark and my SSD health seems fine. Also played Hell Let Loose for about 15 minutes and my SSD temp never went above 40*C.
Have you tried using other RAM sticks or testing your ram using memtest86 or Windows Memory Diagnostic? Also,, did this start happening after any update of any sort?

Aug 12, 2021
Have you tried using other RAM sticks or testing your ram using memtest86 or Windows Memory Diagnostic? Also,, did this start happening after any update of any sort?
Sadly I don't have access to other RAM sticks right now but I ran the diagnostics and there was no problem with my RAM sticks in the test.