System freezes without warning, no BSOD.

aftaylor

Reputable
Mar 4, 2014
Hey guys, first of all thanks for your attention.

I've been experiencing this issue for a while and I don't know what to do anymore. First I had lots of BSODs until I found out one of the memory sticks was defective. I RMA'd it and got new ones back. Now the problem is: Very randomly my system hangs and nothing responds, not even CAPSLOCK or NUMLOCK, neither mouse or anything, so I have to hard reset it. There's no apparent reason, no warning, no BSOD, and it happened three times already since March 1st. I thought it could be my sound drivers (I use Realtek, came with the mobo) and the GeForce installed its drivers too, which I've updated. Thought about disabling them, but I'm not sure if they're the real problem, since when I was using a Markvision memory stick before my Corsair Vengeance ones didn't return I didn't have this problem. And I never had to disable nVidia audio drivers in my old setup. So I'm out of clues and I'd really appreciate some help.
P.S.: I don't use overclocking.

This is the log of the problem:

- System

- Provider

[ Name] Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
[ Guid] {331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}

EventID 41

Version 2

Level 1

Task 63

Opcode 0

Keywords 0x8000000000000002

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2014-03-07T17:34:57.819609300Z

EventRecordID 20775

Correlation

- Execution

[ ProcessID] 4
[ ThreadID] 8

Channel System

Computer SergioVianna-PC

- Security

[ UserID] S-1-5-18

- EventData

BugcheckCode 0
BugcheckParameter1 0x0
BugcheckParameter2 0x0
BugcheckParameter3 0x0
BugcheckParameter4 0x0
SleepInProgress false
PowerButtonTimestamp 0

My specs are:

Processor: Intel Core i3-2100 3.10GHz
Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-M
PSU: Corsair CX750W
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 2x4GB
GPU: ZOTAC GeForce GTS 450
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB

Solution
Sorry I didn't' see the PSU. Well please try Nvidia (which includes AUDIO drivers because HDMI connections carry both the video AND audio signal so Nvidia has to install both) steps first (least impact to your system) to see if it resolves it or not.

My testing at this point would be
1) What happened when you tried the 'other stick' of this RAM
2) Test with the 1333 again - Stable no issues ever? Then guess that RAM is just what works?!?!
3) while the RAM is compatible, did you ensure the TIMING is the same for THAT CPU (different CPU different timing) and THAT RAM type? Please confirm this I don't see a response (maybe I missed it) on this point. TIMING is usually 12,7,7,9 or some combo like that. The mobo manual would have it...
Some of the 'Basics'

Did you install all Windows Updates? Including options except BING? Check them and repeat till ALL are installed.

Download and run Slim Drivers, install all the latest updates but you don't need to reboot until you do the last update

Remove whatever AV your using and go to www.filehippo.com and download AVAST! or AVG and do a full system scan - this repeatedly has resolved alot of people issue relying on MS Essentials.

Download Malwarebytes do a full system scan (AV doesn't pick up alot of malware) - this resolved almost ALL other similiar posts to date as most had Malware the AV didn't pick up.

Repeat the AV/Malware scans till the system comes up clean.

Download and run SPECCY, copy and paste the first tab to show your idle temps

Download and run MSI Afterburner, run some of the games that crash, what temps are you getting when underload?

Open Computer, Can Air dust out the bunnies and use paint brush on the vents, coolers, fans, etc.

** Great no OC :) that is a common issue as well.
Let us know each result please

aftaylor

Reputable
Mar 4, 2014
First, thanks for the quick answers! I scanned my system with Avira and Malwarebytes, deleted the issues MBAM brought up, ran CCleaner, rebooted system, all drivers are up to date. So far I didn't have any freezings during gaming, all three times I was only on Windows using the internet. For example I play Far Cry 3, Torchlight 2, Skyrim, on the highest specs, and no problem. This has only happened while using Windows, no gaming.

@neieus: I use Windows 7 64 bit, sorry for not sharing this before
@Tom: No, I didn't install Windows Updates, I'll give it a try.

I'd like to know if a possible reason is because I use i3-2100 with 2x 1600MHz RAM sticks. I used one 1333MHz stick for one week, until I could get answer from the RMA, and I didn't have any kind of issue, system would run really smooth. Theoretically i3-2100 won't support 1600MHz RAM.

Once again, thanks for the backup. First time I see people who really want to help in a forum thread.

Uhm normally it would throttle back the MHz, so even if it was 1600, it only push it to 1333 if that was a limit on the i3-2100. My more concern would be TIMING. If you had the wrong timing (see your Mobo Manual or use Crucial's memory suggestion webpage) then these things can happen as you described. Never try to get 'higher' then a component is capable of, they are limited.

1) Also you may (after all the Windows Updates AND Options EXCEPT BING) want to check the BIOS doesn't need a update.

2) Please do use Slim Drivers, you would be amazed at when you 'thought' all the drivers were up to date, come key ones were not 'updated' for whatever reason (I/O controller, etc.) that is sort of 'hidden' unless you use a tool like Slim Drivers.

3) While MBAM deleted some items, it be best to do a FULL scan repeatedly till ALL malware is removed. The symptoms still suggest there may be more issues malware related, if Avira (2013 Suite?) did a full scan and didn't find anything viral.

4) Run MEMx86 to test the RAM, HDTUne to test the HDD, then FURMARK to test the system overall. Worst case (as I suspected initially) would be we get all positive results, which would infer the probability of the PSU might be failing as the issue is inconsistent and not replicable (you can't do A then B then C and BOOM problem).

5) Still like to see your SPECCY and see the temps on your system , have you cleaned it out as I suggested?

aftaylor

Reputable
Mar 4, 2014
Tom, finished Windows Update and Slim Drivers, but I have a feeling things got a bit worse, my system froze just like 10 minutes ago, had to hard reset again. I made a restore point before updating, do I use it? I had run MemTest86+ before with each stick, 4~5 passes each, no errors. As to Speccy, I took a snapshot and also saved to a .txt file, so you choose the one which is better for you to visualize.

I was taking a look into other threads and read about the XMP feature making the RAM clock run at the stock configs, is that true? Could it be a possible solution?

Another thing, if I didn't make myself clear before by writing too much info at once: while my defective sticks were in the RMA, I used a 4GB Markvision 1333Mhz for one whole week, without any problems. I got the Corsair ones back, new, and I started using them again, then issues started as well. As I said, I don't have BSODs anymore, only these random freezing.

I'll try running MemTest again, now with both sticks plugged; since I bought a pack, if either one is defective I'll have to RMA both anyways.

Here are the Speccy files:
http://www.4shared.com/rar/uThtUuAhba/aftaylor-speccy.html

Thanks in advance!

Could just highlight the tab information and copy paste your results, the shared file doesn't exist.

Using ONE RAM by itself (Markvision) is good, but what happens with ONE Corsair RAM? Do you get a issue with just ONE RAM stick in?

Are you just putting both Corsair in just the first two slots, or are you following the MOBO MANUAL on proper Dual Channel pairing? This can be a issue if your just putting them in 1st and 2nd slots instead of slot 0 and slot 2, then slot 1 and slot 3 for the second pairing.

Random freezes can be any number of things, but best if you can note a repeating pattern of when it occurs. For example usually 20 minutes after you turn on the PC, or maybe every time your running 5 tabs or more in Chrome, or when watching Netflix it 'usually ' freezes. Just saying 'RANDOMLY' means ANY part of the system can be the cause and there is no solution then your just 'poking in the dark' and the best overall answer is a clean wipe then install of the OS.

aftaylor

Reputable
Mar 4, 2014
As I ran MemTest with only one Corsair stick again today (9 passes, no issues), I'm using with only one, so later I can MemTest the other (had some work to do on the PC first), so far no issues. Yes, I plugged them according to the manual, following the dual channel pairing. The freezing doesn't follow a pattern, I wish it had, it would be easier to find the culprit. Sometimes it takes hours, days, yesterday it was only 20min. Do you think it could be a problem in the Dual Channel in the mobo?

Well, I still wanna test the remaining stick overnight to see if I have a defective one AGAIN. If so, I'll express my dissatisfaction w/ the product to the store which sold it and try to buy another brand. That's sad, many people said very good things about the Corsair RAMs, but also I've seen people compaining about their Dual Channel Kits, not individual RAMs. This kit:

http://assets.vr-zone.net/11921/7089.jpg

I really appreciate your time and effort to help me, I do hope it's bad RAM again, so I can just RMA it again and solve my problem. I hope it's not a physical problem on the mobo's dual channel.

aftaylor

Reputable
Mar 4, 2014
UPDATE: System just froze 5 minutes ago w/ only ONE Corsair stick, the one which passed 9 MemTest passes clean. So it's definitely NOT the RAM (not this stick, at least). My GPU is almost 2 yrs old, could it be a symptom of my GPU "dying"? Gonna run MemTest for the other stick anyways, doesn't hurt to check for other problems as well. Is there something I can use to test my GPU for defects?

Okay, basically at this point we have only a few choices left. We need to determine if there is a software or hardware issue.

First and foremost, what is your temps? Run Speccy, as well as please copy and paste the first tab here we can see it.
Second what is your PSU model / watts?
Third did you check for a BIOS update on the Mobo?
Fourth can you put back to just the Markvision for a while and see if you get the issue to repeat? (run the Mem test etc. to try and force it to occur).

My thoughts are
A) Overheating
B) BIOS may not recognize it correctly till a memory leak locks the system
C) The RAM is the wrong type for that MOBO/CPU
D) Windows / a unknown driver is corrupt and we can't "see" what the issue is as it just locks up no error is displaying (did you check the Event Log to see what the last thing it does before each hard reboot?)

Okay and what were you 'doing' when these BSOD / etc. were happening? Playing your MP3s? Editing a Video? Playing BF4 on Ultra? Looking at Stupid Human pictures on the web? Reading a Kindle book? Typing a Word Document? Opening the 23rd web page tab in chrome?

My list still is along the most likely culprits, so first lets try this. Download Driver Fusion (aka Driver Sweeper). Uninstall your NVidia drivers as normal (control panel), then run Driver Fusion to really remove all the parts to them. Reboot. Download the newest (I believe Beta) from NVidia, and reinstall. Then try to replicate (above) the 'most likely way to crash my system' .

If A) this doesn't resolve it or B) there is absolutely no way to 'most likely crash' your system, then we are looking at a reload of Windows (first) as a solution or a hardware replacement (reason I was asking if you can retest with that 1333 memory). I am thinking (hardware) either the PSU isn't up to snuff (You didn't reply as to what PSU you have, how many watts it provides) OR the RAM isn't compatible.

aftaylor

Reputable
Mar 4, 2014
I've listed my specs on the topic opening, but here we go:

Processor: Intel Core i3-2100 3.10GHz
Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-M
PSU: Corsair CX750W 750W
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 2x4GB
GPU: ZOTAC GeForce GTS 450
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB

When I get the freezing I was just using the Chrome, checking e-mails, using Skype, Facebook, that kind of stuff. When I got the BlueScreen I was browsing the net searching for more answers. I closed the browser and when I did it: bluescreen. Yes, the RAM is compatible with my mobo, according to the manual and the ASUS website. By the way, this was my FurMark result:
http://imageshack.com/a/img543/9521/ic4p.jpg

Sorry I didn't' see the PSU. Well please try Nvidia (which includes AUDIO drivers because HDMI connections carry both the video AND audio signal so Nvidia has to install both) steps first (least impact to your system) to see if it resolves it or not.

My testing at this point would be
1) What happened when you tried the 'other stick' of this RAM
2) Test with the 1333 again - Stable no issues ever? Then guess that RAM is just what works?!?!
3) while the RAM is compatible, did you ensure the TIMING is the same for THAT CPU (different CPU different timing) and THAT RAM type? Please confirm this I don't see a response (maybe I missed it) on this point. TIMING is usually 12,7,7,9 or some combo like that. The mobo manual would have it specific for your MOBO + THAT CPU type.
4) Swap PSU to another for testing, does it reoccur the problem? If not, then I am more thinking (as seen happen alot based on many posts here) the PSU was failing when 'stressed' with that many memory taskings.
5) Run Windows Easy Transfer to external drive. Use DBAN CD to wipe drives completely. Reinstall Windows. Run all Updates and options, repeat till all are installed. Run Slim Drivers to update all drivers. Install Avira, Avast or AVG. Install just Chrome, Skype and your email client, run and test on this clean build (do NOT restore your data nor install other apps). Can you cause it to break? If so then we are looking at hardware component (RAM, PSU, Mobo, CPU, GPU). If it breaks stop here there is a process to work through to figure this out. If it good make a backup of this and see next step.
6) Restore with Windows Easy Transfer does it break now, if so you have a infection/corruption. Restore from backup you made or clean the system the same way again and you will have to deal with the loss of data.

Solution

aftaylor

Reputable
Mar 4, 2014
Ok, I'm going to try your instructions. I was thinking about removing the GPU for a while to see if the issues still occur. Sadly I don't have another PSU to test, I bought this one exactly because my old one died. It'll be a lot of tasking, maybe I'll take a while to reply, ok? But I'll keep you informed. Thanks!

aftaylor

Reputable
Mar 4, 2014
It seems two things may have been causing the problems: PSU was faulty, so I had it RMA'd and so far systems are OK. It had taken my equipment to my retailer and he promptly authorized the PSU's RMA. He also said the CPU may also cause issues like that, and since mine is 3yrs old+ it could be good to purchase another one, but that's a problem of cash now haha. Thank you, Tom for your time. Your suggestions for me to check PSU and CPU drove me to a sollution. Thanks!