System Idle Process is missing from Task Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

hugecool

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
Long story short: does anyone know how I get 'system idle process' to show up in Win 10 Pro's task manager when it's not there?

Longer version: Heya, So I have recently upgraded my pc from Win 7 Ultimate to Win 10 Pro and whenever I open the task manger, it claims that my cpu (i7-2600k) is being utilized for 100%. Never anything less.

2 gifs of the 'top users' of CPU:
260106c996d684af4971e2a294e5fc48.gif

abfe9cf15f6365bd3c81d9fa458ce6fb.gif

As you can see, closing the top user doesn't make cpu utilization go down at all.

So last night I noticed that there is no System Idle Process. This kind of felt like a 'chicken or the egg?' thing, because is it not there because cpu is being used 100% or does it say cpu is being used 100% because there is no System Idle Process?

So I downloaded Sysinternals Process Explorer for a second opinion on my CPU usage and that did show a System Idle Process:
c6b3ef4074fcf920c04dd3e6158c6ae3.png

Does anyone know how I get the default task manager to show System Idle Process as well, so it will show the actual cpu utilization?
Thanks in advance :)

Solution

To get back on this issue, I have resolved it :)
So maybe this will help other people with the same motherboard (ASRock P67 Professional B3)
I had to update my bios to v 3.10. (yes, from 2012 lol). Update and instructions on how to update your bios can be found here: http://www.techspot.com/drivers/driver/file/information/16055/
It will do something, reboot, do something again and afterwards it will reboot but you might see a black screen with a cursor in it and it won't go...

Colif

Win 11 Master
it doesn't show it there by default, if you go to the details tab and click CPU column it will show it there.

does it show as 100% if you do a clean boot? If it doesn't, I would look at start up programs

It could be result of the upgrade itself as sometimes a clean install of Win 10 can fix this.

Have you checked you have latest drivers for motherboard?

hugecool

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009

It doesn't show it anywhere in task manager. I'll have it sort for cpu utilization and record a few seconds of stuff that uses more than 0% so you can see there's no idle time in there. Will perform a clean boot afterwards.
8dc24ec653a571bf7362ba3b931fb0d8.gif

hugecool

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009

Seems I misunderstood what you meant. It does show up in the Details tab, yeah. Or at least it does after a fresh install (other tab still says 100%). Thanks :)

hugecool

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009

Yeah, it still does.
My specs are:
Windows 10 Professional
Motherboard: Fatal1ty P67 Professional (B3)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM (Corsair 16 GB DDR3-1333 Quad-Kit)
Available OS Memory: 16366MB RAM
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

Anything missing from that list that you want to know?

I have downloaded and installed these: http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Fatal1ty%20P67%20Professional/#osW1064
and I have used Intel Driver Update Utility to update that INF driver, because there was a newer one.
Installed Geforce stuff and the drivers for my wifi (Linksys AE2500 N600 Dual-Band Wireless-N USB Adapter)
Last night it said there were no more updates for Windows, but I see 'Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3213986)' now so I'll go install that as well

Colif

Win 11 Master
It might be a driver issue since comparing your boards choice of win 10 drivers to win 7 is interesting as to what is missing. You have 3 drivers in win 10 compared to... 12 on win 7.

If PC works fine apart from showing 100% CPU all the time, you doing well as it could be worse. I cannot guess which driver is to blame.

hugecool

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009

It appears to work fine for now yeah. Reason I performed a fresh install wasn't because I wanted to, though. I tried to perform a clean boot and it said my MBR changed from GPT to something else to WIN10 didn't recognize the disk at all lol. No idea what the cause was, but as long as it works fine it's all good.

I might replace the default task manager with the sysinternals one though, just so I can see my actual cpu usage.

Thanks for the help :)

Colif

Win 11 Master
process exploder has too much info sometimes, and unless you run it as admin all the time it can't see as much info on graphs as the regular taskbar can, doesn't break up the drives for instance.

Still useful for finding driver leaks and what is using ram :)

hugecool

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009

To get back on this issue, I have resolved it :)
So maybe this will help other people with the same motherboard (ASRock P67 Professional B3)
I had to update my bios to v 3.10. (yes, from 2012 lol). Update and instructions on how to update your bios can be found here: http://www.techspot.com/drivers/driver/file/information/16055/
It will do something, reboot, do something again and afterwards it will reboot but you might see a black screen with a cursor in it and it won't go past that. That seems to be because it rearranges your boot order.

Restart your pc and go back into the bios (F2 on startup), and go to the boot order. Move Windows Boot Manager to the top of the list, save and exit (F10) and you should be good to go :)

Solution
Feb 15, 2020
I just wanted to post in the forum that the information here helped me to solve a problem I was having with Task Manger always showing 100% CPU usage. I have a old Acer Veriton M4618G that was built with a Core I3 2100 CPU. I was able to pick up a used Core I5 2500 that I swapped in to the unit, but after the CPU swap the Task Manager always showed CPU at 100%. After searching Google I stumbled across this thread and ran across your idea of the BIOS update, I checked my computer and is was running BIOS P01.A0 from 4/16/2011. I updated the BIOS to P01.B0 from 8/31/2012 and problem solved. Now my CPU shows 0% to 10% at idle like it should. Thanks everyone for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS