[SOLVED] System instability after fan repair

youngerdryas

Prominent
Jan 7, 2022
A few months ago two blades on my 200mm fan on my ThermalTake Core V1 case broke off. This caused the PC to constantly shake. I wasn't able to replace the fan due to not having enough money until recently. After I replaced the fan, I started having the issue with my PC being unstable and games being unplayable. I play a lot of Rainbow Six Siege and I cannot no longer get decent FPS. I used to be able to reach 100-150+ FPS, but now I can't even reach 30 FPS. I have a suspicion it's my SSDs because it lags my desktop when I try to copy stuff from SSD to SSD, but I have but I have scanned them and found no errors. My whole system lags and I don't know what to do about it. I'm out of solutions

my specs are:

Ryzen 5 1600X
RX 580 8GB
2x 8GB Ram sticks
500 GB SSD
120 GB NVME

Solution
Make sure to check temperatures of both the CPU and GPU too. You could easily have a temp issue. The vibrations from the broken fan may have broken the thermal compounds on either the CPU or GPU if they were strong enough.
Looks like I might have to do this; My cpu temp is reportedly in 75.25 C, is that a normal temp for a 1600X?
If you are idle and not doing anything, no, that is very high. Seems like a repaste of the CPU and remount of the cooler is in your future. Make sure to clean the computer out of any dust as well. Clean all the dust filters on the intake fans as well so air gets through them.

youngerdryas

Prominent
Jan 7, 2022
Make sure to check temperatures of both the CPU and GPU too. You could easily have a temp issue. The vibrations from the broken fan may have broken the thermal compounds on either the CPU or GPU if they were strong enough.

Thanks for the help. Re-applying thermal paste to the CPU stabilized the system. Temps are still a bit high so I plan to go into town tomorrow to get some compressed air to clean the cooler and fans

Reactions: helper800