Question System is a real pain to boot.

Stewart_5

Reputable
Mar 16, 2016
Hi all, I have a system here that takes ages to boot.
MoBo is a GA Z170X with 2x4GB Hyperx ram, PSU is a Corsair CX600M.
Boot drive is a 240 GB SSD.
OS is Windows 10

I dont think it matters what the system runs, but just in case it does, a few games, (not the fast action memory & CPU hungry type)
watching DVDs, listening to music, Photoshop CS6, and various office tasks.

It was booting as it should, but last month or so it has started taking longer and longer to boot properly.

When I try to boot the system it powers up for a few seconds and then cuts out and trys to reboot again.
This can go on for just a few attempts, or 5 - 15 minuets. The system wont even get to POST before rebooting.

First I thought the PSU, so I put a spare in, still same prob,
Also try moving 1 or both sticks of ram to other slots, no change.
even disconnecting DVD drive (both power and data), also done this for both HDD's just leaving the boot drive SSD connected,
yep you guessed it, still no change.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I would check the BIOS, make sure its up to date, and one test you can do is remove the front panel connections and use a flat head screw driver to short the power pins and power it on. See how it works.

In worst case I would take the entire setup out of the case and then do a piece by piece test, basically try with just whats needed to see how it handles powering on, getting to the BIOS etc, and then add piece by piece. If it all works outside the case it could easily be an issue with something in the case.

Stewart_5

Reputable
Mar 16, 2016
Hi, pulled the CMOS battery, (power turned off at switch) waited a couple minutes and but battery back. Turned on and reboot. still same problen, but I will try it again as time & date were still current. guess any caps along the way held a bit of a charge.

Last edited: