Sep 25, 2024
I’ll start with my specs:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/CX97cH

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7700X 4.5 GHz 8-Core Processor ($244.49 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Vetroo V240 52 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B650M GAMING X AX Micro ATX AM5 Motherboard ($206.75 @ MemoryC)
Memory: G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory ($96.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN580 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: ASRock Challenger OC Radeon RX 7800 XT 16 GB Video Card ($469.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Thermaltake View 270 ATX Mid Tower Case ($85.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Thermaltake Smart 700 W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1279.17
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-09-25 09:21 EDT-0400

System seems to be under-performing based on what i’ve seen for benchmarks on what is essentially the same system. No crashes. I get stutters every few seconds, but it is the worst during VR. Comparable to the occasional stutter you get when you first load into a new area, but more frequent and persistent during gameplay. It’s been worst in Half Life: Alyx. I’ve seen others with the same system running this on Ultra, 120%+ resolutions, out of the box, no FSR, and are getting 70-90 frames no stutter, yet I can barely run it on 80% normal resolution with OpenVR FSR set to balanced, without game ending stutters that render this almost unplayable. In regards to non-vr… i get occasional issues but not as badly, and im on 1080p! It should be MORE than butter smooth at 1080p.

Benchmarks in tests seem normal. I’ve monitored temps and they are all normal, CPU, GPU, and system.

I’ve tried:
  • DDU and reinstall GPU drivers
  • Reset BIOS to default
  • Remove Adrenaline software and do a “driver only” install.
  • Turn off expo profile (gigabyte’s crappy version of XMP).
  • Disable CPU onboard graphics via bios.
  • Ryzen master, optimize cores (no overclocking applied).

Seems to be a lot of no-solution forum posts with similar issues, but little in the way of solutions other than getting an Nvidia card instead.

I had the 7800xt in an Am4 system before this with a R7 5700x and it feels like it ran so much better, and even performed so much better!

And before you say that PSU isn’t enough wattage… there is between 100 and 200 watts of headroom here guys. Everything is plugged into the right slots (Ram, GPU, HDMI).

I’m flustered and running out of ideas.

Am I stupid to think that this almost $1200 AM5 system should be able to run games on High-Ultra settings, stutter free and smoothly? Especially at 1080p?!

Heres a link to a Reddit thread with the same issues:

Last edited:
I’ll start with my specs:

MBD: B650M Gaming X
CPU: Ryzen 7 7700X
GPU: RX 7800 XT
RAM: G.skill Flare X5
PCIe SSD - storage and boot
PSU: Thermaltake 700w
240mm AIO

System seems to be under-performing based on what i’ve seen for benchmarks on what is essentially the same system. No crashes. I get stutters every few seconds, but it is the worst during VR. Comparable to the occasional stutter you get when you first load into a new area, but more frequent and persistent during gameplay. It’s been worst in Half Life: Alyx. I’ve seen others with the same system running this on Ultra, 120%+ resolutions, out of the box, no FSR, and are getting 70-90 frames no stutter, yet I can barely run it on 80% normal resolution with OpenVR FSR set to balanced, without game ending stutters that render this almost unplayable. In regards to non-vr… i get occasional issues but not as badly, and im on 1080p! It should be MORE than butter smooth at 1080p.

Benchmarks in tests seem normal. I’ve monitored temps and they are all normal, CPU, GPU, and system.

I’ve tried:
-DDU and reinstall GPU drivers
-Reset BIOS to default
-Remove Adrenaline software and do a “driver only” install.
-Turn off expo profile (gigabyte’s crappy version of XMP).
-Disable CPU onboard graphics via bios.

Seems to be a lot of no-solution forum posts with similar issues, but little in the way of solutions other than getting an Nvidia card instead.

I had the 7800xt in an Am4 system before this with a R7 5700x and it feels like it ran so much better, and even performed so much better!

And before you say that PSU isn’t enough wattage… there is between 100 and 200 watts of headroom here guys. Everything is plugged into the right slots (Ram, GPU, HDMI).

I’m flustered and running out of ideas.

Am I stupid to think that this almost $1200 AM5 system should be able to run games on High-Ultra settings, stutter free and smoothly? Especially at 1080p?!

Did you adjust CPU performance in BIOS? At factory defaults it's at least 20-25% slower than when properly adjusted.
Similarly with RAM, without EXPO/XMP it defaults to lowest speed which can also impact performance a lot.
As for GPU, it also defaults to lowest performance without Adrenalin software in which you can set "Performance mode" for some more boost.
In Adrenalin software you should also make sure that "AMD Smart Access Memory" is enabled and equivalent to it enabled in BIOS.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2024
EXPO is not gigabyte's crappy version of XMP. It is AMD's version of XMP. Wattage doesn't concern me on that power supply, but the quality does. Did you do a fresh install of windows for this, or did you carry over your install from the 5700x build?
I’m used to the msi motherboards and seeing “xmp” so I just assumed.

I used a fresh install. I had an nvme ssd on that am4 build… so it wasn’t compatible with the pcie slots anyways so I had to change all of that and fresh install with a new ssd.

I’m just beyond confused at this point.. maybe I try to reinstall windows? But something about this is screaming “hardware issue” to me.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2024
Did you adjust CPU performance in BIOS? At factory defaults it's at least 20-25% slower than when properly adjusted.
Similarly with RAM, without EXPO/XMP it defaults to lowest speed which can also impact performance a lot.
As for GPU, it also defaults to lowest performance without Adrenalin software in which you can set "Performance mode" for some more boost.
In Adrenalin software you should also make sure that "AMD Smart Access Memory" is enabled and equivalent to it enabled in BIOS
In Adrenalin software you should also make sure that "AMD Smart Access Memory" is enabled and equivalent to it enabled in BIOS.
Maybe I try to download adrenaline again and see what can be changed in there?

Reactions: CountMike

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
I’m used to the msi motherboards and seeing “xmp” so I just assumed.

I used a fresh install. I had an nvme ssd on that am4 build… so it wasn’t compatible with the pcie slots anyways.

I’m just beyond confused at this point.. maybe I try to reinstall windows? But something about this is screaming “hardware issue” to me.
How can you expect great performance when the PC is not setup that way? Screaming hardware issues will not solve your problem. Instead of choosing a pie-in-the-sky problem, listen to folks who KNOW or know a lot more about PC issues.

Sep 25, 2024
How can you expect great performance when the PC is not setup that way? Screaming hardware issues will not solve your problem. Instead of choosing a pie-in-the-sky problem, listen to folks who KNOW or know a lot more about PC issues.
He asked a question about the build, I answered. We’re giving input back and fourth, so not sure what you’re all emotional about. Are you going to whine or are you going to provide something constructive? If you want to troll go on reddit.

Also, what are you talking about? Set up which way? What are you even saying? That doesn’t even make sense. Did you even read any of what was posted or are you just screaming from left field?

If you’re talking about my reply about the NVME, I had to switch it to a PCIE ssd. If you knew a single thing, you’d know that an NVME doesn’t work in a PCIE at all, it wouldn’t even be able to be used. In other words, I was saying I HAD to switch to a fresh install because I HAD to switch to a brand new SSD. If you actually read my post, you’d have known that.

Also, i’m waiting for input from experienced people, that is why i’m here. I’m still waiting for you to give constructive help, but you’re just whining because you got sensitive over nothing.

Lastly, let people speak for themselves. If they have a problem with what I said then they can say that. Let’s not white knight the forums.

Last edited:

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
He asked a question about the build, I answered. We’re giving input back and fourth, so not sure what you’re all emotional about. Are you going to whine or are you going to provide something constructive? If you want to troll go on reddit.

Also, what are you talking about? Set up which way? What are you even saying? That doesn’t even make sense. Did you even read any of what was posted or are you just screaming from left field?

If you’re talking about my reply about the NVME, I had to switch it to a PCIE ssd. If you knew a single thing, you’d know that an NVME doesn’t work in a PCIE at all, it wouldn’t even be able to be used. In other words, I was saying I HAD to switch to a fresh install because I HAD to switch to a brand new SSD. If you actually read my post, you’d have known that.

Also, i’m waiting for input from experienced people, that is why i’m here. I’m still waiting for you to give constructive help, but you’re just whining because you got sensitive over nothing.

Lastly, let people speak for themselves. If they have a problem with what I said then they can say that. Let’s not white knight the forums.
Thought I was relying to the OP. He does need to optimize everything. Hardware is last on the list...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I think you are confusing mSATA and NVMe. mSATA or B key M.2 is SATA in an M.2 slot. If your board drops support for SATA in M.2, then an old drive would not work. But if you had an NVMe M.2, which would have been PCIe, then it would also work in this new system.

What about CPU temperatures? Are you certain the pump on that cooler is functional and not air locked? CPU clock speeds look alright in Ryzen Master?

GPU temperatures? I wouldn't expect this to be a problem since you had the card previously, never hurts to check.

As others have said, EXPO should be on to get your memory working at full speed. Also double check that you have your memory in the proper slots for dual channel operation.

Power supply is questionable for running this system, but that would be apparent quickly with shutdowns and crashing.

Reactions: CountMike