System locks up after reintall CMOS battery

THAVICIOUS1

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
Happy holidays to all my friends on here

Has anyone ever had this problem? This is what happened. I was overfclocking my pc
a few weeks ago, and i couldnt start it up, even holding down .del key didnt work for me
So i had to reset the bios by taking the CMOS batery out the motherboard. And
Once i think i got everything back up, time i plug in something USB or Unplug it.
Or insert a game or what ever into the dvd and dvd rw drive,
It locks up for about 3 mins and i cannot do anythinb but wait its very annoying
I just reinstalled windows like 4 weeks ago and dont want to do it again :(
It's ultra time consuming I wish there was some kind of solution for this problem
hopefully you guys didnt have to go through any of this like i am having at the moment.
There has got to be a solution for this just wish i knew where to start..

Thanks in advance
Hope all of you have a happy TGIF.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Resetting your BIOS involves a little bit more than just removing the battery. Here's the full sequence, although you have already done some of it.
1. BEFORE starting you need to know about any custom settings already made in the BIOS, because you will have to re-establish them. If you did not ever make any adjustments, MAYBE the default BIOS setup will be just fine. So, if you can, make notes on the current BIOS settings before starting.
2. Shut down, and disconnect all power. Open the case. GROUND yourself to ensure you don't have a static charge on you to zap the innards. Remove the BIOS battery that looks like a quarter in a plastic holder. NOTE which way it goes in.
3. Find the little jumper near the battery on a set of three pins marked BIOS Reset or something similar. Move it from the pair of pins it is on to jumper from middle to the other one. Leave this way 5 to 10 sec. Move the jumper back to where it was to begin.
4. Replace the battery. Check to make sure you did not jar something loose by accident. Close the case. Reconnect power cord.
5. Turn on the computer and immediately enter BIOS Setup (usually by holding down the "Del" key).
6. In BIOS Setup, go to usually the last menu set and find where you can Load Default Parameters. Load either the Default or the Optimized Default set. Save and Exit, and the machine will reboot. This will ensure that your BIOS is loaded with a complete stable set of parameters and your machine should work fine.
7. IF you know that some BIOS settings need to be changed, reboot and enter BIOS Setup again to make those changes. Save and Exit after changing.

Here are a few common things that might not be correct in the default settings that were loaded.
1. How are the SATA Port Modes set? If you were running Win XP in any version without having loaded the AHCI or SATA drivers as part of the original Win Install process (via the F6 key from a floppy), you probably have to set the ports to IDE Emulation mode. If you're running Vista or Win 7, this should not be necessary, unless you know they were in IDE Emulation mode before.
2. Check and re-set the Boot Priority Sequence to use only the units you intend. For most people, that is an optical drive first choice, then a HDD that has the OS installed on it, and no other choices. For example, my system (a little different) has the sequence: floppy drive; 1st (of 2) optical drive; 1st (of 2) internal SATA HDD's; nothing else in the list.
3. Verify that the CPU Voltage and RAM voltage settings are correct for your hardware. Occasionally the BIOS does not read the mobo components right and gets this wrong slightly. Also check RAM timing settings.
4. Check how automatic fan speed controls for CPU and case cooling are set. If you do NOT have those fans plugged into the mobo (powered from a Molex or a fan controller, for example), you may have to tell the BIOS to Ignore the fan speed readings for that mobo fan port, or it might start sending you dire messages about fan failure.
4. If you have any extra controllers and ports (e.g., a spare LAN port, or an eSATA port, or IEEE1394a (aka Firewire 400) port), check that they are Enabled or Disabled as you need them. Check the setting for Legacy Support on the USB system.