System locks up and makes strange noise over speakers

wooke

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2006
Hello everyone and thanks to anyone that can help me figure this out.

when playing DDO my system will freeze and start a whining noise not unllike the chirping of a modem over my headset speakers and i have to power down to fix.

I am thinking this is heat related and upped my control for fans in my system but was not sure and wondered if anyone had a similar experience.

My newest addition is Audigy II ZS with breakout box...
the rest of my rig

Athlon 64 3000+ Winchester
Soltek SL-K8TPro-939
Corsair XMS Extreme Memory DDR400 512MB X 2
Seagate 80 GB Barracuda 7200RPM SATA
Maxtor 300GB backup/datastorage drive PATA
MSI nVIDIA GF 128MB GDDR3 Model "NX6600GT-VTD128"
Thermalright XP90-C with panaflow 92cm
Fan Controller basic four dials for four fans CPU/IN/OUT/VidCard

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
I had a similar problem with my computer once and eventually tracked it to a defective memory module. Mine computer would work fine most of the time but then freezes with a highpitched sound during certain games. Im assuming this is because the games it froze on were addressing a particular part of the memory that was defective.

It might be wort you downloading memtest86 (do a google search) and running a few passess of that.

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
I had a similar problem with my computer once and eventually tracked it to a defective memory module. Mine computer would work fine most of the time but then freezes with a highpitched sound during certain games. Im assuming this is because the games it froze on were addressing a particular part of the memory that was defective.

It might be wort you downloading memtest86 (do a google search) and running a few passess of that.
Memtest86 Web Site

pat

Expert
Hello everyone and thanks to anyone that can help me figure this out.

when playing DDO my system will freeze and start a whining noise not unllike the chirping of a modem over my headset speakers and i have to power down to fix.

I am thinking this is heat related and upped my control for fans in my system but was not sure and wondered if anyone had a similar experience.

My newest addition is Audigy II ZS with breakout box...
the rest of my rig

Athlon 64 3000+ Winchester
Soltek SL-K8TPro-939
Corsair XMS Extreme Memory DDR400 512MB X 2
Seagate 80 GB Barracuda 7200RPM SATA
Maxtor 300GB backup/datastorage drive PATA
MSI nVIDIA GF 128MB GDDR3 Model "NX6600GT-VTD128"
Thermalright XP90-C with panaflow 92cm
Fan Controller basic four dials for four fans CPU/IN/OUT/VidCard

Do you have the latest VIA Hyperion drivers? And the latest drivers for your sound card?

Other than that, maybe you can try running the memory at 2.7v. can be set in BIOS.

wooke

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2006
Thanks I will run Mem Test again... strange that everything worked fine for DAOC EQII COH etc then DDO would act like this.

I first put this system together over a year ago and ran memtest for approx 5 hours fine.

It can't hurt to run again thx again.

wooke

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2006
I used the drivers included with the soundcard.

Thanks for the reminder these should be put on my list of drivers to track.

I am definitely downloading the VIA Hyperion PRO driver pack:

you don't have to install the latest drivers unless you have a very recent VIA chipset (like the KT4##, K8T8##, P4X4## or newer) - in which case yes you should definitely upgrade, both for added performance, greater stability and compatibility

Thanks again for the great suggestions. I seem to migrate into the category if its not broken don't fix it but this driver pack looks promising.