Question System not booting when PCIe SSD is installed

Aug 24, 2024
I'm running a system off a SATA SSD and SATA HDD. I boot off the SSD. I wanted to upgrade to a PCIe m.2 SSD. Using an USB enclosure I initiated and formatted the drive to GPT. Then using DiskGenius I cloned the SATA SSD over to the m.2 SSD. However, when the m.2 SSD is installed, the booting gets stuck on the motherboard logo screen. It won't boot OR BIOS, it just sits on motherboard logo. Even if the boot is set to boot to the SATA, just having the m.2 in the slot causes it to fail to boot and won't enter BIOS. Boots fine to SATA when m2 SSD is not installed.

This is the system:
MOBO: Asus Tuf Gaming 570x plus
SSD: WD Blue SN580 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7
RAM: 16x2 Corsair

Things I've Tried:
Secure boot on/off
Fast boot on/off
Making NVMe only enabled boot option
Completely disabling anything other than SATA boot option
CSM on/off

It seems like the PC doesn't read the NVMe when it's installed but also doesn't read the SATA when the NVMe is installed as well. Not even being able to enter BIOs is really weird and confusing.

It seems like the PC doesn't read the NVMe when it's installed but also doesn't read the SATA when the NVMe is installed as well. Not even being able to enter BIOs is really weird and confusing.
1st There's no need to use any USB M.2 enclosures. Why are you using it exactly?

2nd Make sure:
Secure boot disabled,
Fast Boot disabled,
SATA controller is set to AHCI.
No NVME raid, no Storemi, no some other weird storage configuration.

Your motherboard has two M.2 slots.
Put NVME drive into other M.2 slot.

First boot from cloned drive has to be done with old drive disconnected. This step is not optional.
If you fail to do this and boot with old drive connected, then drive letters get messed up and you'll have to redo cloning.