Question System powers on but no go

Aug 13, 2024
I went to turn on my computer today and it powered up all fans and lights came on even keyboard lite up but there is no signal to monitor or to phone as I use my phones Hotspot to get online via a USB cord. I've tried everything re seated hardware even changed the CMOS battery and still nothing. When I hit the restart button nothing happens but when I press and hold the power button it will shut off. I have noticed the Hard drive light is steady and not blinking in and out like the Hard drive or in my case SSD all lights on tge motherboard are lite up is working so not sure what thus issue is I did have a window pop up when I turned on my PC yesterday saying CPU/Memory has changed so when in to BIOS and load my saved profile and it worked fine all day powered on when ever I would get on but today nothing. I have a i5 8600k cpu a MSI Z370 Gaming M5 motherboard a 1070 GTX GPU with 16 mb of ram if that helps

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Troubleshoot process of elimination.

Remove graphics card, try igpu.

Try one stick of ram at a time.

Cpu or memory overclock? Try reverting back to defaults. Since you're loading a saved profile, and if it is overclocked, cpu or memory, might not be stable anymore, or one of the memory modules might be causing trouble contributing to unstable overclock, so try one at a time.

What is your power supply model and how old?

Aug 13, 2024

Cpu or memory overclock? Try reverting back to defaults. Since you're loading a saved profile, and if it is overclocked, cpu or memory, might not be stable anymore, or one of the memory modules might be causing trouble contributing to unstable overclock, so try one at a time.

What is your power supply model and how o

Yeah tried all that problem is I can get into my BIOS to to do anything as there is no type of signal coming from my PC even tried using my boot drive to get the PC to boot so don't think it's the GPU as I stated when I hook my phone up to teether of it it won't highlight the option to turn it on but will charge phone I have a EVGA 650 PSU a d it's about 6 years old I'm getting power all fans, LED lights even peripherals light up just no type of signal nor is the HDD light indicator is a solid light not blinking like the Hard drive is working even hitting the restart button won't work just the power button

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I don't know what you've tried exactly or how. Phone is sort of a good indication, means comp isn't booting to Windows at all, so it's a hardware issue.

Try again, remove graphics card. Connect video cable to motherboard. Remove both sets of ram, install only one in a2 slot. Clear cmos - to reset bios and clear any saved profile.

Aug 13, 2024
I don't know what you've tried exactly or how. Phone is sort of a good indication, means comp isn't booting to Windows at all, so it's a hardware issue.

Try again, remove graphics card. Connect video cable to motherboard. Remove both sets of ram, install only one in a2 slot. Clear cmos - to reset bios and clear any saved profile.
If this helps I've noticed on the MB there is a EZ DEBUG printed on it with 4 LED lights next to it 1 for CPU 1 for GPU 1 For DRAM and 1 for Boot and it keeps blinking red back and forth between GPU and DRAM but when I plug my monitor into the integrated GPU it still blnks red and nothing happens

boju

Titan
Ambassador
If this helps I've noticed on the MB there is a EZ DEBUG printed on it with 4 LED lights next to it 1 for CPU 1 for GPU 1 For DRAM and 1 for Boot and it keeps blinking red back and forth between GPU and DRAM but when I plug my monitor into the integrated GPU it still blnks red and nothing happens

Removed the graphics card yet? Igpu is usually disabled with a graphics card installed so that's why i suggested to remove it, then try igpu.

Make sure ram is being properly seated too.

Clear cmos. Im a broken record because im not sure how you are troubleshooting.

Aug 13, 2024
Well starting to think it might be the PSU now when I turn it on it will power on then off power on then off so played with the connections and if I unplugg the cpu power cord it will power on but when I plug it back in it cliks off and on again

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Maybe, and probable given it's age and probably not a good unit to begin with.

Get Corsair Rm 650w. Remember to remove and replace any modular power cables, those that you connect to the psu. These can't be mixed so if you buy another psu that is also modular, replace all cables.

Aug 13, 2024
Maybe, and probable given it's age and probably not a good unit to begin with.

Get Corsair Rm 650w. Remember to remove and replace any modular power cables, those that you connect to the psu. These can't be mixed so if you buy another psu that is also modular, replace all cables.
Will give that a shot and if it ain't the PSU then I'll start replacing parts

Latest posts