Question System reports 89 degrees, thermal issue

Dec 21, 2021
I have built a system that has the following:

Asus Prime Z690-A
Intel i9-12900K
Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix (with Commander Core)
Corsair Kit to make the cooler work with LGA 1700
Corsair 5000D case

On initial startup (Windows isn't even installed yet) I get an error that the processor is at 89 degrees. The cooler pump does not appear to be working.

I've been working with the Geek Squad, and we have swapped out the motherboard and the cooler and nothing has changed. They were going to test whether the Commander Core might be responsible, but I don't know the result.

Is there anything we should try or be looking for?

we have swapped out the motherboard and the cooler and nothing has changed. They were going to test whether the Commander Core might be responsible
i don't see how this Elite Capellix actually powers the pump.
neither Corsair's image gallery or product description show specifics.
a USB 2.0 connection, a 4 pin PWM, a SATA power..?

if you can bypass the Commander Core, do that and connect pump directly to the motherboard.
this would be an easy way to determine if the Core is faulty.

was this complete setup purchased at Best Buy or do you have some membership with Geek Squad?
who actually built the system?

Dec 21, 2021
I built the system, but I don't keep a bunch of spare parts around so that's why the Geek Squad got involved.

The pump gets its power from the Commander Core, which gets power from a SATA connector from the PSU. It cannot be wired to work without the Commander Core. The Geeks have them on the shelf, so they can swap another out to test it. I just don't know if they have tried it yet.

Dec 21, 2021
To bring closure, nothing worked. Even if the cooler was working it could not handle the CPU. We removed it and replaced it with a Noctua NH-U12A which is keeping it nice and cool.