System Review: Digital Storm's Gaming Dominator

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ewood

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
rysis remains playable on the cheaper system up to 2560x1600 at High detail levels, but changing to Very High and adding AA drops both systems out of our highest resolution.

since when is 42 FPS unplayable?!?! maybe its just me but that seems a little off

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]ewood[/nom]rysis remains playable on the cheaper system up to 2560x1600 at High detail levels, but changing to Very High and adding AA drops both systems out of our highest resolution.since when is 42 FPS unplayable?!?! maybe its just me but that seems a little off[/citation]

21.2 FPS with everything cranked up, for the faster system. That's average, so you'll find several freeze frames as it's being played.

ewood

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2009
[citation][nom]Crashman[/nom]21.2 FPS with everything cranked up, for the faster system. That's average, so you'll find several freeze frames as it's being played.[/citation]
ahh i misread. i thought they meant 2560x1600 wasnt playable on hight settings. my mistake... should make sure i know what im talking about before i speak

darkvine

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
There are quiet a few companies like this popping up lately and I have to say I love it. They usually do good work, have great warranties the people who work their speak English so when I call (ibuypower as I have one of their laptops) the people not only know what their talking about but I can understand them for once.

I build my own computers, the only time I have used one of these companies was for a high end laptop but I got a laptop for $1100 that was slightly better then the over $3600 Dell XPS laptop at the time.

There are also the nice touches they do like having all good, name brand parts. Many times with Dell, HP etc. you will get somethings like the PSU as some crappy, barely running OEM thing. Here you can get 1000w Corsairs if you want. Also if you are not into building computers you can even get custom paint jobs and fulling installed water cooling loops and 4 GHz overclocked i7 out of the box.

G

I just wanna throw my 2 cents in for the people arguing about companies, pricing and support.

Anyone that has the ability to build and service their own anything, i don't care weather it's a computer,a sneaker or breakfast, will do it cheaper then having someone else do it for them.

your paying some amount for the system to be put together, weather it be $250 or greater then $250. So here is what it comes down to, a consumer is going to pay someone to build it for them. If the parts are comparable and the support is the same, then the cheaper price is obviously better. However that means if you give lifetime service and 5 years later they call up about the computer running slow, you need to take the call.

So here is what i ask you, would you rather pay $2,233 for lifetime service, 3 year parts warranty etc... or $2,000 for the computer and factory warranties?

Then when it breaks even if you can get the part for free from the warranty you still need to pay someone to put it in, if you need your computer "fixed" formatted you'll need to pay someone to do that too.

While i will tell anyone who is tech savvy to build it themselves, and i will offer to build computers for about $150, i do not want to deal with support.

for computer repair work, around me at least goes for about $90 an hour, I've never seen a job go over 2 hours though. so if you don't have problems or only have one or 2 your local repair shop will be cheaper then getting a computer from a company such as digital storm. (oh and their warranty does state that after 30 days you pay for shipping, within the first 30 days they will cover it)

For most people i would advise buying from a company however if you think you can maintain the computer yourself, at least the software side then get the "local geek" to build it for you, it'll be cheaper

Status
Not open for further replies.