System shutdown during expanding files windows 7 setup

G

Hi,
I recently built a new computer for my son (specs below) and each time I tried to install windows 7 I would get past where it lets you select the drive partitions and it would go to copying windows files. Then during expanding files each time at a different spot my computer would quit. The monitor would go black and the drives would stop chugging away but all of the fans would stay active. I would have to hold down the power button to restart. I've already solved the problem having tried swapping ram and disconnecting all of the peripherials. I read the forums here and that is how I came to the conclusion that it was a heat problem. The setup would not stop each time at the same place but at different places during the installation (and yes I tried XP as well thinking it might have been a driver issue). Comes to find out that the old nvidia 9800gt video card that I had taken from another computer was overheating. I replaced it with a new nvidia 9800gtx+ and the computer now runs smooth.

Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb

AMD Phenom II X4 925 Deneb 2.8GHz AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor

G.SKILL 4GB DRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600)

GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
That actually happenned to me, with a core-duo notebook, weeks ago.

Just like you said, except it died completely (I just assumed the external PSU went dead during the process... that's what I still think)

The disk is still "stuck" in the drive. (I know how to get it out, but have not).

I have been looking around for a new PSU/adapter, and have not sourced one yet.

I'll be watching this thread, if it stays alive.

( PS: It was a NewEgg OEM copy of Win7 Pro 32 )

= shrug? =

G

win 7 enterprise 64 vlk

The issue was not with windows 7 though. As I tried installing XP and had the same problem, but in a different step of the process.

Alvin Smith

Distinguished
500w should push it (tho you made no mention of graphics subsys) ...
... PSUs ('specially value-add models), tend to be a bit of a crap-shoot.

Either they carp-out right away, or after 2-3 yrs.

If you do have access to a 650-850w psu, in that class, you might try it.

What zact grphx card(s)? ... powered card(s)? ... SLI?

... just tryin' to get as many specifics as poss.

= Al =

G

EVGA 512-P3-N871-AR GeForce 9800 GTX 512MB 256-bit DDR3 is what is in it now.

The old card that I had put into the system originally was a BFG Tech 9800 gt 512 that had been in another computer of mine for a good while.

After removing that card the problem stopped persisting.

Both cards are powered by the PSU with the standard 6 pin connector.

The new card I would think to be a much bigger power hog than the old one. Do you think the power supply may be causing the 9800gt to overheat?

I have a 650w corsair in my box. I may pull it out and toss it in the new system to see if that solves the problem. It would save me from having to buy yet another video card.