System Slow after adding Seagate Barracuda Pro 6TB

innstalous

Reputable
Jul 30, 2016
As described in the title i added a new Seagate HDD to my system. before that i had a WD Black 1TB HDD together with an Samsung SSD 850 EVO. all was fine it booted up very quick and loaded up everything else also quick. but after i swapped out the WD Black with the Barracuda Pro my boottime has now increased from arround 6 to 20 seconds and also loading programms up like chrome etc. takes longer. I have installed my OS Windows 10 Pro on the SSD and the HDD is for other stuff like pictures, movies etc. i have tried everything but had no succes.

Here are my Specs

Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 5
CPU: i7 4790K
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 Xtreme
RAM: HyperX Fury 2x8GB
PSU: Seasonic 750X
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
HDD: Seagate Barracuda Pro 6TB (ST6000DM004)

stdragon

Admirable
Where is the slowdown? From POST (Power On Self Test) at the BIOS before Windows has a chance to boot? If so, the delay could be just waiting on the SATA drive to enumerate as an addressable storage device. There might not be much you can do to speed that up.

If it's Windows OS taking a long time time to load, it's possible you have Windows using that HDD as another volume for Virtual Memory allocation. If that's true, just choose "No paging file" from "System managed size" if that's what it's current set as.