Question System stopped working and won't POST ?

Sep 6, 2021
I recently built two systems with same configurations, PCPartpicker list here. Its 5950x on x570 Aorus Master, with RTX 3090. Initially everything went fine. Updated the bios before installing any parts. One cpu was lightly dropped on the table and a pin was bent. Managed to fix that and the CPU was properly seated. Went ahead with the installations, system POSTed just fine, got the OS installed and then after a day of use, while I was away, the system shut down and would not POST anymore.

The MoBo goes through the initialization, debug light on CPU, then DRAM and finally on VGA where it gets stuck. The debug code on the MoBo is A0, which translates to "IDE initialization started" as per gigabytes manual. Not sure what to make of that. On video output, the Aorus splash screen shown up on the monitor, but absolutely nothing happens afterwards. All keyboard inputs are ignored, I cannot get into the bios no matter what. Also, the keyboard itself does not seem to respond, ie the caps lock key does not light up the corresponding light.

Here is an imgur link with photos and videos of the booting process: View: https://imgur.com/a/i6Cg7v6

Initially I suspected the GPU because the light is stuck on VGA but I have managed to rule out the GPU. because I built two such systems (one of which works just fine), I swapped the GPU to verify that the GPU works just fine. I have tried the following things with no avail:

• Re-flashed Bios
  • Cleared CMOS
  • Disconnected all peripherals
  • Took out the M.2 SSD. This changed the debug code on the MoBo to 92, but still no post
  • Tightened/Loosened the CPU heatsink
  • Removed the GPU altogether

I did not swap or take out any RAM sticks because I don't think they are causing it. At this point I think it is the CPU that is bad. I a trying to get hold of another CPU to test it.

So PC builders, what do you think is the problem here? Any suggestions?

Thank you

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Can you rule out the processor by dropping it onto another motherboard and seeing the same issue is present on the other board? As for the BIOS update, what BIOS version did you update to? What BIOS version came shipped with the board? Try moving the rams to slots A1 and B1.

Sep 6, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Can you rule out the processor by dropping it onto another motherboard and seeing the same issue is present on the other board? As for the BIOS update, what BIOS version did you update to? What BIOS version came shipped with the board? Try moving the rams to slots A1 and B1.

I have ordered another processor (Ryzen 5 1600 AF, cheap but compatible) and of I get the same result, then the MoBo is probably bad. If the new CPU works, I RMA the old 5950x. That is how I intend to find out which is causing the issue. I don't really want to take apart the other system as it is in use. BIOS is probably not the issue as the machine posted fine initially and was working. I flashed the latest BIOS (F34). Later one also tried F33 but same thing.

I have not played around with RAM as there is no indication that they are causing the issue.