System Temps too high?

Siriuxx

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014
I started having this issue where my computer would shut down during csgo competitive play. Never did it during any other gameplay in csgo, ONLY comp. I can run GTAV for hours on end without issue, so i figured it wasnt a power or temp issue. When playing my core temps are around 70-73. Its still a little hot, but not too bad. Ive been told a few times that csgo puts a decent amount of stress on the CPU.

I know most people say that your CPU should idle around 35. Noticing mine was around 55 I decided to clean and replace the thermal paste. I booted up and immediately loaded up hardware monitor. This was the result.

https://postimg.org/image/qy320so63/

After being off for hours, I boot up and within 2 minutes the cpu is in the mid to high 50s. But ok, maybe its hardware monitor. So I tried MSI afterburner, and coretemp. All 3 show the same temps.

The case seems pretty cool, all the fans are working and despite using a stock heatsink, I havent had an issue with temps. I honestly havent monitored temps in quite some time, as I dont overclock and never really needed to. But I seem to recall the cpu always being a bit higher idling than normal, but not this much.

Wondering what I should do here. The heat sink is tightly secured and I know the paste is fine.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
If that is the older intel heatsink with no copper slug in the center, they were pretty terrible.

You can try turning up the CPU fan speed in the BIOS, it might be set up for silence if it gets that hot on idle. Your load temps are nothingg to worry about but I wouldn't want my CPU iding in the upper 50s.

Is it always under a small amount of load like that 5-10%?

Siriuxx

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014
No it has the copper core. And no I was loading something when i took the screenshot, thats why the load is up. Idles normally. What speed do you think would be good for the fan? I was thinking about getting a cooler, but Im going to do a new build in the near future and dont really want to spend the money on a cooler when Im going to do liquid on the new one. Unless I can get something good real cheap, Id rather not waste the money.

If your case has decent intake airflow, I really think you should be seeing more like 10-15c. over ambient at idle.

It sounds like you are using the intel stock cooler.
It can be tricky to install.
----------------how to mount the stock Intel cooler--------------

The stock Intel cooler can be tricky to install.
A poor installation will result in higher cpu temperatures.
If properly mounted, you should expect temperatures at idle to be 10-15c. over ambient.

To mount the Intel stock cooler properly, place the motherboard on top of the foam or cardboard backing that was packed with the motherboard.
The stock cooler will come with paste pre applied, it looks like three grey strips.
The 4 push pins should come in the proper position for installation, that is with the pins rotated in the opposite direction of the arrow,(clockwise)
and pulled up as far as they can go.
Take the time to play with the pushpin mechanism until you know how they work.

Orient the 4 pins so that they are exactly over the motherboard holes.
If one is out of place, you will damage the pins which are delicate.
Push down on a DIAGONAL pair of pins at the same time. Then the other pair.

When you push down on the top black pins, it expands the white plastic pins to fix the cooler in place.

If you do them one at a time, you will not get the cooler on straight.
Lastly, look at the back of the motherboard to verify that all 4 pins are equally through the motherboard, and that the cooler is on firmly.
This last step must be done, which is why the motherboard should be out of the case to do the job. Or you need a case with a opening that lets you see the pins.
It is possible to mount the cooler with the motherboard mounted in the case, but you can then never be certain that the push pins are inserted properly
unless you can verify that the pins are through the motherboard and locked.

If you should need to remove the cooler, turn the pins counter clockwise to unlock them.
You will need to clean off the old paste and reapply new if you ever take the cooler off.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is my stock answer on how to do that.
Give it a try again.

In particular pay attention to pressing down on DIAGONAL pairs of pushpins.

Do not use too much paste or it will act as an insulator.
A small rice sized drop will spread out under heat and pressure.
It is hard to use too little.

Ultimately, not to worry.
The chip will slow down or turn itself off if it senses a dangerous temperature.
That is around 100c.

Siriuxx

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014
Decided to take your advice to remount the heat sink. The one I installed was factory new with the pre applied paste. I had one laying around and figured I might as well try a new one. When I took it off, the pre applied paste was still in the exact same pattern as it came from the factory. I know the heat sink was on tight, but even after being on for a few hours shouldn't it have spread out?

Siriuxx

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014
Took your advice, remounted the heat sink and now im idling around 30.
After a few hours of game play, my max is 80. I know a lot of people say you shouldnt really exceed mid 70s, but im thinking this should be fine.