Build Advice System Upgrade Advice

Feb 9, 2024
Hello all!
My name knox, new here at tomhardware.com. Im here asking for advice/suggestion for upgrading the motherboard and RAM on my current build which is:
  • CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X3D (new bought from August 2023)
  • GPU: PowerColor Radeon RX 6700 XT HELLHOUND 12GB (new bought from August 2023)
  • RAM: KLEVV DDR4 BOLT X Series 3200MHz 32gb(4x8) (additional note: double dual channel)
  • Mobo: MSI B450 A-PRO (i think i bought it from 2019)
  • Storage: Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB
  • Air Cooler: DeepCool AK620
  • PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus 850 Platinum (bought it from 2018)
  • Monitors: MSI Optix G243, Samsung S24R350, Some SONY Monitor/TV 20Inch
  • PC Case: CoolerMaster CM 690 III (Bought it since 2014 from my first pc built)
Approximate Purchase Date: 23-29 February 2024

Budget Range: 500$ ~ After Shipping

System Usage from Most to Least Important: MMO Gaming, Multitasking Work (multiple monitors), surfing the internet

Are you buying a monitor: Yes (changing my 1 old Sony monitor to either 27inch 144hz or 24inch 240hz to become my main monitor)

Parts to Upgrade: Motherboard, RAM, 1 Monitor and PC Case

Parts Preferences: MSI/Asrock (motherboard), Corsair/Gskill/Anything if available (Memory RAM)

Your Monitor Resolution: 1080p 165Hz, Planning to get 27inch or 1440p 144hz Monitor

Why Are You Upgrading:
  1. For the Motherboard, I want to use all my NVMe/SATA Slot on my motherboard for future use but as right now with my current motherboard, it wont let me add more storage slots. Because that B450 motherboard after installing one NVMe slot, it will disabled my SATA 5 & 6 port which is i want to use it and don't want to be disabled.
  2. For the memory, im still considering if i should change to 1 dual kit memory ram (which is changes to 3600Mhz 2x16 kit) or keep my memory ram as is (no upgrades, any suggestion/advice much appreciated!).
  3. For the case, i prefer not having RGB because i want it keep 1 light/color only and not keep changing colors (made me a headache) and i put my PC on the ground so it's kinda useless if not seeing the inside of my PC and have easily accessible for changing/managing cables (like LIAN LI - LANCOOL II MESH PERFOMANCE).

Additional Comments: Before i want to make this thread, i'm planning to upgrade/change my current Motherboard to MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus but still not confident enough if i made the right/good choice for that, should i go to x570 chipset or b550 is enough? and for the memory, i just checked that i can use A-XMP for my memory kit to 3200Mhz speed but some people says better to use 1 dual channel kit rather than use double dual channel kit which im currently using it now (yes i bought them separately for my rams and want to pump it up to 32gb thus having double dual kit).

All advice much appreciated and many thanks in advance!!

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Yes you're on the right path on picking up a B550 chipset motherboard. To take advantage of the platform(CPU+motherboard combo) you're advised to go with tight timings DDR432600Mhz rams. But You should benefit most with a 2x kit instead of 4x layout.

More sticks of ram adds stress on the integrated memory controller.

You could look into Fractal Design's cases. A case/motherboard swap could also mean you going with an matx loadout.

Reactions: knoxt and Lucky_SLS
something like this maybe?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor (Purchased For $0.00)
Motherboard: ASRock X570 Steel Legend WiFi ax ATX AM4 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($63.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Montech AIR 903 MAX ATX Mid Tower Case ($75.00 @ Amazon)
Monitor: HP OMEN 27q 27.0" 2560 x 1440 165 Hz Monitor ($227.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $506.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-02-09 08:55 EST-0500

Reactions: knoxt
Why Are You Upgrading:
1. For the Motherboard, I want to use all my NVMe/SATA Slot on my motherboard for future use but as right now with my current motherboard, it wont let me add more storage slots. Because that B450 motherboard after installing one NVMe slot, it will disabled my SATA 5 & 6 port which is i want to use it and don't want to be disabled.
But you have only a single NVME drive. Why do you need 6 sata ports?
Anyway - if you need more SATA ports, you can install a PCIE SATA controller card.

71Y+IVPRK1L._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

3. For the case, i prefer not having RGB because i want it keep 1 light/color only and not keep changing colors (made me a headache) and i put my PC on the ground so it's kinda useless if not seeing the inside of my PC and have easily accessible for changing/managing cables
CoolerMaster CM 690 III - doesn't have any RGB in it. It doesn't have a window either.
Even if you installed RGB fans in there, can't you configure them as desired?
Set to single color or turn off completely?

TLDR - Your reasons for upgrading do not require change of motherboard nor ram.
May be get a PCIE SATA controller instead, when you actually run out of SATA ports.

Reactions: knoxt and geofelt
Feb 9, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Yes you're on the right path on picking up a B550 chipset motherboard. To take advantage of the platform(CPU+motherboard combo) you're advised to go with tight timings DDR432600Mhz rams. But You should benefit most with a 2x kit instead of 4x layout.

More sticks of ram adds stress on the integrated memory controller.

You could look into Fractal Design's cases. A case/motherboard swap could also mean you going with an matx loadout.
okay good to know that choosing B550 is okay and noted for that memory ram part. i will look up fractal cases, thanks!
something like this maybe?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor (Purchased For $0.00)
Motherboard: ASRock X570 Steel Legend WiFi ax ATX AM4 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($63.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Montech AIR 903 MAX ATX Mid Tower Case ($75.00 @ Amazon)
Monitor: HP OMEN 27q 27.0" 2560 x 1440 165 Hz Monitor ($227.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $506.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-02-09 08:55 EST-0500
nice suggestion, but a quick question, Dont you think we should picked the motherboard that has flash bios at this current stage/era? and about the memory ram, do i need to be concerned that need CL16 version? or that's a bit to much now and can be ignored? thank you!!

But you have only a single NVME drive. Why do you need 6 sata ports?
Anyway - if you need more SATA ports, you can install a PCIE SATA controller card.
Okay that's my bad on my part forgetting to add another nvme drives in the first post on the parts to upgrades and not explaining even further the reasons for it haha. Yes as right now i only have 1 NVMe drive but i wanted to add 1 more NVMe Drive in that later date, and as right now i've completely used all the ports for all kind of storages (SATA 1-4) and still kinda to want add more fast drive either getting a SSD SATA or NVMe Drive.

Oh you're totally right for getting sata ports expansion, didn't think of that solution. Should i picked NVMe expansion slots or sata slots? because on my b450 motherboard has 1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 slot and 4 x PCIe 2.0 x1 slots.

CoolerMaster CM 690 III - doesn't have any RGB in it. It doesn't have a window either.
Even if you installed RGB fans in there, can't you configure them as desired?
Set to single color or turn off completely?
The one that i currently have, has window on the left panel and have some separately bought some cheap RGB fan that cannot be configured, sadge and that was long time ago when i kinda urgent need a fan for it lol. Maybe i will lookup/getting for a different fan instead (?)

TLDR - Your reasons for upgrading do not require change of motherboard nor ram.
Another reason that is, should i be concerned about getting a PCIe 4.0 for my current CPU & GPU? because B450 only support up to PCIe 3.0 x16. Is there a significant different when using PCIe 4.0 and PCIe 3.0 x16?