[SOLVED] System Upgrade Piecemeal Recommendation

Matttt

Honorable
Oct 20, 2014
Hello! Hope you all are doing well. With your help, about 5 years ago, I built my first PC! I've upgraded it piecemeal over the years, but I'm at a point where I'd like to do a bit more of a substantial upgrade to it. I have a feeling the processor and motherboard are due for an upgrade, but I thought I'd list out the rest of the system to identify any other key areas of improvement. At the moment, I use the computer for work (office suite, video calls), relatively intense audio recording, some internet gaming, and an infrequently used Oculus Rift S. The biggest problem I am having at the moment is a bluescreen crash that seems to be related to the video card, as well as GPU intense VST's in recording software. This happens randomly, like when turning on/off a periphery device, or shutting down software. I suspect this is due to the age of the MOBO, but unsure! Had the Windows hard drive crash recently too, but I suspect it was just a hard drive failure. If there's any other info you need from me to recommend pieces to upgrade, please let me know!

CPU: AMD FX6300 3.5 GHz 6-Core Processor.
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM
Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard
Memory: 2x Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB DDR3-1600 CL10 Memory
GPU: AMD Radeon Rx590 Fatboy Core Edition 8GB OC+
Powder: Corsair CX Series 550 Watt 80 Plus Bronze
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite ATX Mid Tower Case
HD1: Kingston 120GB SSD - used for Windows 10
HD2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD - used for programs
HD3: WD 1TB HD - used for data storage
PCI-e to USB 3.0 (4 port) PCI Express Card, Inateck KT4001

The PCI-e was needed for the Oculus rift to work, the ASUS mobo didn't seem to supply enough power to make it work. Most recently upgraded are the graphics card and the power supply.

I know it's a pretty open ended question, but I'd love for some opinions!

Edit: I should add, it was a budget friendly build in 2015, and I'd like to continue pinching pennies as much as possible. 😜

Last edited:
Solution
Hello! Hope you all are doing well. With your help, about 5 years ago, I built my first PC! I've upgraded it piecemeal over the years, but I'm at a point where I'd like to do a bit more of a substantial upgrade to it. I have a feeling the processor and motherboard are due for an upgrade, but I thought I'd list out the rest of the system to identify any other key areas of improvement. At the moment, I use the computer for work (office suite, video calls), relatively intense audio recording, some internet gaming, and an infrequently used Oculus Rift S. The biggest problem I am having at the moment is a bluescreen crash that seems to be related to the video card, as well as GPU intense VST's in recording software. This happens...
Hello! Hope you all are doing well. With your help, about 5 years ago, I built my first PC! I've upgraded it piecemeal over the years, but I'm at a point where I'd like to do a bit more of a substantial upgrade to it. I have a feeling the processor and motherboard are due for an upgrade, but I thought I'd list out the rest of the system to identify any other key areas of improvement. At the moment, I use the computer for work (office suite, video calls), relatively intense audio recording, some internet gaming, and an infrequently used Oculus Rift S. The biggest problem I am having at the moment is a bluescreen crash that seems to be related to the video card, as well as GPU intense VST's in recording software. This happens randomly, like when turning on/off a periphery device, or shutting down software. I suspect this is due to the age of the MOBO, but unsure! Had the Windows hard drive crash recently too, but I suspect it was just a hard drive failure. If there's any other info you need from me to recommend pieces to upgrade, please let me know!

CPU: AMD FX6300 3.5 GHz 6-Core Processor.
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM
Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard
Memory: 2x Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB DDR3-1600 CL10 Memory
GPU: AMD Radeon Rx590 Fatboy Core Edition 8GB OC+
Powder: Corsair CX Series 550 Watt 80 Plus Bronze
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite ATX Mid Tower Case
HD1: Kingston 120GB SSD - used for Windows 10
HD2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD - used for programs
HD3: WD 1TB HD - used for data storage
PCI-e to USB 3.0 (4 port) PCI Express Card, Inateck KT4001

The PCI-e was needed for the Oculus rift to work, the ASUS mobo didn't seem to supply enough power to make it work. Most recently upgraded are the graphics card and the power supply.

I know it's a pretty open ended question, but I'd love for some opinions!

Edit: I should add, it was a budget friendly build in 2015, and I'd like to continue pinching pennies as much as possible. 😜
I'm afraid piecemeal upgrade is not feasible, there's practically nothing you can put in that MB to make it any better or good enough.
Minimal upgrade would be new MB+CPU+RAM. Any system today would be at least 2-4 times faster.
Your problem may stem from inadequate PSU so you may try with that first. 650-750W minimum.

Solution

Matttt

Honorable
Oct 20, 2014
Hello and thanks for the reply!

Do you have any suggestions what components to upgrade to? I was looking at an AMD Rayzen 5 3600 with an ASRock B450M Pro4 Mobo and 8-16GB of RAM.

PCParts is unsure about the combination of a lot of those parts with the case and the mobo bios. It also estimates 390W, less than my current build, so I'm hoping the 550W psu can handle it!