[SOLVED] System will display on Microsoft Basic Display Adapter but NOT Intel 520 Graphics.

pft

Jan 22, 2021
Hey guys,

Here's a weird one.. to me at least.

When i boot up my laptop (Dell XPS 13 9350, Win 10) the screen will go black with the backlight on when it loads into windows. If I plug in an external monitor it will display on that with no problems.

If I uninstall the Intel 520 graphics driver through the device manager and then restart it, then it works and displays windows on the laptop screen with no problems.

At least until it re-installs the intel driver (which I cant seem to stop!) after 1 minute or 1 hour... you never know and then we are back to no image on the laptop screen. I then need to plug in the external, uninstall the graphics driver and restart again.

Installing old intel display drivers rather than the current one doesnt seem to make any difference.

Help!

Cheers

Paul

Solution
do you have latest bios & chipset drivers??

it seems you not alone - https://www.dell.com/community/Lapt...HD-Iris-540-Graphics-Card/td-p/5100113/page/2

try taking off the battery connector for few minutes and putting it back in.
As discussed on another forum, this problem was fixed for me by removing the battery and power, holding the power button down for a few minutes, and then reinstalling the battery. Worked great for about a week, but now it's happening again. This definitely points to a hardware issue of some sort (someone theorized a static buildup that needs to be discharged).

Its a problem with something on the device.

Abhinav2005

Reputable
Jan 1, 2020
You can disable automatic driver installation by the following steps:-
  1. Right click the Start button and select Control Panel.
  2. Make your way to System and Security.
  3. Click System.
  4. Click Advanced system settings from the left sidebar.
  5. Select the Hardware tab.
  6. Press the Device Installation Settings button.
  7. Choose No, and then press the Save Changes button.
Hope it helps!

pft

Jan 22, 2021
You can disable automatic driver installation by the following steps:-
  1. Right click the Start button and select Control Panel.
  2. Make your way to System and Security.
  3. Click System.
  4. Click Advanced system settings from the left sidebar.
  5. Select the Hardware tab.
  6. Press the Device Installation Settings button.
  7. Choose No, and then press the Save Changes button.
Hope it helps!

Hi Abhinav thanks for the advice!

I have done as you suggested but it seems to reinstall the driver anyway...

I have managed to make it stay on by hitting disable rather than uninstall.

Ideally I would like to use the intel driver as I cant control screen brightness or resolution etc with just the native windows driver.

Any clue why this might be happening?!

Colif

Win 11 Master
do you have latest bios & chipset drivers??

it seems you not alone - https://www.dell.com/community/Lapt...HD-Iris-540-Graphics-Card/td-p/5100113/page/2

try taking off the battery connector for few minutes and putting it back in.
As discussed on another forum, this problem was fixed for me by removing the battery and power, holding the power button down for a few minutes, and then reinstalling the battery. Worked great for about a week, but now it's happening again. This definitely points to a hardware issue of some sort (someone theorized a static buildup that needs to be discharged).

Its a problem with something on the device.

Solution