[SOLVED] System won't post on XMP after bios update

Sep 5, 2019
I have a 3600mhz 32gb gskill cl18 kit and it was runing fine on xmp with the older bios but now that i have updated it it won't boot, if i turn off the xmp the pc works fine, the weird thing is that i know that is known issue that some PCs wont boot on XMP, but this is different since i know i have a fully functional kit that didn't have any issues until the bios update. I set everything as it was before. another thing to note, i try increasing timings and increasing the voltage (I set XMP manually with higher timings an voltage for better stability) to discard stability related issues but still would not boot. After all that i try booting on 3400mhz and it did, then i try booting on 3700mhz and at least it post the splash screen then it froze. but at 3600mhz it just won't do anything and then the bios would detect a boot failure. im so confused on what could that be, Is there any settings i could try?

Solution
Test your ram at stock speeds to verify that it has no defects.
Run memtest86.
It boots from a usb stick and does not use windows.
You can download the free edition here:
https://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.
XMP is a set of settings that will overclock the ram to run at higher than stock speeds.
Normally, that is the easiest way to do it.

If you have high overclocks on your 9700K there may be an interaction with max ram speed.
Sep 5, 2019
I was experiencing very specific stutters in some games wich made my check for any updates for the bios and i was 2 updates behind, that made me want to do it. I have i7 9700k With a Gigabyte z390UD Mobo.

Test your ram at stock speeds to verify that it has no defects.
Run memtest86.
It boots from a usb stick and does not use windows.
You can download the free edition here:
https://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.
XMP is a set of settings that will overclock the ram to run at higher than stock speeds.
Normally, that is the easiest way to do it.

If you have high overclocks on your 9700K there may be an interaction with max ram speed.

Solution