Question System won't power on after replacing parts

dannywil325

Prominent
Dec 30, 2019
So I've just replaced my motherboard with a B450M Pro4 ASRock, as well as a new Ryzen 5 2600x cpu and 2 8gb ddr4 sticks. I've placed in my motherboard and everything's is connected in, but my system won't power on at all. No fans, no noise, no LEDs, no beeps, nothing. my power supply is 850W so it should be enough for everything.
Any ideas or tips?

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

============

Absolutely no power at all: no lights, no fans spinning (or trying to spin). Correct?

Any beep codes or troubleshooting LEDs?

Check the power connections from outlet to PSU. Especially if you have any interim surge protectors or a USP.

Some have small circuit breakers that can easily trip when bumped or there is some electrical surge.

Power off, unplug, and open the case.

Double check by sight and feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Also reference the motherboard's User Manual to double check all installation steps and settings. Do the same for all other components as well.

Read the fine print, the notes, and go to the manufacturer's website for current information as is often suggested.

Hopefully, the problem is just some oversight or loose connection.

dannywil325

Prominent
Dec 30, 2019
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

============

Absolutely no power at all: no lights, no fans spinning (or trying to spin). Correct?

Any beep codes or troubleshooting LEDs?

Check the power connections from outlet to PSU. Especially if you have any interim surge protectors or a USP.

Some have small circuit breakers that can easily trip when bumped or there is some electrical surge.

Power off, unplug, and open the case.

Double check by sight and feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Also reference the motherboard's User Manual to double check all installation steps and settings. Do the same for all other components as well.

Read the fine print, the notes, and go to the manufacturer's website for current information as is often suggested.

Hopefully, the problem is just some oversight or loose connection.
There no power at all, and nothing happens at all once plugged in. I have reseated everything as well. I have learnt that it might be something to do with the front panel connector, as my old motherboard had a 13 pin one but this new one has a 9 pin. Does this mean I need to buy one online?

dannywil325

Prominent
Dec 30, 2019
Does the following link present the User Manual for your new motherboard?

https://download.asrock.com/Manual/B450M Pro4.pdf

[Do verify that I found the correct User Manual.]

And the Front panel connector (System Panel Header ) in question is shown in Section 2.6, physically numbered page 27.

Also reference Page 7, Item 13.

How did you configure the System Panel Header?
That is the correct manual. What I've done so far is I managed to plug in my 13 pin one from my old motherboard into that front panel. I'm not entirely sure about configuration as, like mentioned, it's a 13 pin, not individual ones.

Only thing I think would help is which wires from the pins are there?
(Going from left to right)
Top row: 5
Bottom row: 2,4,5,6,7.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
What case/chassis do you have?

What you need is a pin-out diagram for that 13 pin connector.

Here is a link from within this Forum that may prove helpful:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/front-panel-connectors.3126213/

NOTE: That is not a solution so do not start unplugging or re-plugging in any connectors. The wrong connection(s) could damage the motherboard.

And to be honest I am surprised that you managed to plug in the 13 pin connector at all. I would unplug it immediately.

Hopefully no damage has been done.

There should be some available 13 pin to 9 pin front panel adapter that will match the pins correctly,

I am going to move your post from Systems over to Cases. Hopefully that move will garner attention from someone who has dealt with a similar problem.

Again do not just start making connections until there is some certainty about the pin connections and/or an adapter to make the connections.

dannywil325

Prominent
Dec 30, 2019
What case/chassis do you have?

What you need is a pin-out diagram for that 13 pin connector.

Here is a link from within this Forum that may prove helpful:

NOTE: That is not a solution so do not start unplugging or re-plugging in any connectors. The wrong connection(s) could damage the motherboard.

And to be honest I am surprised that you managed to plug in the 13 pin connector at all. I would unplug it immediately.

Hopefully no damage has been done.

There should be some available 13 pin to 9 pin front panel adapter that will match the pins correctly,

I am going to move your post from Systems over to Cases. Hopefully that move will garner attention from someone who has dealt with a similar problem.

Again do not just start making connections until there is some certainty about the pin connections and/or an adapter to make the connections.
The case I have is the ACER Aspire T3-710.

So I understand now I do need a new connector or adapter, but I can't find any on amazon. Do you or anyone have any links or websites I can search on?

dannywil325

Prominent
Dec 30, 2019
Kinda hard for anyone to give any help
IF the Op Won't list the Full Specs of his system.
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
MSI GeForce GTX 1660 6GB
Patriot Viper 4 16GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16
Acer Aspire T3-710 case

Anything else? Not sure what else I know to include.

Ralston18

Titan
This is /was your computer (Acer Aspire T3-710):

At least with respect to the case,,,,

https://icecat.biz/en/p/acer/dt.b1hef.007/aspire-pcs-workstations-4713392244094-t3-710-29531013.html

And you removed the original motherboard and installed the B450M Pro motherboard.

Yes: You will need an adapter of some sort to change the original 13 pin case to motherboard connector to a 9 pin connector of some sort . Again case to motherboard with respect to the front panel connector.

I likewise did some googling and did not note any adapters that I felt would be applicable and/or safe to use. The concern being some mismatch in pins and voltage even though it all should be standardized.

You will need to take the original 13 pin plug and map out each pin with respect to pin number, function, and voltage.

Then do the same for the 9 pin connector. Pins that match are the pins that need to be connected either direct (if possible) or via some adapter as is the question/problem at hand.

Big picture (literally) is that you end up with a diagram something similar to what shown in the following link:

https://linustechtips.com/topic/1211609-motherboard-front-panel-connector/

Read the link carefully and do note the reference to the B450 motherboard as well.

The link shows an adapter that may be applicable for you.

Google "10-1 System Panel Adapter": I found the following link along with other similar links.

https://www.moddiy.com/products/Asu...tor-10-Pin-System-Panel-Connector-20-Pin.html

Do double check everything to verify that that adapter or similar ones are a match to meet the required connectivity.

Should be standard and fall right into place. However, no harm in being very sure.

I will assume you are using the power supply fron the Acer.
To me it seems easier to purchase a psu and case, then to try and find an adapter that may or may not exist.
Atleast then it's standardized cabling and have better cooling options depending on what case is purchased.

dannywil325

Prominent
Dec 30, 2019
I will assume you are using the power supply fron the Acer.
To me it seems easier to purchase a psu and case, then to try and find an adapter that may or may not exist.
Atleast then it's standardized cabling and have better cooling options depending on what case is purchased.
My bad, that one I forgot to mention. I have a different power supply. It's 850w

dannywil325

Prominent
Dec 30, 2019
This is /was your computer (Acer Aspire T3-710):

At least with respect to the case,,,,

https://icecat.biz/en/p/acer/dt.b1hef.007/aspire-pcs-workstations-4713392244094-t3-710-29531013.html

And you removed the original motherboard and installed the B450M Pro motherboard.

Yes: You will need an adapter of some sort to change the original 13 pin case to motherboard connector to a 9 pin connector of some sort . Again case to motherboard with respect to the front panel connector.

I likewise did some googling and did not note any adapters that I felt would be applicable and/or safe to use. The concern being some mismatch in pins and voltage even though it all should be standardized.

You will need to take the original 13 pin plug and map out each pin with respect to pin number, function, and voltage.

Then do the same for the 9 pin connector. Pins that match are the pins that need to be connected either direct (if possible) or via some adapter as is the question/problem at hand.

Big picture (literally) is that you end up with a diagram something similar to what shown in the following link:

https://linustechtips.com/topic/1211609-motherboard-front-panel-connector/

Read the link carefully and do note the reference to the B450 motherboard as well.

The link shows an adapter that may be applicable for you.

Google "10-1 System Panel Adapter": I found the following link along with other similar links.

https://www.moddiy.com/products/Asu...tor-10-Pin-System-Panel-Connector-20-Pin.html

Do double check everything to verify that that adapter or similar ones are a match to meet the required connectivity.

Should be standard and fall right into place. However, no harm in being very sure.
Okay, I believe I understand Now. I definitely need an adapter for my 13 pin to a 9 pin. I just have 2 more questions.

1 - The 13 pin one that you sent does not match the one that I have. Even when I type it up, all I can see is what it looks like on the board, not the actual connector. Either way, it looks like this, and if possible, what u be able to help with other links to buy this adapter from, such as earlier.

2 - I see also that most of them also get plugged into the PLED slot, which mine is next to the front panel slot. Do I also need another cable for that? Or do I buy one which slots into both?

Ralston18

Titan
That is why you need to sketch out the plug labels, voltage references, and pins/genders.

Your 13 pin connector is probably a 2 x 10 connector that used 13 pins to connect the system panel to the original motherboard's corresponding 2 x 10 socket.

Now you have a motherboard socket that is actually a 2 x 5 connector and you must now match the system panel connections to the 2 x 5 connector.

Note: that the adapter link I provided has three key points:

1) Short but not too helpful video.

2) A link to a cable harness

https://www.moddiy.com/products/Power-Reset-SW-Power-HDD-LED-10-Pin-Internal-Motherboard-Cable.html

Note the cable harness connector JFP1 pin out diagram.

3) A disclaimer:

"Disclaimer: The labels of the front panel cables may differ from chassis made by different manufactures. Refer to your motherboard specification for compatibility. "

Point being that you need to map out the pins and connection very carefully and determine what adapter and/or cables result in an exact match.

Question: did you include a link or links in your previous post?

If so, the links did not come through.

Are you able to take a couple photographs showing plugs and sockets? Try to capture what is printed on the the board and connectors. Keep the photographs a focused as possible and free of glare/reflections.

Post via imgur.

How to post images in TomsHardware (guide) | Tom's Hardware Forum

dannywil325

Prominent
Dec 30, 2019
That is why you need to sketch out the plug labels, voltage references, and pins/genders.

Your 13 pin connector is probably a 2 x 10 connector that used 13 pins to connect the system panel to the original motherboard's corresponding 2 x 10 socket.

Now you have a motherboard socket that is actually a 2 x 5 connector and you must now match the system panel connections to the 2 x 5 connector.

Note: that the adapter link I provided has three key points:

1) Short but not too helpful video.

2) A link to a cable harness

https://www.moddiy.com/products/Power-Reset-SW-Power-HDD-LED-10-Pin-Internal-Motherboard-Cable.html

Note the cable harness connector JFP1 pin out diagram.

3) A disclaimer:

"Disclaimer: The labels of the front panel cables may differ from chassis made by different manufactures. Refer to your motherboard specification for compatibility. "

Point being that you need to map out the pins and connection very carefully and determine what adapter and/or cables result in an exact match.

Question: did you include a link or links in your previous post?

If so, the links did not come through.

Are you able to take a couple photographs showing plugs and sockets? Try to capture what is printed on the the board and connectors. Keep the photographs a focused as possible and free of glare/reflections.

Post via imgur.

How to post images in TomsHardware (guide) | Tom's Hardware Forum
View: https://imgur.com/KOKwwUt

View: https://imgur.com/c2OFFHw

View: https://imgur.com/0GoS7WS

Those are the links to the connector I have. 2 x 7, which is how as I mentioned yesterday, was able to fit into the 2 x 5 as well.

Ralston18

Titan
Let us use the motherboard labeling.....

If I understand correctly you connected the photographed connector to Panel1 (Item 13 on Page 7 and Page 8). So just one end was just left hanging over one end or the other of Panel1

Where do the blue, green, red, and white wires trace back to on the case front panel: power switch, reset switch, HDD activity LED, power on LED?

Go back to Page 7 and center up on motherboard layout.

Zoom in until you can see and clearly read the labeling and the pin pairings. ( I needed 570%)

Those pins and pairings must be mapped back to the connector shown in your images.

And may indeed require a Q-connector and/or an applicable cable harness as shown in the product link with the JFP1.

dannywil325

Prominent
Dec 30, 2019
Let us use the motherboard labeling.....

If I understand correctly you connected the photographed connector to Panel1 (Item 13 on Page 7 and Page 8). So just one end was just left hanging over one end or the other of Panel1

Where do the blue, green, red, and white wires trace back to on the case front panel: power switch, reset switch, HDD activity LED, power on LED?

Go back to Page 7 and center up on motherboard layout.

Zoom in until you can see and clearly read the labeling and the pin pairings. ( I needed 570%)

Those pins and pairings must be mapped back to the connector shown in your images.

And may indeed require a Q-connector and/or an applicable cable harness as shown in the product link with the JFP1.
Following from the manual,

Green - PLED+
White 1 - PLED-
Blue - PWRBTN
White 2 - GND
Red is not slotted in
Bottom white - GND

Ralston18

Titan
Now look at the wiring harness link and the pin designations shown in JFP1

Pay attention to the descriptive labeling on connectors, The Q connectors, and the motherboard headers.

They must all be properly matched from case front panel to motherboard header PANEL1

PLED --> Power LED
PWRBTN --> Power Button

Power LED (your Green PLED + and White 1 PLED -) would be pins 2 and 4 on PANEL1

Power switch ( your Blue PWRBTN and White 2) would be pins 6 and 8 on PANEL1

And the red wire and another white wire are just "hanging somewhere".

Does the existing case have a HDD activity LED l ( HDDLED PANEL,1 pins 1 and 3) or a reset button/switch (RESET# pins 5 and 7 on PANEL1).

Those connections must also be accounted for and properly connected.

Do not make any connections based on the above.

Go back to this link:

Note the following:

"The front panel headers (pin-definitions) on motherboards DIFFER GREATLY from model-to-model and can look like any of these: "

Your new motherboard's PANEL1 header is identical to F_PANEL1 in the immediate preceding link.

You absolutely must map out (draw, sketch) the wire and pin connections from case to motherboard going through each cable harness and adapter.

dannywil325

Prominent
Dec 30, 2019
Now look at the wiring harness link and the pin designations shown in JFP1

Pay attention to the descriptive labeling on connectors, The Q connectors, and the motherboard headers.

They must all be properly matched from case front panel to motherboard header PANEL1

PLED --> Power LED
PWRBTN --> Power Button

Power LED (your Green PLED + and White 1 PLED -) would be pins 2 and 4 on PANEL1

Power switch ( your Blue PWRBTN and White 2) would be pins 6 and 8 on PANEL1

And the red wire and another white wire are just "hanging somewhere".

Does the existing case have a HDD activity LED l ( HDDLED PANEL,1 pins 1 and 3) or a reset button/switch (RESET# pins 5 and 7 on PANEL1).

Those connections must also be accounted for and properly connected.

Do not make any connections based on the above.

Go back to this link:

Note the following:

"The front panel headers (pin-definitions) on motherboards DIFFER GREATLY from model-to-model and can look like any of these: "

Your new motherboard's PANEL1 header is identical to F_PANEL1 in the immediate preceding link.

You absolutely must map out (draw, sketch) the wire and pin connections from case to motherboard going through each cable harness and adapter.
My case doesn't have a reset button, but I'm not entirely sure what the HDD LED one is even by searching. But going based off what it is, my harddrive doesn't have and LED's so I'd say no?

So if that's the case, does that mean I only need to find an adapter which follows the wires to 2, 4, 6, and 8? and 9 depending on what reserved means for it.

Wait, so unless needing the 9 pin, then technically, shouldn't it necessarily work as my pins cover those pins as well? Or does it depend on which specific wires go into which pin?

It's difficult to say as on the forum link you shared, it doesn't share my specific front panel connection I have on mine, but it should follow the exact same, just another 4 pins after it?

Ralston18

Titan
The HDD LED is a small light on the front of of the case that will flicker when there is hard drive activity.

There are likely a number of adapters to be found. And you would hope that they all would be standard.

However, as noted in the one link, there are differences ( "DIFFER GREATLY" ) which mandates that you must carefully match the connection path (cables, adapters, etc.) from the case panel to the motherboard's PANEL1.

Specific wires do need to go to specific pins. A mismatch: best case nothing happens. Worst case - a spark, a pop and a puff of smoke.....

With the posted problem being that the system will not power on that shows that the current connection path is not correct.

So look again at how the pins are matched (actually mis-matched) in order to help decipher how the pins should be matched.

And again, how did you get the connector connected to the motherboard's PANEL1 header? Which end of the connector did you leave "hanging over"( if that is indeed what you did)?

Another suggestion: Go to the various links above and print out (either directly or by screenshots) the pin diagrams for the headers, connectors, cables, and adapters.

PANEL1 to start with.

Use the print outs and colored pencils (matched to wire colors) to draw out the connection paths. Just to help keep the connections/connection path clear and understandable.

Not sure what else to suggest.

dannywil325

Prominent
Dec 30, 2019
The HDD LED is a small light on the front of of the case that will flicker when there is hard drive activity.

There are likely a number of adapters to be found. And you would hope that they all would be standard.

However, as noted in the one link, there are differences ( "DIFFER GREATLY" ) which mandates that you must carefully match the connection path (cables, adapters, etc.) from the case panel to the motherboard's PANEL1.

Specific wires do need to go to specific pins. A mismatch: best case nothing happens. Worst case - a spark, a pop and a puff of smoke.....

With the posted problem being that the system will not power on that shows that the current connection path is not correct.

So look again at how the pins are matched (actually mis-matched) in order to help decipher how the pins should be matched.

And again, how did you get the connector connected to the motherboard's PANEL1 header? Which end of the connector did you leave "hanging over"( if that is indeed what you did)?

Another suggestion: Go to the various links above and print out (either directly or by screenshots) the pin diagrams for the headers, connectors, cables, and adapters.

PANEL1 to start with.

Use the print outs and colored pencils (matched to wire colors) to draw out the connection paths. Just to help keep the connections/connection path clear and understandable.

Then no, my case doesn't have a HDD LED, or at least it doesn't flicker. The only LED on the front of my case is the actual acer logo.

And about which side was "hanging over", by looking at the first 2 images, it would be the right side with the one red wire to the side, and only the 2x2 at the end was off.

Also, I'm not sure if it was exactly what you meant, but I've looked at the forum and matched the coloured wires on the top of the post to what I have. The only difference to what I have would be the PWRBTN and GND next to it, corresponds to the RESET SW on that forum.

dannywil325

Prominent
Dec 30, 2019

PANEL1 to start with.

Also, I've been looking around and I'm not sure it would work as the wires on my 13 pin are somewhat weird, but the harness you linked, say I attached my 13 pin to that, would it then? Or does the wires have to connect to each specific one for power?

Ralston18

Titan
The HDD light not flickering could mean that it is not correctly connected or perhaps the light has burned out/failed.

What connection (pins, cables, etc.) provide power to the ACER logo?

The wires must be specifically connected.

Although you may be able to just physically plug things (connectors, cables/harness, adapters) together that does not necessarily mean that the computer will start.

It is the logical connectivity that really matters. All components "expect" and require certain voltages and currents. + or - voltages with varying currents and direction.

The wrong connection(s) may be harmless or they may simply fry a component.

There are standards but they are not always followed..... There are proprietary configurations that do adhere to the standards. And sometimes products (cables, adapters, etc. just use whatever color wiring happened to be cheapest at the time.

Likewise labeling can vary. If the case does not have a drive activity light, for example, then those connections would not and should not be used.

dannywil325

Prominent
Dec 30, 2019
The HDD light not flickering could mean that it is not correctly connected or perhaps the light has burned out/failed.

What connection (pins, cables, etc.) provide power to the ACER logo?

The wires must be specifically connected.

Although you may be able to just physically plug things (connectors, cables/harness, adapters) together that does not necessarily mean that the computer will start.

It is the logical connectivity that really matters. All components "expect" and require certain voltages and currents. + or - voltages with varying currents and direction.

The wrong connection(s) may be harmless or they may simply fry a component.

There are standards but they are not always followed..... There are proprietary configurations that do adhere to the standards. And sometimes products (cables, adapters, etc. just use whatever color wiring happened to be cheapest at the time.

Likewise labeling can vary. If the case does not have a drive activity light, for example, then those connections would not and should not be used.
I'm not sure if its connected or not, but my harddrive is directly behind the ACER logo in the case, so that could be the light maybe? As I can't find a wire that goes directly to it.

Ralston18

Titan
Draw out the existing connections showing all headers, pin numbers, labels, connecting wire colors.

The diagram does not need to be artistic or "professional". Just clear and easy to follow. You may need to redo it a couple of times.

I have often made photocopies of the main components and then drawn in the wires between them. Pin by pin. If one copy gets too cluttered or (more often) proves incorrect then I redo the drawing on another copy.

I am very hesitant to just say yes to something because there may be some other consideration or detail that I am not aware. And, in all fairness, that could be something that you have not yet noticed or recognized.

For the most part, I would expect that necessary end configuration will be standard. That needs to be proven.

And even if not standard, the connections need to be fully understood.

TRENDING THREADS