[SOLVED] SYSTEM_SERVICE EXCEPTION

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

EfficientSoup

Prominent
Aug 9, 2019
Alright I did all the benchmarks and not a single BSOD ( by the way they still happen after removing the 2 drivers I checked in OBM, I have a bunch of new minidumps with different errors I can upload if necessary)
As for the PSU, I tried 2, happens on both: OCZ FATALITY 550W, and Corsair Vengeance 650W
I'm seriously lost as to what to do.. Can I somehow reinstall Windows incl. all drivers, all system files without losing all my files to check if it works ? Or should I not do this as I already did chkdsk and sfc scannow ?

EfficientSoup

Prominent
Aug 9, 2019
Try this - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

it doesn't replace drivers though. All it does it installs Win 10 back to the last version update, and then you have to install the updates again. It doesn't touch your files
so i did a clean windows reinstall via bootable usb, still crashes. i tried each stick of ram individually, still crashes. I installed the system on the HDD and removed the ssd, and it survived ubm 3 times in a row. So is it possible that it was the SSD or am i just unlucky now and windows is trying to give me a false sense of security ?

EfficientSoup

Prominent
Aug 9, 2019
does it work with 2 sticks of ram in and hdd?

There is a firmware update for the m.2 on here - https://www.info.patriotmemory.com/scorch-m-2-ssd - it might fix it.
you could put m.2 back in and test if you still get bsod with new firmware

otherwise if it stops crashing, i would rma the ssd and get a new one and hope it was just a bad one.
Already had that installed. I think I'll just run the system for a week with the HDD and if it doesn't crash, I'll just RMA the SSD. Thank you for helping me solve this though, much appreciated.

gardenman

Splendid
Normally Gardenman's program will tell me ram codes but that field is blank on your report which is strange, hence the question.
Normally the RAM info is taken from the BIOS info in the dump file. This dump file (the first one) didn't contain the BIOS info, it only contained the BIOS version (sometimes the BIOS version is listed with the normal crash info).

When the BIOS info is not included in the dump file, this can sometimes mean an outdated BIOS is being used.

EfficientSoup

Prominent
Aug 9, 2019
Hello again, I have RMAd the drive and they sent me a new one, but after about a month the issue started happening again.. Help please :(
now it says that ntfs.sys failed and attempt to write to readonly memory .

Colif

Win 11 Master
Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem

ntfs.sys = New Technology File System. its the file format windows uses. I can understand why I thought it might be storage. Sorry to have wasted your time
2 of the errors on previous install sure looked like storage related errors. Did you have RAID running?
one appears to have crashed while running volume shadow copy which is used for system restore, and the other mentions a raid adapter. Both of these were while you ran UBM

attempted write to read only memory - the only read only memory in PC is in ram, used for drivers and parts of windows that have to run in ram

Are you on newest BIOS now?

So it runs fine off the hdd but as soon as you run off ssd, you start getting BSOD again?

Errors that survive multiple installs AND a new ssd aren't likely to be software. We look at dumps but I have my doubts.

ram code - PVS416G320C6K - its close, the motherboard list is for PVR416G320C6K which is model before. I expect its good.
Are the sticks in ram slots 1 & 2 (Only ask as I have helped people with ram in wrong slots and can cause bsod)

EfficientSoup

Prominent
Aug 9, 2019
id send more dumps, but windows just isnt creating them for some reason, probably due to the fact that the bsod never moves past 0%. im not using raid, so i dont know why its reading a raid adapter. i have the newest bios. the system ran just fine on the hdd, but the again it ran fine on the rmad ssd for about the same amount of time. the ram sticks are in correct slots.

EfficientSoup

Prominent
Aug 9, 2019
I've also noticed the crashes happen only in 4k write/read and 4k 64 thrd benchmarks, and do not happen in very gpu intensive games like gta v or ark, but do happen in cpu/ram/disk heavy games like paradox games ( cities skylines, hoi4 etc.)

Colif

Win 11 Master
We don't appear to have tested the CPU - https://www.mersenne.org/download/
Only so many parts of PC have anything to do with data
You tested ram multiple times, you have a new ssd, if nvme used cables I would suggest those

So data intensive actions are the trigger?

just a list of your stats and things tried so far
Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite, BIOS F42a but tried F41 and F40 as well
GTX 1060 6GB, drivers 436.15
R5 3600 @ stock
2x8 GB RAM 3200 Mhz CL16 – Memtest run multiple times
Patriot scorch SSD 512GB as boot drive – RMA, didn’t fix
2TB seagate barracuda – Seatools found no errors
550W PSU

What I tried:
  • Running Memtest86 overnight, no errors
  • Clean install graphics card drivers with DDU
  • Updating BIOS/UEFI
  • dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
  • sfc /scannow found errors and fixed them, but BSODs still happen
  • chkdsk C: /f /r , found no errors, but strangely jumped from 40% EST 20 minutes to 100% instantly and rebooted..
  • Windows memory diagnostic, no errors
  • PC only BSOD when running off SSD

could be a motherboard setting although I am speculating and I haven't looked. Check CPU out and we go from there.

EfficientSoup

Prominent
Aug 9, 2019
We don't appear to have tested the CPU - https://www.mersenne.org/download/
Only so many parts of PC have anything to do with data
You tested ram multiple times, you have a new ssd, if nvme used cables I would suggest those

So data intensive actions are the trigger?

just a list of your stats and things tried so far
Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite, BIOS F42a but tried F41 and F40 as well
GTX 1060 6GB, drivers 436.15
R5 3600 @ stock
2x8 GB RAM 3200 Mhz CL16 – Memtest run multiple times
Patriot scorch SSD 512GB as boot drive – RMA, didn’t fix
2TB seagate barracuda – Seatools found no errors
550W PSU

What I tried:
  • Running Memtest86 overnight, no errors
  • Clean install graphics card drivers with DDU
  • Updating BIOS/UEFI
  • dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
  • sfc /scannow found errors and fixed them, but BSODs still happen
  • chkdsk C: /f /r , found no errors, but strangely jumped from 40% EST 20 minutes to 100% instantly and rebooted..
  • Windows memory diagnostic, no errors
  • PC only BSOD when running off SSD

could be a motherboard setting although I am speculating and I haven't looked. Check CPU out and we go from there.
I have tired to run Prime95 for several hours, didn't crash and the max temp was about 80°C. I still think it has something to do with the SSD, because if it crashes in UBM, it ALWAYS crashes on 4k write/read benchmarks, and passed the cpu ones just fine. Also the last UBM I was able to run before it started crashing 100% of the time and i couldnt run it anymore, it said that my SSD was underperforming in the 4k category of other patriot scorches, and also that my hdd was underperforming very badly ( like 20 mb/s writes and reads ) and that it was 'ram cached" idk what that means.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I don't think any hdd will go well using 4k writes as their tfr speed is much slower and you hit their buffer much faster

I know its the 4k writes, I was just trying to see if it was something other than ssd causing it.

Can you test ssd in another PC and see if it still has same performance? It might be the model?
I can already see its not the fastest SSD out there - https://www.nikktech.com/main/artic...riot-scorch-512gb-m-2-nvme-ssd-review?start=7

Do you have latest chipset drivers on motherboard? If its slow, something isn't feeding it the data it needs. On newest bios now - I know you swapped around?

EfficientSoup

Prominent
Aug 9, 2019
Cant test in another PC unfortunately. And by HDD having like 20 mb/s read and writes, i didnt mean 4k, i meant the normal ones. Also is the ram cached thing causing an issue ? And how do I check chipset drivers ?

Colif

Win 11 Master
can you download and run a Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html
All it does is shows the names and details of drivers running on system'
When you open it, can you go to the View menu and set it to hide all microsoft drivers
can you take a screenshot showing all the columns from (and including) driver name all way to the Created Date column
Upload it to an image sharing website and show link here.

It might show us enough info to work out what drivers need replacing.

EfficientSoup

Prominent
Aug 9, 2019
can you download and run a Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html
All it does is shows the names and details of drivers running on system'
When you open it, can you go to the View menu and set it to hide all microsoft drivers
can you take a screenshot showing all the columns from (and including) driver name all way to the Created Date column
Upload it to an image sharing website and show link here.

It might show us enough info to work out what drivers need replacing.
View: https://imgur.com/a/TnUNqwL

Colif

Win 11 Master
Solution