T-Bird 800 or 1000

G

I was just wondering if it worth getting a 1GHz CPU which costs me around £240 (I live in the UK) or should I get a 800MHz which will cost around £130. I will be playing mostly 3D Games, some 2D ones like Red Alert 2, but I also need this PC for going to University with and was wondering if the 800 CPU will be long gone by the time I finish my 4 year coarse.

SoulReaper

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Don't be a cheap-skate...spend the extra dough and get the 1ghz.

"upgrading is no longer an option...it's a necessity"
Visit www.elitehunters.com
--SoulReaper =)

ledzepp98

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
first of all, i think 4 years is too long of a time span in the computer world when making predictions. odds are, both processors will still be useable in 4 years, but i think the mainstream processors in 4 years will spank our current 800 or 1gig processors like our current processors spank a pentium 200mhz. personally, i think constant upgrading is the way to go. get the 800 now, when the prices fall a bit, sell the 800 and get the 900 or 1gig. again, when the prices drop and ddr is widely available at good prices, sell your 1gig, mobo, ram and get a ddr platform. the cycle continues from there... if you buy a computer and hold it for a while (like 1 year the way things are going), it loses a lot of it's original value. therefore, you have to plunk down a chunk of money when you decide you need something faster. when you constantly upgrade (assuming you are into this kind of stuff) you get to the next speed step for very little money because you can sell the old part for almost what you paid for it (or more if you are good at finding deals). anyway, that is just my opinion... after all that rambling, my suggestion is that you should save your money and get the 800 if you will not be doing anything intense in 4 years (like typing papers), or get the 1gig and do what i explained if you plan on needing a computer that is still considered fast in 4 years.

G

I check prices at WWW.SCAN.CO.UK(I'm from the UK as well), and looking at the jump between them I would go for the Giga if you can.... as the 1.2 becomes easier to get the 1100 will drop to about the same as the giga so it could be worth waiting a couple of weeks for that....

M

G

MY GOD what are you guys talking about, suggesting a 1Ghz, AMD processor are so great at OC, why not use it to it's advantage. that why you buy an AMD instead of Intel.(cheap and overclockerble) it's not like you are going to burn the CPU, unless you have no clue of what you doing. a Bird at 1 Ghz, will probably do 1.2ghz, MAX(200mhz gain, excellent). untill you look at BLUE t-bird at 750 rocketing at 1.1-1.2(that 400mhz gain, without a sweat on the CPU) for the price of T-B750.

regardless of what 800, 900, 1000mhz BIRD you are getting they are very unlike ly to go over 1.2, something over 1.2, look into a 1.1 or 1.2Ghz at default.

what to do with the price difference? I could buy and extra 128Ram,(and run 256 total RAM) or a Geforce 2 32ddr or a THX surround sound speakers for my computer. my god it only take less than 30 mins of no brainer to OC your BIRD.

LTJLover

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I agree with the last guy. I am thinking about buying a TB750 for $100 and OCing it up to about a gig. Much better option than spending like $250 for the 1gig.

Jon
"Water-Cooled CPU Runner"

TRENDING THREADS