Tablet Makers Not Rushing Toward Windows 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

dudzcom

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
Most brand vendors will not rush" to introduce Windows 8 tablets until Q4, the site wrote.

... Um, windows 8 is coming out in October, so duh.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]dudzcom[/nom]Most brand vendors will not rush" to introduce Windows 8 tablets until Q4, the site wrote.... Um, windows 8 is coming out in October, so duh.[/citation]The OEMs have to finalize designs and get production ready long before retailers need them.

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
screw tablet makers. WinIntel and top PC manufactuers have to focus on ultrabooks with tablet capabilities. Once they come out with reasonable price and style, tablets will become obsolete and pointless.

olaf

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
[citation][nom]kartu[/nom]Demand isn't overwhelming in Apple's world either (sharp drop in ipads sold).[/citation]

that's because mostly everyone who would shell out 300+ Eu's for a table got one already and they are not looking to buy a new one next to the one they got.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
There's no reason to rush to get a Windows8 tablet on the market. It's not so much a matter of who has the best tablet as it is who has the most feature rich tablet. It doesn't make any difference if your tablet has the best looking UI and the fastest ARM processor in existance if it has no compatible software outside of the included bloat.

I own a Windows Mobile phone (KinTwoM), a WP7 phone (HTC Trophy from Verizon) an Android 2.4 tablet and an Android 2.4 phone (Samsung Transform Ultra from Sprint). My WP7 device is much easier to use and considerably more responsive than my Android 2.4 phone. For my purposes, it's actually the better overall phone. Now, for someone that needs a phone that's fully customizable, it's not an option. All you can change is the Metro background color. If MS uses the same strategy of limiting customization on Windows8 for Tablets, it's unlikely to sell any better than WP7 devices. People looking to buy Android or Windows tablets aren't looking to be restricted like on iOS devices....which so far has been the approach used by Microsoft in the mobile market.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]kartu[/nom]Demand isn't overwhelming in Apple's world either (sharp drop in ipads sold).[/citation]
You mean like Apple capturing 55% of the tablet market in the holiday quarter, and then jumping up to capture 68% this last quarter? And the Kindle Fire getting 17% in the holiday quarter and dropping to only 4% last quarter.

Of course, the fact that any quarter following a holiday quarter always results in lower sales doesn't mean anything. Or the fact that a new iPad announcement always causes a slow down in sales just before it's released have nothing to do with it.

Apple's drop was perfectly normal. It's the Kindle Fire and other tablets that saw a horrible downturn in sales.

[citation][nom]sykozis[/nom]There's no reason to rush to get a Windows8 tablet on the market. It's not so much a matter of who has the best tablet as it is who has the most feature rich tablet. It doesn't make any difference if your tablet has the best looking UI and the fastest ARM processor in existance if it has no compatible software outside of the included bloat.I own a Windows Mobile phone (KinTwoM), a WP7 phone (HTC Trophy from Verizon) an Android 2.4 tablet and an Android 2.4 phone (Samsung Transform Ultra from Sprint). My WP7 device is much easier to use and considerably more responsive than my Android 2.4 phone. For my purposes, it's actually the better overall phone. Now, for someone that needs a phone that's fully customizable, it's not an option. All you can change is the Metro background color. If MS uses the same strategy of limiting customization on Windows8 for Tablets, it's unlikely to sell any better than WP7 devices. People looking to buy Android or Windows tablets aren't looking to be restricted like on iOS devices....which so far has been the approach used by Microsoft in the mobile market.[/citation]

Outside of a small percentage of users. The vast majority of people do not customize their phones or tablets nor could give a flying fart. Most just want e-mail, texting, calling (cell phones), some web browsing, reading (tablets) and other basic functions. They want it to be fast and easy to use. A smaller group uses more expanded functions like financial apps, games, music, photos, video and other apps. Then there is the really small group that tweaks the appearance, roots, unlocks, &c.

Windows 8 will do well on tablets and smartphones if sales people, the media and techie friends and family like it. As they are the ones that really push these devices out the door and in the know. From my experience with customers (I'm an onsite computer tech) they are not even aware of Windows Phone 7. They think there is Blackberry, iPhone and Android then regular phones. To most the iPhone is the best but expensive, Android is cheap full of features and difficult to use (so none of the features get used), and Blackberry is for someone not willing to change or have one forced on them by their work.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
I'm sure most major tablet makers will have something ready when W8 officially is out. They just don't want to show too much what they have up their sleeves.

xerroz

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
I'd much rather wait it out and get a W8 tablet than an Android one. Getting sick of the unresponsiveness I get from my android phone sometimes and have tested the android tablets and it doesn't seem that worth it to shell out the money. The only flaw I've yet to experience on W8 desktop is the Metro UI which I could have no problem with using on a tablet but other than that the OS feels stable and performs well and there's no doubt it could be just as good for the tablets.

It's pretty obvious why manufacturers aren't turned on by W8. The premise (not the actual code) is based on WP7, and WP7 is trying to fight to stay in the market; right now the only thing that will get manufacturers to switch from Android is a truly lucrative OS, and WP7 isn't it. It's hard to attract developers since WP doesn't handle native code like iOS and Android, and that will change in WP8. Hopefully we'll see Microsoft as a strong competitor in the phone and tablet market, since WP7 is astonishingly smooth and great to use, but there isn't much to use yet.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Windows 8 tablet would be great if it could offer the windows 7 UI but stripped down and made more efficient, eg requirements along the lines of windows XP (300MHz CPU and 64MB RAM minimum requirements).

After that they can change the window management to allow for fully scalable windows that work in proportion so all screen space is always used but dragging sliders allows you to adjust the amount of screen space each app gets when you want to have multiple non maximized windows (kinda like the multi view in maya 3d)

The windows 7 stock taskbar and other elements are already oversized so they will work well for finger based navigation

marclee37

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]Why would they stick with Android 4.0? It obviously isn't selling. At least with Windows 8 they've got a chance to market to a tablet and desktop market.[/citation]

no. i myself is waiting to see the galaxy tab with android 4.0. to me android 3.x is a beta test, at least phone is not running this version. 4.x should be mature enough. tablet is a new product type to me, takes time for me to think its use. i hope to see a 6" device also, samsung might make it at last. they almost made all sizes of phone/ tablet.

pedro_mann

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
I do think the new Metro Interface is a great shot at capturing this market, albeit a bit late. Unfortunately, by not having a classic (Win 7) Desktop, it looks like this release will be a net loss for Microsoft. They need to at least stay strong in what they are doing well, and not put all their eggs in one basket like this. MS should be looking at these sign real carefully right now, so as to not pull a "Vista" (BTW: I liked Vista for the record, it made Windows Media Center run great for my use)

papaspud

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2012
or they are waiting to see what they can do with the new Intel ULV chips. If they can get those into a tablet, then you will have access to the full library of windows software. Running W8 on ARM I think will be a failure for the most part, as the normal windows software isn't going to work on it. Just my opinion of course..

"Most brand vendors will not rush" to introduce Windows 8 tablets until Q4"

Any Windows OS on a tablet is a nightmare for Android/ARM. OEMs don't want to get stuck with millions of tablets they can't sell at 50% retail.

It's fun to poke MS with a stick, but the days of setting IRQs is over. An x86 'appliance' tablet is a media monster with potential connectivity to 99% of the peripheral market -- thanks to Windows.

AMD stands to make bank with BrazosT.

Status
Not open for further replies.