Taiwan Cuts Chip Production prices by 10 to 15 Percent

Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]digiex[/nom]It would kill the processor business of AMD.[/citation]
Sometimes I think intel can kill off amd at any given time while still keeping the same prices, honestly i don't think its amd that is keeping their prices down.

bawchicawawa

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
[citation][nom]amuffin[/nom]Sometimes I think intel can kill off amd at any given time while still keeping the same prices, honestly i don't think its amd that is keeping their prices down.[/citation]

It also reduces the price for AMD as well... HURP DURP.

G

Even if they drop prices it will not make it's way to consumers, look at how much american's pay in corn subsidies and the price of doritos has not fallen.

madooo12

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
[citation][nom]amuffin[/nom]Sometimes I think intel can kill off amd at any given time while still keeping the same prices, honestly i don't think its amd that is keeping their prices down.[/citation]
so why doesn't it do that, maybe "out of the kindness of the web" i mean the processor industry

but i think now the 7970 should have less price and maybe some future AMD CPUs

madooo12

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
[citation][nom]madooo12[/nom]so why doesn't it do that, maybe "out of the kindness of the web" i mean the processor industrybut i think now the 7970 should have less price and maybe some future AMD CPUs[/citation]
i mean't didn't do that "out of the kindness of the web"
you understand

i'll throw some random words around...
antitrust. unfair business practice. monopoly. government.

madooo12

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
[citation][nom]de5_roy[/nom]i'll throw some random words around...antitrust. unfair business practice. monopoly. government.[/citation]
He said intel CAN do it if they wanted (he didn't say laws stopped them)
i'm saying why
the laws you mentioned apply when there are more than one company in the market, if intel gets rid of AMD the laws will be useless against them

madooo12

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
[citation][nom]intel4eva[/nom]"prices for wafers built on mature node processes "Nobody wants that garbage.[/citation]
i'm not sure but i think 28nm is mature

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
Intel has it's own chip production facilities, and AMD uses Global Fab for it's CPUs, neither are located in Taiwan, so neither would be affected by this at all. This will affect FABs based in Taiwan, not globally.

Nvidia & ATI/AMD however, use TSMC for their chip production. It might lower the prices for them, but the trickle down to the consumer would be negligible because as consumers we don't buy their chips directly. Any discounts will be absorbed by the supply chain, not passed onto us.

Probably only a win for investors IMO. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.