Take-Two Sues 3D Realms Over Duke Nukem Fail

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

man duke nukem is so 1990s ... even if it were released today it would be irrelevant. 3drealms really dropped the ball on this one taking 12 years to come out with a sequel...

and this to someone that bought the original, the plutonium pack, the atomic edition a few times over ...

you suck 3drealms.

v1ze

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
If this game were to ever appear on shelves, I would still be a disappointment. Even if Duke Nukem Forever could come close to Half Life 2's quality it would still have the decade+ of crap circling around it. I don't think modern technology could make any game say to me "yes that was worth 12+ years of development."

my_name_is_earl

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
What happen if this title in the hands of Crytek or Infinity Ward. That will be awesome. The property is up for bid the last time I've heard. I'm willing to offer 12 cents for it. Hey, I'm willing to offer something and that's rare.

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]THEY NEVER FUNDED the development of DNF , 3dr was payign for it otu of thier own pockets , take two only paid apogee (not 3dr) for publishing rights to the title there is BIG BIG difference again get your facts strait amigo ![/citation]
Apogee is the "legal" name of 3D Realms. They are the same company. Get your own facts straight... amigo.

pirateboy

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2008
[citation][nom]norbs[/nom]the fact that it was called duke nukem FOREVER tipped me off a while ago.[/citation]

well it certainly takes forever

G

Looks like they discovered the secret to longevity in the video game industry - work on the same project for 12 years and never release. Other developers get bounced from project to project, company to company, in a never ending game of relocate, find a new apartment, etc. I applaud their efforts. They managed to work 12 years at a high paying, creative tech job, padding their resume with all kinds of good stuff, without ever actually shipping product. That's the American dream my friends.

n3ard3ath

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]THEY NEVER FUNDED the development of DNF , 3dr was payign for it otu of thier own pockets , take two only paid apogee (not 3dr) for publishing rights to the title there is BIG BIG difference again get your facts strait amigo ![/citation]

Does'nt change the fact they paid 12 Millions for the publishing rights of a game that will not release cause of Apogee or 3DRealms or Whatever.
There IS a contract to oblige to when doing that kind of business, and nobody but those involved saw those lines. So nobody but the court and those involved can really have their facts straight, all people can do is speculate, and it's everyone's right too.

bill gates is your daddy

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]misnad[/nom]lol.. i'm loving the pic.. goes well with the topic![/citation]

Actually, The correct picture would be ol' Duke bending a gamer over a PC, cornholing him and saying something witty like "Your face. Your ass. What's the difference?"

cracklint

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2008
[citation][nom]Mitrovarr[/nom]Valve doesn't have the right attitude to make DNF. For it to be a real sequel, it has to be aggressively juvenile in tone, and Valve hasn't made anything like that as far as I know.Croteam could probably do a decent job, possibly Rockstar, and a few other developers... but really a game like DNF would go over horribly today. The average age of gamers has gone up substantially and the people who played DN3D are nearly all in their twenties or older, so the kind of stupidly juvenile humor that characterized Duke would be pretty soundly rejected by the target market. They'd probably claim it sucked and wasn't the same, but really, that kind of thing simply doesn't appeal to anyone over about 13.[/citation]

I'm 32 and thought duke3d was 4 in the morning. I would love to see it released. Amidst all the PC BS, queer marriages, and corrupt politicians and ceo's, I think this is exactly the escape gamers need. Maybe it wouldn't hurt to digress to a time when things were a little more black and white.

vider

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
[citation][nom]windowsmelover[/nom]I wonder if this game would have worked on Windows Me?[/citation]
LMAO! Windows Me! Old memories :)

Crytek could actually make it work, the company has the developing experience and seeing their track record in bring every modern technology to its knees, they could of made DNF stay for at least 2 years among the top 10 games. I see it, people buying better hardware to get the game running at playable FPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.