Take-Two Sues 3D Realms Over Duke Nukem Fail

Status
Not open for further replies.

reasonablevoice

Distinguished
May 10, 2008
"Who knows if we'll ever see it" Wow. Just wow. At this point, do we still need to repeat the line that has been tied to this game since I was in HS? Will we ever see it? No. Even if someone else picks up the rights, it wouldn't be the same game we've been mocking for 12 years. Duke Nukem forever is dead.

Mitrovarr

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2009
Probably what Take-Two is going for here is ownership of whatever game content was already created as well as possession of the name and previous IP, since 3d Realms obviously has no money left to pay out a lawsuit. Presumably they'd hand it over to another developer so that it might actually be created someday or perhaps simply sell it if they're taken too big a loss on this already to invest more.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
“Apogee continually delayed the completion date for the Duke Nukem Forever,” Take-Two said in the complaint, according to Bloomberg. “Apogee repeatedly assured Take-Two and the video-gaming community that it was diligently working toward competing development of the PC Version of the Duke Nukem Forever.”

Take-Two must have some real clever lawyers. I mean, use what they've been saying for many years before Take-Two gave them money, as an argument as to way they've taken a relatively shorter period of time to do what they've be supposedly doing for over a decade.

mrubermonkey

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
The game has been one big joke perpetrated by 3D Realms on the gaming community. The joke itself is in the name of the game obviously with "Forever" in the title. In fact, I believe it has been a form of mockery. This should turn into a class action lawsuit by the entire gaming community on 3D Realms or whoever owns it. Consider how much time people have wasted checking the 3D Realms website in anticipation of that game, which was promised to the community but never made. How do you remedy something like that even through the legal system? This would be a different case had they continued work on the title and eventually made good on their promise, but sometimes "When it's done" just is not good enough.

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]jkflipflop98[/nom]Valve could do the game justice. However, we would have to wait an additional 12 years for it to come out.[/citation]
And then another 5 years for the SDK... if they even decide to make one.

Mitrovarr

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2009
[citation][nom]jkflipflop98[/nom]Valve could do the game justice. However, we would have to wait an additional 12 years for it to come out.[/citation]

Valve doesn't have the right attitude to make DNF. For it to be a real sequel, it has to be aggressively juvenile in tone, and Valve hasn't made anything like that as far as I know.

Croteam could probably do a decent job, possibly Rockstar, and a few other developers... but really a game like DNF would go over horribly today. The average age of gamers has gone up substantially and the people who played DN3D are nearly all in their twenties or older, so the kind of stupidly juvenile humor that characterized Duke would be pretty soundly rejected by the target market. They'd probably claim it sucked and wasn't the same, but really, that kind of thing simply doesn't appeal to anyone over about 13.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
"hmm...3d realms is going under...LETS SUE THEM!"

whats another 12 years in this industry?

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]oh this is a new f-ing low for take two, they couldtn buy the ip form goerge so they isntead sue for it , the a-holes. they paid money for it ?? i thought the game was beign fuly funded by 3DR. if they really cared for it taht much why didnt tehy just front 3DR the money theya sked for ???i hope Take two gets absolutely ZERO for this low effort of theirs[/citation]
Take-Two have every right to sue them. When you invest $12 million into a game for publishing rights and it doesn't even get finished after 12 years I think you'd want your money back. 3D Realms are the epitomy of incompetence and are going to get burned for it. Serves them right.

G

Maybe this'll be like GnR and Chinese Democracy. If it's ever finished, everyone gets a free Dr. Pepper.

Core2uu

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
So, Take-Two is suing 3D Realms for going bankrupt??? ... well done Take-Two, well done ... you must have some great minds working at your helm.

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]Core2uu[/nom]So, Take-Two is suing 3D Realms for going bankrupt??? ... well done Take-Two, well done ... you must have some great minds working at your helm.[/citation]
You didn't read the article did you. They are suing them for sitting on their hands for 12 years while getting paid for it. 3D Realms only went broke because Take-Two pulled funding prior to starting this lawsuit. Why would you keep funding someone you want to sue? I guess they have good minds at their helm, makes sense to me.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]Core2uu[/nom]So, Take-Two is suing 3D Realms for going bankrupt??? ... well done Take-Two, well done ... you must have some great minds working at your helm.[/citation]

Take-Two is suing 3DRealms for the $12 million dollars it put toward a game that is no closer to production today than it was 10 years ago. $12 million is not pocket change and Take-Two deserves to get that money back.

Ciuy

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
Yeah baby, sue them, get the rights back and give them to someone who can actually finish it. 12 years wtf did they do in that time, even i would have finished it :))

stridervm

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2008
Wow. They just realized they're being played? I don't know how they survived if they think that way...... Yeah, for some reason I'm confused why a company isn't using company greed right now..... >.

Infinity_Wasted

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
the most confusing thing- to me- is that in 1999, the game was near-completion. I remember seeing a 9-minute video of the gameplay, and it went through several levels. I don't understand why they couldn't have jut released that. I remember reading that they switched engines for better graphics and physics, but it's not always about that. Castle Crashers and Rez are pretty simple, but I love them.

Status
Not open for further replies.