Taking Part In The 'Star Wars: Battlefront' Beta, Hands-On

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeadlyDays

Honorable
Mar 29, 2013
After playing it I have to say I am disappointed. Fighting doesn't really feel visceral, it feels more run and gun/clean/Arcady which I am not a fan of. I want more feedback on weapons, weapons feel too generic/similar. More dirt grime in explosions, damage system is also Arcady. You have a health bar on the bottom that auto regenerates x/100, don't like that. The maps I played feel super generic CODesque where they focus on spawning you and putting you in area's where there are no established lines of battle, just twitch combat and run forward and hope no one comes up behind/to your side(which is often because of the map layouts, seem to be something map design focuses on encouraging clusterf*** battles) Teamwork feels deemphasized if anything. I think they focus'd way to much on 0 downtime instant action play, so there is no real feeling of accomplishment....ever. Even after winning a game with a 10:1 ratio I felt absolutely nothing, very much just going through the actions of the typical generic shooter with updated graphics. They seems to deemphasize classes which just adds to the cluster of randomness and confusion with no realistic way or reason to try and sort into something meaningful for teamwork.

I might pay 30$ for something like this, just for the game models. Otherwise I have a host of FPS games that I own that are better fundamentally, and even graphically equal. And I bet they sell constant "expansions" to this which won't improve the fundamental design issues that they are apparently pushing. If you like playing the same old shooter games with just updated models, don't like teamwork, and just want to get in and shoot something over and over without thinking, this is perfect for you.

BarrySch

Reputable
Oct 9, 2015
Overall I like the Beta.. It's arcade like gaming style and the intended run and gun style does work well. My only gripe with it is that they have done everything they can to get away from the awful FPS stuff out there (assigned tasks each player must do or get yelled at in MP, the rigors of game play taking away all the fun) but yet they still include the dumb system where a new player starts with the most basic weapons and has to earn better weapons?
So a new player starts, see's a bad guy.. shoots him 20 times only to be shot once back and killed. What a way to encourage new players. I slugged it out and played up to the highest level in the beta just so I can now finally actually play a fair game. Seems like a stupid concept to me.
Also, they need to fix the UI and include some stuff to better indicate what team ur on, etc.. You should be able to just look at the screen and tell. Maybe there is something.. but I haven't noticed it.
Otherwise.. yes.. it is the best looking Star Wars game ever made and has a lot of potential to be the best overall Star Wars game ever made too.

Fates_Demise

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2015
@BarrySch, The new player isn't at all at a extreme disadvantage. The only thing that other players have over lvl 1 is a shield they can pop in a 1v1 fight. Which you gain shield killing ammo at lvl 2 after one round.

If your familiar with fps play, a few well placed headshots kills anyone very fast.. just aim better. my rounds from lvl 1 played as follows in k/d. 1st 4/6, joined part match also., 2nd 9/5, 3rd 16/14, 4th 12/12.. atleast with me lvl made very little difference.

Anyway gameplay is alright, I'm more of a BF fan which it definitely is not like. Flight is very um... lacking... feels like they don't have any physics applied to them. But maybe that's how they should feel?

Jesse_7

Reputable
Oct 10, 2015
1. Spawns are shit
2. Jedi and Vehicle powerups are terrible and removes any tactical advantage cause it's totally random who gets one
3. Weapons and loadouts are boring
4. Maps are disgustingly small and ugly
5, Lack of classes takes away any tactical actions such as rolling out demos to deal with vehicles
6. Everythings a garbage unlockable so there is zero fun starting out in the game
7. You can't fucking leg tie the AT-ATs? You mean the most fucking iconic thing of Hoth?

"This is only a taste of what fans can expect in November, and it seems that DICE might deliver the Star Wars experience fans deserve" - Don't lie Tom's Hardware, This game isn't what any fan of the older battlefronts wants. This is what battlefield fans want so they can stop playing battlefield in the modern era cause that is what this game is. Battlefield with star wars wall paper and even less fun. The fact vehicles are just glowing little icons literally made me hate this game. It doesn't feel like a war, it feels token. You can't make any strategies by rolling vehicles for key points cause there is a RNG chance you get one. You cant deal with vehicles unless you get a RNG powerup for a rocket launcher or get a turret and just sit there. This games an abomination and a spit in the face of a game series that is older, and did everything this game does better. Graphics are good, but that haredly matters. If the dog shit is 4k res with lighting and texture effects, it doesn't change the fact it is dog shit.

0/10

Literally made an account to post this.

hitman400

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
1. Spawns are shit
2. Jedi and Vehicle powerups are terrible and removes any tactical advantage cause it's totally random who gets one
3. Weapons and loadouts are boring
4. Maps are disgustingly small and ugly
5, Lack of classes takes away any tactical actions such as rolling out demos to deal with vehicles
6. Everythings a garbage unlockable so there is zero fun starting out in the game
7. You can't fucking leg tie the AT-ATs? You mean the most fucking iconic thing of Hoth?

"This is only a taste of what fans can expect in November, and it seems that DICE might deliver the Star Wars experience fans deserve" - Don't lie Tom's Hardware, This game isn't what any fan of the older battlefronts wants. This is what battlefield fans want so they can stop playing battlefield in the modern era cause that is what this game is. Battlefield with star wars wall paper and even less fun. The fact vehicles are just glowing little icons literally made me hate this game. It doesn't feel like a war, it feels token. You can't make any strategies by rolling vehicles for key points cause there is a RNG chance you get one. You cant deal with vehicles unless you get a RNG powerup for a rocket launcher or get a turret and just sit there. This games an abomination and a spit in the face of a game series that is older, and did everything this game does better. Graphics are good, but that haredly matters. If the dog shit is 4k res with lighting and texture effects, it doesn't change the fact it is dog shit.

0/10

Literally made an account to post this.
I was reading your post until #7, YES you can leg tie AT's. Did you even see the E3 trailer for this game? If it's not in the beta, then...it's not in the beta, not the final release.

You can indeed hogtie the walkers using a snowspeeder, I've done it successfully twice and tried two dozen times.

Overall this game does not seem like it'll be finished by november, as the hoth map is completely unfinished with broken spawn points and completely unbalanced play (a well planned rebel team can win 100% of the time, a regular rebel team has exactly zero chance of winning). Hell, half the map (at any point in time, ignoring the direction of the at-ats) is unused, and pickups for the rebels are well ahead of the spawn point (closer to imperial spawn point) while imperial pickups are behind the spawn point.

Overall the beta is a mess on hoth, though drop pod one is fine

QSV

Honorable
Feb 26, 2015
I didnt even want to try it just because of that Origin malware, but for some reason I did anyway and instantly got what I deserved.
That game is a joke. The controls alone make you think you suddenly switched to a console from the PC. Extremely jerky, inaccurate and unintuitive. Spawnpoints are totally random and stupid. For example a few on the rebel side are so well placed that you literally cant move anywhere, because incoming AT ATs have full view on it and blast everyone away, since there is no cover for miles. I couldnt believe how bad flight controls are. Hotkeys to do maneuvers and they have cooldowns too??? Really??? Those cards with cooldowns can also only be a bad joke and the total randomness of stuff laying around on the map make this a brainless arcade game for people who play shooters with a controller on a PC.
One of the worst console ports I have ever seen. You would think DICE has some experience with games, but this makes them look like some newly founded scamming indie developer who promised a lot on kickstarter but delivered nothing.

It's not $80 good, and by the time it gets to Titanfall prices, it will have 100 players. The same fate as Hardline.

Most of the feedback I'm seeing is negative, although I'm sure there are a lot of people who do enjoy it, that are playing right now. I agree that it's just shallow. I've done this 100 times already, the Battlefield formula is getting tiring, and the difficult level up grind is breaking the game balance.

arossetti

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
There's not much to argue with on the above comments. SWBF has the potential to be a really engaging game but based on the Beta it falls far short of that, and unfortunately I think by the nature of its design, it will never fully realize it's potential.

It's gorgeously rendered but noting more of a gigantic team deathmatch - no matter what you play. It really does not lend itself to any true cooperative effort or strategy. Spawns are all over the place and power ups are random and often not really helpful.

I found myself forcing myself to log in to play the beta hoping it would get better as I leveled up but always found myself jumping over to play Planet Side 2 - which while not on par graphically, provides a more satisfying experience as far as the need for strategy, coordination, and making me feel vested into the outcome of a battle.

While I wouldn't want PS2 with a SW skin thrown over it I think something akin to that model would have been much more entertaining and satisfying.

Lachezar Tsochev

Honorable
Apr 29, 2013
For everyone wondering about weapon recoil ... please keep in mind that you are not firing gunpowder to eject projectiles. You are shooting high velocity light beams, which physically should have no recoil whatsoever. Just heat. You guys just sound silly expecting something "more real".

"high velocity light beams"
that are slower than a bullet.

arossetti

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013

They are not "high velocity light beams" - they are plasma bolts encased in a magnetic field. - Why I know that is beyond me.

arossetti

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
I would like to take this opportunity to thank DICE and EA in providing this open beta. After playing this build I am fairly confident that I will never find SW BF entertaining in the slightest. As such I have cancelled my pre-order from Origin and thus saved $74.00 USD.

Thank you again!

Adroid

Distinguished
The game is somewhat fun, the major concern for me is replay ability.

There are two major categories of games:

One is a more "realistic" approach, where bullets are lethal, and you don't have superhuman jumping/running/knifing abilities. Some of the best games in this category are Counter Strike : GO, and Battlefield Bad Company 2. While the "realistic" factor is debatable (maybe not realistic all all), these games encourage teamwork and require practice and skill.

The (newer) Call of Duty style of game, where everything is super face paced, unbalanced - like an arcade game on steroids. This is the type of game where you put several SMG rounds center mass and someone is able to sprint toward you and knife you for a kill. Since Call of Duty : Modern Warfare, the series has taken a sharp turn towards the arcade like/grenade spam/super unlocks and powerups/players with more hours play and unlocks have a HUGE advantage. In my opinion this is a turn for the worst. Worse yet, the new payment model costs you 60$+ off the bat and then sells you DLC for outrageous prices. For the old school PC gamer, and those with experience in the days of incredible player-made free mods, this adds insult to injury and was the nail in the coffin for my buying dollar.

The new star wars falls into the later category. The game is absolutely gorgeous which I'm sure most reviewers will attest. But the two types multiplayer game modes available during beta I see getting old fast. I don't fault it for being "arcade-like", because if you are letter ANYONE have super powers, such as jedi powers, it goes without saying the game won't be "realistic". This is more of a insta-respawn and run toward the objective to get shredded by blaster fire approach. Fun, but not memorable. After you play for two hours you realize "wait a minute, I've been doing the exact same thing for two hours??".

Nonetheless the game is fun, well executed, and it's possible that some of the other (or future) game modes offer more than the respawn and run into the hailstorm of blaster fire strategy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS