Tape mod/BSEL mod intel q6600

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshoop

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013
ive been looking to see if i can boost the speed of this, and found this mod. I have an intel oem motherboard, so no overclocking. i wouldve much rather done that. Anyway, while reading up on doing this ive seen where you cover one pin, 2 pins, connect 2 pins, connecct 4 pins, and a bunch of variations on how to do this. I was wondering if anyone knows which one i should do/what will work. any help is greatly appreciated :)

jshoop

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013
ive been looking around more and found a good thread on overclockers.net, but the images have been removed. ive found a few of the different types

failedwt2.jpg

success1xz8.jpg

266.jpg

attachment.php

i would just start with the last picture, with the 1 pin covered, but id rather not have it fry my cpu. If anyone knows anything feel free to post

jshoop

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013
i stopped the prime 95 test when i took the screenshot like a dumb person, it runs at 3 ghz. if you look at the multiplier it runs at 6 or 9, and the screenshot was taken when it was running at 6. when its at 9 its at 3 ghz.
i'd get another screenshot but i recently upgraded cpus and motherboards, and sold the old stuff. i can confirm it ran at 3 ghz though. some motherboards don't allow it i have found, as one of my lga775 motherboards didnt recognize the difference and left it at 2.4ghz. it couldve been a bad tape job but i wasnt gonna bother trying it again

let me know how yours works out

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
just cause i ran into this thread..... and the posts are relatively new.

i was given an old dell xps 420 and was looking around to see if i could squeeze a bit more performance from it just to tinker some. i ran into this http://alumar.hubpages.com/hub/Get-more-from-your-Quad-Core-Q6600 which shows a slightly different tape job. i will be trying i it soon when i have some spare time to see how it goes.

i'll run some benchmarks before and after to see what it gains. i am curious to see what the bump in speed will do real world. thought i'd share since it sems like it is still a current question :)

jshoop

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013
Thats awesome! i never found that website, it wouldve helped me a whole lot when i was doing it. I don't think i ran any specific benchmarks, but i remember being able to play war thunder online at 60fps minimum, before i was hitting 50 (i believe from the added strain from playing online)

itd be very interesting to see some actual benchmarks! :)

Blue Palmetto

Reputable
Feb 27, 2015
I have an XPS 410 (Dimension 9200) and I was using clockgen to get a stable 2.8GHz. With the latest Windows preview build Clockgen doesn't seem to actually modify the fsb anymore and even if it did, I can't even get to 2.8 without the computer freezing up. I'm going to try this out and see if it works, because that little boost cuts down on the bottleneck it has on my GTX 960.

Status
Not open for further replies.