Task Manager not showing right amount of cores.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xian07

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015
Its an old cpu and after a long time i went into the task manager and it only shows 1 core and 2 logical processors even though the intel site mentions 2 cores and 4 threads.

Cpu: Intel Core i5 3337U
Site: http://ark.intel.com/products/72055/Intel-Core-i5-3337U-Processor-3M-Cache-up-to-2_70-GHz

Picture of task manager is included.

Screenshot_(5)_5.png

Solution
Thx guys i found the solution by myself.

What i did was:
Open run
type msconfig
went to the boot tab
then selected advanced options
then there was a check mark to select number of processors
the check mark was checked and even though it was selected at 2 cores
i unchecked the mark and restarted
and done

THX guys for all your help, but i dont know how those settings got changed in msconfig.

Pic

Screenshot_(7).png

TbsToy

Reputable
Oct 19, 2015
Core means the # of cores in the processor. Logical processors means # of threads per core. Hyperthreading means 2 logical cores. T/M might not be reading your processor right. if you have a dual core processor. Interesting it is showing the same in CPUID. Yep, something is wrong with the reading of or the processor.
W.P.

TbsToy

Reputable
Oct 19, 2015
No, I don't. Test equipment is needed. It appears that the processor is functioning properly based on what T/M is showing though. Maybe just a glitch that doesn't affect the functionality. If it performing well it might not be a problem.
W.P.

Xian07

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015
Thx guys i found the solution by myself.

What i did was:
Open run
type msconfig
went to the boot tab
then selected advanced options
then there was a check mark to select number of processors
the check mark was checked and even though it was selected at 2 cores
i unchecked the mark and restarted
and done

THX guys for all your help, but i dont know how those settings got changed in msconfig.

Pic

Screenshot_(7).png

Solution

Xian07

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015
Lol yea but i have another question,
the intel site says the turbo frequency is 2.7 ghz so whats that ?
does it like get activated under load or do u have to activate it yourself ?

Since it's a laptop, it's highly likely that you got some manufacturer bloatware on there which is going to make sure that it's got it's own power saving feature, and probably won't run at the full 2.7 GHz.

A desktop on the other hand, would be default to "Balanced", which is min. processor: 5%, max. processor: 100%. I highly recommend just using "High Performance" all the time, because a lot of power saving features will want to try to lower your hard drive so that access is slower, though saves power.

In some laptop batteries, enabling "High Performance" could damage it, but it's not really an issue in modern laptops I don't think. I do recommend using the laptop with the charger plugged in, in this mode, just in case. "High Performance" is min. processor 100%, max. processor: 100%, and won't slow down other components either.

Apr 12, 2018
You dont understand how much you saved me from not being able to sleep for a week that shit worked and i cant thank you enough <3 you may never see this but i have to thank you some how

Status
Not open for further replies.